Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crest Food

1. Default Crest Food

will be announced this week. going to be built in UNP behind Zio's.

Default Re: Crest Food

I thought it would get parked further north. Interesting choice behind Zio's, etc.

3. Default Re: Crest Food

i predict that the announcement will be that they are making progress on negotiations but they aren't done yet. :P

Glad to hear that they are finally annoucing this. It seem like it has been forever since the rumors first broke. It should be interesting to watch what happens to that homeland by target with Crest and walmart moving nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I thought it would get parked further north. Interesting choice behind Zio's, etc.
    I'm hearing it's going further North, just a little S. of Tecumseh Road. Guess time will tell.

A friend of mine who works for the developers told me it is going in just south of the Embassy Suites, on the south side of the development that has already broken ground immediately across the street from the hotel.

Any additional details about this store . . . will it be a typical Crest? A Fresh Market like the one on May? Or something different? Honestly, I was hoping for something different, like the Uptown Grocery being built in Edmond...especially given the speculation that a Walmart Neighborhood Market is going in on 36th...

I have been under the assumption that surely it will be like the one on May.

8. Default Re: Crest Food

How long should it take to build this place once they break ground?

9. Default Re: Crest Food

So did this get announced this week? I haven't seen anything about it.

10. Default Re: Crest Food

I believe there were issues with the plat

11. Default Re: Crest Food

any word on when the plat issue might get settled?

Is this Crest Store tabled at this time or is this simply a situation where Crest Foods is waiting on other sections to be developed before moving forward with their plans?

I talked to somebody tonight who works for Crest.
    They told me that a Norman store was planned but that it would be 1 year to 1 ½ years before the store would open. He mentioned an area across from Target for the location. He also said that they are considering a Norman warehouse.
    He mentioned that they are considering opening stores in Yukon and Shawnee in a few years

Concerning the Crest Store at SW 104th and May: Have you noticed the spoiled meat smell emanating from their meat counter? You can get the smell within 20 feet of the counter.

At a Crest that will remain nameless (All stores are owned and managed by the same family, so what's the difference?), I bought some ground beef that was bad, even though the use or freeze by date (don't hold me to the exact words) was almost a week after I bought it. Same store, about two years ago, my last visit, I bought a couple of 18 can packs of beer that were on sale at a pretty good price. I noticed that the case had a 7-11 sell by date of about a week prior to that day. That didn't bother me, I realize there is some tolerance/leeway in those dates but the same day went to pick up eggs and found several cartons that had passed the sell date and in this day and age with the salmonella problem, I decided to report the beer and eggs to the manager. The first comment was that they didn't buy beer from anybody but the distributor but when I pulled it out of my basket and he saw the 7-11 stamp on the side, he got real quiet. When I mentioned the eggs, his assistant got involved very quickly and instructed several employees to go check all eggs for expired dates. So, this was a bad response (beer) and good response when the Lady took quick action. One other item was their store made Italian sausage. It spoiled pretty quick but I will chalk that off to senility because even though I didn't think it should have spoiled that quickly, I could have been wrong. It didn't have any date on it though, it was wrapped in brown paper while I waited. Now, four items in about five years (when the store was built) is probably not too bad and I'm sure I could find the same problems elsewhere, but I haven't so I no longer go to any Crest store.
    C. T.

The Crest managers have always been very attentive to us when we have asked for products or have had complaints. We do not typically purchase meat there however.

Jdcf,
    If you remember my last statement "Now, four items in about five years (when the store was built) is probably not too bad and I'm sure I could find the same problems elsewhere, but I haven't so I no longer go to any Crest store.", I'm simply stating a problem I had. I hope they have resolved anything like these occurrences and continue to be a good local business/neighbor and if I hear nothing else, I will go back. I'm glad you have had the attention required with a complaint, as I did with the lady assistant assistant. The manager wasn't very nice though, and as a generally nice person/customer, I didn't appreciate it. I do understand somebody having a bad day, and some stores are better than others.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcf View Post
    The Crest managers have always been very attentive to us when we have asked for products or have had complaints. We do not typically purchase meat there however.

my experience with Crest goes back many years and includes from MWC to NW OKC. Since the "boys" took over the business, it has improved tremendously and I applaud their actions. As far as things going "bad" before the pull date, that can happen and I have never had a problem with making an exchange. However, I have learned to watch their sale items. . .it has been my experience that sometimes they are past the "sell by date". That in and of itself doesn't mean the product is bad, but you do need to be aware and watch it!! It seems to me that they also frequently get in a "spat" with a supplier/producer and all of a sudden, something you have been buying there for a long time "disappears" and you are told they can't get it anymore. They will always be in my rotation (Sunflower,B4LessNWExpwy, and WF), especially for staples/canned goods/non-perishables because one is very close to where I live. . the rest of my purchases are on a "caveat emptor" basis.

I do find it odd that Crest would want to open a traditional store there. With Target right across the street, and a significantly improved Homeland on the other side of Robinson, a Wal-Mart just a little further down the road, and a rumored Walmart Neighborhood grocery coming in down the road and around the corner, it seems like there won't be enough demand for all of these low-to-middle end stores. It really does seem like a Whole Foods or an Uptown Grocery store like the one opening in Edmond would make more sense. Maybe it's just wishful thinking that some decision maker would also see it that way...

How about a sunflower market to boot? http://newsok.com/sunflower-farmers-...rticle/3653431

Curtesy - Norman chamber of commerce.

21. Default Re: Crest Food

Homeland on Robinson is a dump. When i walk in there it is like a blast from the 80's

I'm no fan of Homeland, but they have spent the past 6 months upgrading that store on Robinson, and it is significantly improved. The bakery is much better, they have an enormous cheese station that is regularly staffed with an employee, they have a station with freshly cut fruit, a salad bar, an olive station, and so forth. I still wouldn't say it's a fantastic store, but it is now the nicest grocery store in Norman.

23. Default Re: Crest Food

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock View Post
    I'm no fan of Homeland, but they have spent the past 6 months upgrading that store on Robinson, and it is significantly improved. The bakery is much better, they have an enormous cheese station that is regularly staffed with an employee, they have a station with freshly cut fruit, a salad bar, an olive station, and so forth. I still wouldn't say it's a fantastic store, but it is now the nicest grocery store in Norman.
    Yeah Homeland has been trying to turn things around with upgrades. The Alameda store started to go through some upgrades over the last few months, but still need some work. Don't have a clue about the Main or Lindsey locations. I would imagine those aren't all that great since it seemed the former Albertson's were better overall.

Either way. I've been to the Crest up on May and SW 104th. The Meat Department makes me sick to my stomach. I think they try to do scented candles around it but that makes it worse I think. It was alright though. Not really a huge fan plus the coupon policy and deals at Homeland are better.

24. Default Re: Crest Food

I posted about Crest in another thread before I saw this one, so let me just reiterate that I think putting a Crest across from Super Target and a little down the way from a decent Homeland and the west side Walmart isn't a very good idea. Why can't they put it in an area of town that has less competition, or in an area where it would be a better fit? Personally, I don't like Crest stores that much in the first place, so I'd be fine without one in Norman. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by ShiroiHikari View Post
    I posted about Crest in another thread before I saw this one, so let me just reiterate that I think putting a Crest across from Super Target and a little down the way from a decent Homeland and the west side Walmart isn't a very good idea. Why can't they put it in an area of town that has less competition, or in an area where it would be a better fit? Personally, I don't like Crest stores that much in the first place, so I'd be fine without one in Norman. But that's just me.
    It should be more like the one on sw 104th and May in OKC, have you been to that one? It's nice.

Thread Information