Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: If you could have ONE restaurant come to OKC what it would be?

Default Re: If you could have ONE restaurant come to OKC what it would be?

"What? You have something against ham?"

The best restaurant in general I've eaten at recently was Tupelo Grill in Whitefish, Montana.

Tupelo Grille & Fine Wines specializes in Cajun and Southern cuisine, fresh sea food, steaks and pasta. Fine Dining in the heart of downtown Whitefish Montana.

Wish we had a decent seafood place.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    The best restaurant in general I've eaten at recently was Tupelo Grill in Whitefish, Montana.

Tupelo Grille & Fine Wines specializes in Cajun and Southern cuisine, fresh sea food, steaks and pasta. Fine Dining in the heart of downtown Whitefish Montana.

Wish we had a decent seafood place.
    Have you ever had McCormick's & Schmick's Seafood & Steaks ? We could actually have a chance at getting one here in downtown OKC, as this is their kind of market.

Seafood Restaurant Kansas City, MO - Steakhouse Kansas City | McCormick & Schmick's

Quote Originally Posted by OKVision4U View Post
    Have you ever had McCormick's & Schmick's Seafood & Steaks ? We could actually have a chance at getting one here in downtown OKC, as this is their kind of market.

Seafood Restaurant Kansas City, MO - Steakhouse Kansas City | McCormick & Schmick's
    I haven't. Looks good!

Prunepicker,
    The lady was Jewish from New York if I'm not mistaken and I assume she knew what their "laws" required. Provolone is for other favorites of mine, but pastrami and Swiss on rye is what I prefer over all of them. I learned to enjoy them when I lived in the Northeast for 3 1/2 years.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    The deli was keeping in line with Jewish dietary laws. I thought meat
    and dairy could be served together if they, Kosher Jews, weren't going
    to eat it.

Swiss instead of Provolone?

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Prunepicker,
    The lady was Jewish from New York if I'm not mistaken and I assume she knew what their "laws" required. Provolone is for other favorites of mine, but pastrami and Swiss on rye is what I prefer over all of them. I learned to enjoy them when I lived in the Northeast for 3 1/2 years.
    C. T.
    Maybe we're long lost brothers, C.T.....I, too, LOVE those!

Zookeeper,
    Good to see you "brother"! I really like the way they prepare them in a good NYC deli, or a Washington, D. C. deli. I'm not sure if they steam the bread but it's not grilled, and as much as I like grilled sandwiches, I prefer the pastrami and Swiss with the soft, hot rye. I also like to get my rye at the bakery in Uptown Grocery or Sky Bread on North Western. I suspect Ingrid's has good rye as well, but like Sky, they are a little too far just to go for bread.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    Maybe we're long lost brothers, C.T.....I, too, LOVE those!

Either Wards House of Prime (Milwaukee) or House of Prime Rib (San Francisco).

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    I am surprised how many people want branches of national chains here! I LOVE the restaurant scene here and think we have a wide variety of very high quality restaurants. I have lived in all four corners and the middle of the country and this city has a great dining scene. And many of my visitors from across the country have said the same.

But I digress, if there was one restaurant I could have here (although having it here would take away something I look forward to when traveling!) it would be Columbia Restaurant - Florida’s Oldest Restaurant a regional chain from central Florida. Delicious Spanish/Cuban food. So unique. I scratched the itch last March when I returned to Celebration for the first time since moving here. Soooo good. But I don't want them to open here because I don't want to see the homogenization of our nation's restaurant scene.
    I have been to Columbia Restaurant in Celebration. I thought it was good. I would not call Columbia a chain since there are only a few locations. Celebration creeped me out. It was a town created by Disney from scratch that reminded me of the Truman Show or the Stepford Wives. The houses had to be one of a few designs. Disney does not own the town anymore. A parent told me that a lot of people were pulling their kids out of the school in Celebration because they were trying to use a lot of trendy methods of teaching that were not working. That was in the year 2000. I do not know what it is like now.

Bigray in Ok

10. Default Re: If you could have ONE restaurant come to OKC what it would be?

We lived in Celebration for 8 years. We loved it. (But we love it here even more!) There actually is a lot of architectural diversity in town and it is all very attractive. The whole town is very pedestrian friendly with lots of preserve areas and lots of walking trails. It is all really well thought-out. The school there is a public school and is now operating at a high level of stability and effectiveness. It wasn't weird living there at all. We loved it because once you get outside town, Kissimmee isn't much to speak of for permanent residents. Well worth a stop if you are visiting Walt Disney World--it is about 10 minutes off property, so really close. And go eat a meal at Columbia, it is delicious and unique.

Even though I know longer live in OKC, I would like to see OKC land a Ruth Chris. A very established, venerable steakhouse with a big city feel as you find RC in such big time cities of Atlanta, Houston, Tampa, Dallas, Boston etc..... I think that OKC should also support a nice fresh seafood restaurant with emphasis on fresh, grilled and not the usual fatty fried seafood. I think Classen Curve would be a great location for Ruth Chris!!

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Even though I know longer live in OKC, I would like to see OKC land a Ruth Chris. A very established, venerable steakhouse with a big city feel as you find RC in such big time cities of Atlanta, Houston, Tampa, Dallas, Boston etc..... I think that OKC should also support a nice fresh seafood restaurant with emphasis on fresh, grilled and not the usual fatty fried seafood. I think Classen Curve would be a great location for Ruth Chris!!
    CC is supposed to be getting one

When I went to Ruth's Chris in downtown Atlanta, I was quite impressed with the feel, although you should expect big city feel out of stuff located in big cities.

Have you been to Red Prime? That's got a bigger city feel, IMO, and better steaks. While it doesnt have a big city feel, Ruth's Chris steaks aren't better than those at The Ranch. And we're getting a fresh seafood restaurant from the Good Egg Group as well. I just don't get the interest in higher end chains when we've already got better local restaurants here.

Prunepicker Guest

I understand the gist of this thread and there's nothing wrong with it.

I believe we need to encourage new restaurants created and owned by
    locals rather than bringing in chains. A city can't be unique if it isn't any
    different than the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Pappadeaux
    +1 for Pappadeaux ... I'd try to get a part time job just to eat up my paycheck

Its not a Restaurant but I would love to see Bojangles in the OKC area.

Agree I would for Pappadeaux to come to town.

Quote Originally Posted by bhawes View Post
    They are coming to Oklahoma! Opening this year in Tulsa.

Fast Food - White Castle
    Chain - Ruby Tuesday
    Small Private - Danna's Bar-B-Que and Burger Shop (Branson MO)

Pappadeaux's will open in Tulsa ??? Wow !!!

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    Pappadeaux's will open in Tulsa ??? Wow !!!
    I-44 just east of Yale. In the Midtown village shopping center.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bhawes View Post
    I've seen them in Texas but never dined at one.

It doesn't surprise me that Tulsa will be Pappadeaux's first and perhaps only Oklahoma location. It's actually expected. Meanwhile, as good as it gets down here is Red Lobster.

OKC will have turned a corner when upscale national establishments start opening here first rather than Tulsa.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    It doesn't surprise me that Tulsa will be Pappadeaux's first and perhaps only Oklahoma location. It's actually expected. Meanwhile, as good as it gets down here is Red Lobster.

OKC will have turned a corner when upscale national establishments start opening here first rather than Tulsa.
    It has been pointed out previously that you are incorrect about upscale national establishments always opening up in Tulsa first.

Thread Information