Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Union Station - How Can it be Re-used?

1. Default Union Station - How Can it be Re-used?

Once upon a time there was a thread started on Union Station by Doug and Pete that showed off the station's architecture and people were talking about the station's history and its potential future. But then the thread, rightly or wrongly, got taken over by Tom Elmore.
    This thread asks the following question:
    How can this station be put to a greater and better use than it is now? COTPA has minimized its operations in the station and will pretty much be leaving open the main station area if I understand correctly.
    The station is owned by the city. Could the location lend itself to someday in the future being a city museum? Could it become retail? Are there restrictions on how it can be used?
    Moderators, can we please leave the discussion of the railyard out of this thread? Thanks. And Doug, can you repost your photos in this thread?

2. Default Re: Union Station - How Can it be Re-used?

Elmore will just screw up this thread, too, Steve. Anyone that wants to see them can go to this photobucket link: unionstation pictures by DougLoudenback - Photobucket ... or read about it in my blog article, http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2009/06...irca-2009.html.
    He sort of chills my interest in posting on the topic. Bad karma.

3. Default Re: Union Station - How Can it be Re-used?

OK, here are the photos from Doug and Pete that got the previous thread started:

Default Re: Union Station - How Can it be Re-used?

Perhaps the city could lease the space and part of it could be turned into a Tavern on the Green style restaurant? I've driven by Union Station, and the building itself is gorgeous. It practically begs for some sort of use that will draw people in large numbers.

5. Default Re: Union Station - How Can it be Re-used?

Does anyone know whether how the highway will relate to the station in terms of location, grade level, exits and entrances around the station. (Tom, I politely ask you not to use this question as a way to introduce the railyard argument into this thread).

Here was my proposal from a previous thread:

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-are...tral-park.html

7. Default Re: Union Station - How Can it be Re-used?

That railroad museum would overlook the remaining tracks, right? Are presuming the lobby would stay in case rail traffic returned?

I actually would like to see the old lunch room and lobby combined into museum space; even the ramp leading down to the tunnel. It's all beautiful space.

Also, the museum could be broader, like for general OKC history rather than just rail.

But no, it would not overlook the old tracks, as not shown on that diagram is the huge cargo/mail docks located just to the south. Not sure what could be done with that -- maybe even more museum space in which case it would overlook the old rail yard (even though there is nothing much left).

The most important thing to me is that the General Waiting Room be preserved for the most public of uses, so people could freely see it and use it for events. It's right up there with the Great Banking Hall IMHO.

The two side courtyards are very nice as well and could be used as picnic areas or made available as part of the event space.

No offense. But I started a thread on this already. The two should be merged.

Here's the full floorplan showing the docks:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Does anyone know whether how the highway will relate to the station in terms of location, grade level, exits and entrances around the station. (Tom, I politely ask you not to use this question as a way to introduce the railyard argument into this thread).
    As it stands now, the highway will be depressed, just a few yards behind Union Station. Now the highway guard walls may go 8-10 ft above ground behind the Union Station, but the "Central Park" pretty much ends at the highway, just yards south of the Union Station. Now how many yards I don't know due to the size of the models/renderings. Also, ODOT still has on the drawing boards an exit ramp on Robinson coming off at about what I believe they said was SW 7th and have it dead ending to the park, that is unless they take it off the drawing boards, but currently they still have the ramp in the plans, which makes no sense as it serves no purpose. Believe me, ODOT won on this one.

The station itself is "suggested" to be marketed as multi-use to anchor the far SW corner of the park. It will have bigger rentals such as bikes, sports equipment, etc. as well as possibily have a museum, restaurant, event space, 2nd floor offices for ODOT, and other amenities. There are currently no plans for paddleboats or anything in the lakes at the park. They are suggesting all water activities (boats, etc.) be done at the Oklahoma River. The "signature" for Central Park is going to be the large interactive water feature (with programmable fountains, etc.).

12. Default Re: Union Station - How Can it be Re-used?

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    No offense. But I started a thread on this already. The two should be merged.

Can we just keep this thread about the station and that's it and not central park? Central Park may or may not happen depending on the fate of MAPS 3. Why can't people just let this topic live on its own?

13. Default Re: Union Station - How Can it be Re-used?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    The "signature" for Central Park is going to be the large interactive water feature (with programmable fountains, etc.).

Hopefully it will be as cool as it sounds, unlike the Centennial Fountain in LB.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

I don't know Steve. I get aggravated by duplicate threads about similar things. I guess my take on it is that if the park or other major development does not occur around Union Station the discussion of it's possible uses is irrelevant. If the area is not approved the building continues to sit in a slum hidden by the old post office.

Also, COTPA does not have the funds to bring it up to ADA standards which is the major reason that public events have not been encouraged there. In speaking with administrators, it is the park that is causing impetus for possible alternate uses of the building. COTPA is only offering the available parts of the building for storage and not public use.

So no, I think the two topics are mutually reliant at this time. If you know something other than park developers encouraging the re-adaptive use of the grand building, then I think it does deserve it's own speculative thread.

15. Default Re: Union Station - How Can it be Re-used?

I get aggravated by people who hijack threads ... but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Hopefully it will be as cool as it sounds, unlike the Centennial Fountain in LB.
    Thanks alot! lol Centennial is scaled for the space and the budget. It is a great centerpiece. We need major space for the kind of fountain I think you wish it was such as a Bellagio or Jacarta. The park will provide space for a decent fountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I get aggravated by people who hijack threads ... but whatever.
    I catch your drift Steve.

18. Default Re: Union Station - How Can it be Re-used?

Not meaning to target you Jeff, and I just realized that's how that sounded.

No. It is a beautiful grand building that is a beacon surrounded by slum. It deserves to be discussed. I think the same thing about the possibilities that Sante Fe offers. They are both totally underutilized and were practically given away. They should be in civic hands.

20. Default Re: Union Station - How Can it be Re-used?

Now, on the other hand, I think we provided some great entertainment Jeff when everyone thought we were at war. Maybe we could stage something for them....

The battle of Sanka Crystals in front of Coffee Slingers? We could duel it out with plastic cups on sticks. lol. No seriously, you are right about stirring something up about this building.

22. Default Re: Union Station - How Can it be Re-used?

What's amazing about it, and looking at Pete's ideas, you realize that this building can easily have five different major entrances and themes. It's almost like a mall....

23. Default Re: Union Station - How Can it be Re-used?

Ok, I'll play.

When considering space, don't forget that the 2nd floor has usable space and that offices are present on the first floor and the tunnel space appears usable. Plus, at least some outside space exists on the south side. I may have taken a pic or two a few years back ... I'll have a look.

I have no idea what the total square footage of usable space is, but it would seem to have enough to be something of a tourist destination, were the space put to use for the usual suspects which were mentioned before:

1. Museum collection ... trains particularly and Oklahoma City and County, generally (since we don't have one);
    2. Hands-on areas for kids and miniature train enthusiasts;
    3. Exhibit and event space like Pete showed;
    4. Food vendors/restaurants;
    5. Gift shops;

I'd suppose the above are givens. But, that still leaves a heck of a lot of space, I'd suppose, for something more creative. That part is harder for me since I'm not that good at being creative. It would be good to have some thoughts "outside the box" to come up with something really nifty.

A miniature train ride? See ... I'm not very creative.

24. Default Re: Union Station - How Can it be Re-used?

Doug, should the interior addition from the early 1980s be kept or scrapped?

25. Default Re: Union Station - How Can it be Re-used?

The question is premature, in my estimation. First, a grand concept/plan would be established and then decisions like that would be made. Are you talking about the area in the southeast corner, below?

Thread Information