Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - October 2019

Weather General Weather Discussion - October 2019

May touch 90F one more time on Wednesday here in OKC. Otherwise, perfect temperatures are arriving.

Tuesday: Storms will be across far W and NW OK.

Wednesday night into Thursday: We should see storms along I-44 corridor, possibly severe. Highs in OKC may not make 70F on Thursday

Weekend: Temperatures for the upcoming weekend look great, but rain chances may sneak in throughout. Right now they are somewhat low.

Next week: Looks like highs in 70s with lows in 50s, perhaps a night of upper 40s for a low around Tuesday.

Fall is coming.

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - October 2019

I think think this has to be my favorite forecast from you yet.

^

Haha... No kidding.

I know it can stay warm well into fall but the combination of nearly-90 temps plus crazy high humidity has been unbearable. Cannot wait until it cools down and I can actually turn off my a/c.

But I did see a hint of another warmup after this cool stretch is over.

I don't know if this is a stat that anyone actually keeps track of but this has to be one of the most humid years in OKC history.

Decided to do some quick calculations to satisfy my curiosity on the humidity thing. This is from Mesonet.

January: Average = 62% | 2019 = 70%
    February: Average = 64% | 2019 = 75%
    March: Average = 60% | 2019 = 64%
    April: Average = 62% | 2019 = 66%
    May: Average = 69% | 2019 = 77%
    June: Average = 68% | 2019 = 74%
    July: Average = 64% | 2019 = 66%
    August: Average = 65% | 2019 = 70%
    September: Average = 66% | 2019 = 71%

So...not great. Looks like the last month with below average humidity here was May 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Decided to do some quick calculations to satisfy my curiosity on the humidity thing. This is from Mesonet.

January: Average = 62% | 2019 = 70%
    February: Average = 64% | 2019 = 75%
    March: Average = 60% | 2019 = 64%
    April: Average = 62% | 2019 = 66%
    May: Average = 69% | 2019 = 77%
    June: Average = 68% | 2019 = 74%
    July: Average = 64% | 2019 = 66%
    August: Average = 65% | 2019 = 70%
    September: Average = 66% | 2019 = 71%

So...not great. Looks like the last month with below average humidity here was May 2018.
    Thanks for the stats thats interesting. Thing is here we are either wanting humidity to break drought or wanting drought to break humidity so to speak. Low humidity means less moisture and then more fire danger. And high means we had a lot of rain.

Also it seems the seasons are all 1 month late. Winter seemed to drag out and then spring was flooding and lasted thru end of Jun. Now summer lasting thru Sep. Lets hope we don’t lose that month and haves some nice fall weather extended too.

Yeah something like Fall 2016 would be ideal, where Sep/Oct/Nov were all above normal. Hoping we avoid the inverse of Spring 2018, where April was 6.6 degrees below normal and May was 4.3 degrees above normal...

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    Thanks for the stats thats interesting. Thing is here we are either wanting humidity to break drought or wanting drought to break humidity so to speak. Low humidity means less moisture and then more fire danger. And high means we had a lot of rain.

Also it seems the seasons are all 1 month late. Winter seemed to drag out and then spring was flooding and lasted thru end of Jun. Now summer lasting thru Sep. Lets hope we don’t lose that month and haves some nice fall weather extended too.
    I think we have to just realize a shirt has occurred and what we know as “winter” is no longer confined to December-February, same for summer in May-September. Winter across the central US seems to last longer into spring and starts later in the fall.

Chance of rain in C OK for Thursday has gone down significantly from last post. It looks like the corridor for all of the rain and storms will be further NW. Temperature relief is still in play for all.

Today is the "true" last day of summer. Shouldn't see long stretches of upper 80's until next spring.

Finally. We suffered long enough.

A pretty significant cold front is on the way for mid-next week (Oct 10-11), looks like some decent storm chances as well. The models are even showing temps possibly in the 50's for kickoff at OU/TX

SPC outlining 15% probability of severe storms impacting I-44 corridor and points east on Thursday afternoon. This will be the first major cold front of the season.

Temperatures Thursday will reach 80s with high humidity. Friday will be temperatures in the 40s and 50s with a blasting north wind.

Short-Range models suggesting a localized area of severe storms developing across SW OK later this evening. SPC outlining SLIGHT risk for all of SW OK to just the edge of the OKC metro. If sunshine comes out and heats things up more across OKC, the risk will likely be expanded a bit north and east.

If storms are to develop, they have a good shot at being severe and potentially supercell in nature. They will be moving very quickly off to the NE. Tornado parameter is low at 2%. Hail and wind gust damage is primary concern.

Severe thunderstorm watch out for most of the western half of Oklahoma, including Oklahoma City until 3 am.

9:00 AM: Cold front appears to be just west of Kingfisher and screaming southeast. Would guess it blows through the northwest side of the metro around 11 and be through the area no later than 2pm. Also think the severe weather threat might be limited with the front moving faster than expected.

Here comes fall!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	current.TAIR.grad.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	15655

This cold front looks brutal. Won't be fun to be outside in a couple of hours.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    It's affecting a large part of the mid section of the country: 'Historic' winter storm could bring up to 2 feet of snow to central and western USA

FREEZE WATCH:

Areas Affected:
    Alfalfa - Atoka - Beckham - Blaine - Bryan - Caddo - Canadian - Carter - Cleveland - Coal - Comanche - Cotton - Custer - Dewey - Garfield - Garvin - Grady - Grant - Greer - Harmon - Hughes - Jackson - Jefferson - Johnston - Kay - Kingfisher - Kiowa - Lincoln - Logan - Love - Major - Marshall - McClain - Murray - Noble - Oklahoma - Payne - Pontotoc - Pottawatomie - Seminole - Stephens - Tillman - Was hita

Effective: Sat, 10/12 3:00am Updated: Thu, 10/10 8:09pm Urgency: Future
    Expires: Sat, 10/12 9:00am Severity: Moderate Certainty: Possible

Details:
    ...FREEZE WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY
    MORNING...
    * WHAT...Sub-freezing temperatures as low as 30 possible.
    * WHERE...Central, east central, northern, northwest, southeast,
    southern, southwest and western Oklahoma and northern Texas.
    * WHEN...From late Friday night through Saturday morning.
    * IMPACTS...Frost and freeze conditions could kill crops, other
    sensitive vegetation and possibly damage unprotected outdoor
    plumbing.

Information:
    Take steps now to protect tender plants from the cold. To prevent
    freezing and possible bursting of outdoor water pipes they should
    be wrapped, drained, or allowed to drip slowly. Those that have
    in-ground sprinkler systems should drain them and cover above-
    ground pipes to protect them from freezing

21. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - October 2019

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    At my house in Denver, 83 at 2pm, 19 and sleeting at 10pm on Wednesday. 3 inches of snow Thursday!

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    At my house in Denver, 83 at 2pm, 19 and sleeting at 10pm on Wednesday. 3 inches of snow Thursday!
    Going to Red Rocks for a concert in early November. I was wary of the weather being an outside concert. Still have my fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Denver bottomed out at 9 degrees on Friday, crushing the previous record low for that date of 22 set in 1946. This was an absolutely epic early season polar Front.

See some posts about real deal severe weather chances next Sunday/Monday for a large part of the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    See some posts about real deal severe weather chances next Sunday/Monday for a large part of the state.
    SPC outlined 15% for Sunday across E and SE OK. C OK looks to be too far west for storm initiation. I will update if any of this changes.

Otherwise enjoy the beautiful fall weather. Warmer and closer to 80 over the weekend ahead of the storm mentioned above. The storm will knock us back into 60s and low 70s for next week.

Thread Information