Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: REI

Default Re: REI

Replacement for the closed Babies'R'Us in Belle Isle?

Blog Entries

I mean, that wouldn't be the most terrible thing

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I mean, that wouldn't be the most terrible thing
    True, I guess I just expected too much. In my mind I hoped for an early 2000’s era store. I know they’re essentially webstore showrooms now. It’ll still be great to have it so close to the house and I’m sure it will do well, just never thought I’d see such a highly anticipated store next to a scary Walmart. That space has been up for a while; we didn’t see lulu or TJ’s go in there.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post
    True, I guess I just expected too much. In my mind I hoped for an early 2000’s era store. I know they’re essentially webstore showrooms now. It’ll still be great to have it so close to the house and I’m sure it will do well, just never thought I’d see such a highly anticipated store next to a scary Walmart. That space has been up for a while; we didn’t see lulu or TJ’s go in there.
    Scary Walmart?

Which space has been up for a while? Babies R Us just went out a couple months ago there.

It's unfortunate that NIMBYs have managed to hold up the Classen Curve expansion the way they have. REI would have been a perfect anchor for the lifestyle portion that was planned.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    It's unfortunate that NIMBYs have managed to hold up the Classen Curve expansion the way they have. REI would have been a perfect anchor for the lifestyle portion that was planned.
    The legal issues have long been resolved.

That project is still going forward they are just busy trying to fill out and fill up both Classen Curve and NH Plaza. Still some vacancy in each even though they have brought in a ton of tenants.

Will be building more lease space on the Mamasita's site similar to the building that contains Hopdoddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Will be building more lease space on the Mamasita's site similar to the building that contains Hopdoddy.
    I have heard this will be a minute clinic. I take that information with a giant grain of salt, since there aren't even any building plans out, not to mention this doesn't seem like a business that fits with the Nichols Hills Plaza aesthetic, but wanted to see if that was something you had heard Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb911 View Post
    I have heard this will be a minute clinic. I take that information with a giant grain of salt, since there aren't even any building plans out, not to mention this doesn't seem like a business that fits with the Nichols Hills Plaza aesthetic, but wanted to see if that was something you had heard Pete.
    I've seen plans that show different tenants. I believe a restaurant is planned for the east end of the building that would replace Mamasita's and the other building to the east.

REI seems like a company DEEPLY entrenched in the faux survey result world of corporatist neo-liberal clown city planners.... "..studys show people really want a REI in the town they are going to relocate to!!" I've heard many times...not to say it's a bad store or anything, just noting I have heard this from several fancy guys, so adjust your portfolio accordingly.

They have stuff I like to buy. I can find it all on the internet, but I enjoy seeing it in person. Plus they have classes.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSteveHunt View Post
    REI seems like a company DEEPLY entrenched in the faux survey result world of corporatist neo-liberal clown city planners.... "..studys show people really want a REI in the town they are going to relocate to!!" I've heard many times...not to say it's a bad store or anything, just noting I have heard this from several fancy guys, so adjust your portfolio accordingly.
    What the heck is this post trying to say?

Quote Originally Posted by ABryant View Post
    They have stuff I like to buy. I can find it all on the internet, but I enjoy seeing it in person. Plus they have classes.
    I've bought some nice discounted Merrels there.. don't mind being a few months out of style

They recently moved the location by Park Meadows Mall to a closed Sports Authority location in Greenwood Village because that was a bigger store. The old location was an inline big box strip like Belle Isle, it was cramped and they needed more space. All in this area but the one in Downtown Denver are typical big box stores. The downtown "Flagship" location right off I-25 at Confluence Park was the 1901 Denver Tramway Power Company Building they remodeled and received $6.3 million in subsidies to open up there.

Here's a page from the architect on the project.
    Mithun - REI Denver Flagship Store

I stayed at the Inverness two weeks ago and walked over to where the old REI spot you mentioned. Much to my dismay it was indeed closed. Not sure where the one in Greenwood Village is so I did not know to go there. I usually try to get up to downtown location when in the Denver area as it is more of an experience but alas I did not have enough time this trip. I usually spend a few hours there each trip.

Last week I was at the brand new location in Rochester New York. It is not much bigger than a box type store but it is in a brand new stand alone store on the Erie Canal. Although I saw no indication at the time, it appears as if they would have the opportunity to at least try out a kayak or something.

Quote Originally Posted by CCOKC View Post
    I stayed at the Inverness two weeks ago and walked over to where the old REI spot you mentioned. Much to my dismay it was indeed closed. Not sure where the one in Greenwood Village is so I did not know to go there. I usually try to get up to downtown location when in the Denver area as it is more of an experience but alas I did not have enough time this trip. I usually spend a few hours there each trip.
    It is on the east side of I-25 north of Arapahoe Road behind Brother's BBQ and a hotel, adjacent to a Lowe's. You can seen it driving north of I-25.

Thanks. I'll look for it next year when I go to my Conference.

The vast majority of REIs I've been to are in so-so developments. I knew there was no way we were getting a flagship store. I really don't see any issue with the Babies-'R-Us location. From a green point of view, which REI cares about, it is much better to use existing building stock than build new.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    The vast majority of REIs I've been to are in so-so developments. I knew there was no way we were getting a flagship store. I really don't see any issue with the Babies-'R-Us location. From a green point of view, which REI cares about, it is much better to use existing building stock than build new.
    I kinda like it. Centrally located? Check. One less shuttered department store with no activity? Check. Easy access to highway(s)? Check.

The REI in Santa Fe, NM, is in a former depot. The 3 I've been to--Flagstaff, Overland Park and Bozeman--are all new build.

Still eagerly waiting...

They will open a store at Belle Isle Station.

Full story:

http://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r...a-store-in-OKC

What is an REI Co-op?

Edit: Figured it out
    Last edited by jonny d; 11-13-2018 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Google told me

Great to hear, hopefully they upgrade the exterior!

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    What is an REI Co-op?

Edit: Figured it out
    That is their official name.. commonly called REI

Too bad the old power plant isn't still there....would've made a lot cooler REI than the Babies R Us space.

Thread Information