Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: local bands in the 60's

Default Re: local bands in the 60's

I used to throw the Oklahoma Journal from '65 to '67. Walking around NW OKC at 4 in the morning, listening to KOMA on my transistor, I used to hear ads for "Battle of the Bands" In places like Fargo, ND; Hutchinson, KS; Omaha, NE. These weren't local bands but I still remember some of the names:
    Spider and the Crabs
    Eric and the Norsemen
    The Golden Pharoes

Back then KOMA was one of a handful of clear channel radio stations. That's not to be confused with a station owned by an incredibly nasty media conglomerate of the same name; a clear channel station was allowed, after sundown, to boost their signal to a then maximum output of 50,000 watts. The only other clear channel I can remember from back then is WLS in Chicago.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    I used to throw the Oklahoma Journal from '65 to '67. Walking around NW OKC at 4 in the morning, listening to KOMA on my transistor, I used to hear ads for "Battle of the Bands" In places like Fargo, ND; Hutchinson, KS; Omaha, NE. These weren't local bands but I still remember some of the names:
    Spider and the Crabs
    Eric and the Norsemen
    The Golden Pharoes

Back then KOMA was one of a handful of clear channel radio stations. That's not to be confused with a station owned by an incredibly nasty media conglomerate of the same name; a clear channel station was allowed, after sundown, to boost their signal to a then maximum output of 50,000 watts. The only other clear channel I can remember from back then is WLS in Chicago.

Rick
    Don't forget we listened to Wolfman Jack on the station in Del Rio, Texas. The call letters escape me.

Quote Originally Posted by USG '60 View Post
    Don't forget we listened to Wolfman Jack on the station in Del Rio, Texas. The call letters escape me.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I thought he was from L.A.????

Wolfman Jack was from N.C..

Wolfman Jack did work at a station in Del Rio, Texas where he made a name for himself.

Bigray in Ok

You know there were some bands who came through okc so often they could be called "local". Ted Nugent and the Amboy (?) Dukes is one..............

Used to see them for extra change..donations....

Does anyone remember what band or bands that Jay Amos played in?

Quote Originally Posted by LeethalDose View Post
    There was more than one band named "the Continentals" in the early/mid 60's and it still causes confusion today! The Continentals that were buddies to the Sound Pounders centered around Gary Roland and the pink brick home at SW 78th & Youngs Blvd (the SW corner).
    That was before my time. That's why I had to email my friend to see if it was the same Continentals. He confirmed that it was and said that they did a reunion gig with Ronnie Kaye to benefit the OKC bombing victims years ago. It was in preparation for that gig that I first heard him mention the Continentals. He bought a new guitar to use. lol

Quote Originally Posted by TaoMaas View Post
    He confirmed that it was and said that they did a reunion gig with Ronnie Kaye to benefit the OKC bombing victims years ago.
    We played that gig - all five original members of the Sound Pouders - it was awesome!

Was Harvey and the Wallbangers playing back than, or did they start playing later on?

Quote Originally Posted by OkieInTexas View Post
    Was Harvey and the Wallbangers playing back than, or did they start playing later on?
    They were playing in the '60's for sure. Don't know how early but were by the mid60's.

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    Does anyone remember what band or bands that Jay Amos played in?
    Amos and Andy.............

Quote Originally Posted by papaOU View Post
    Amos and Andy.............
    Not funny!...I know you didn't know him or you wouldn't have posted that... But, he was a friend of mine from the southside who is now deceased. My question was serious. "Just saying", and I don't need a smart-ass reply.

Not funny!...I know you didn't know him or you wouldn't have posted that... But, he was a friend of mine from the southside who is now deceased. My question was serious. "Just saying", and I don't need a smart-ass reply.
    Not meant to slight you or friend...................

No I did not know him and did not know he was deceased......

If there had been information in ANY of the postings that the individual had passed on I might not have made the remark..........

Not meant to slight you or friend...................

No I did not know him and did not know he was deceased......

If there had been information in ANY of the postings that the individual had passed on I might not have made the remark..........
    Enuff said...It just struck me wrong. Let's be friends, OK? I even like Uncle Frank.

Enuff said...It just struck me wrong. Let's be friends, OK? I even like Uncle Frank.
    No problem...........

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OkieInTexas View Post
    Was Harvey and the Wallbangers playing back than, or did they start playing
    later on?
    If he was then his band wasn't very well known. I remember him becoming
    popular around the early 80's Did you know he died just over a year ago?

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LeethalDose View Post
    We played that gig - all five original members of the Sound Pouders - it was
    awesome!
    And which instrument did you play?

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    I thought he was from L.A.?
    He was born in Brooklyn and died in North Carolina. He was in his mid to late
    50's.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by skyrick View Post
    ... a clear channel station was allowed, after sundown, to boost their signal
    to a then maximum output of 50,000 watts. The only other clear channel I
    can remember from back then is WLS in Chicago.
    Didn't KOMA have 500,000 watts? It was the strongest in the USA, if I
    remember right.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Didn't KOMA have 500,000 watts? It was the strongest in the USA, if I
    remember right.
    Yes sir. Could hear in LA. Listened to it driving to OKC from San Diego.

Help!!!!! Someone help me figure out who the Henchmen from the 60's were, the band member's names???????????????????????????????????????????

Danny White and the Psycho's Danny still plays around town, he use to be a regular at Dannys Blues Saloon on 10st. The psycho's played at the Battle of the Bands at the armory on SW 44 between agnew and Penn.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
    Danny White and the Psycho's Danny still plays around town, he use to be a regular at Dannys Blues Saloon on 10st. The psycho's played at the Battle of the Bands at the armory on SW 44 between agnew and Penn.
    Almost always got into a fight for attending a dance at the armory. Grant turf!

Almost always got into a fight for attending a dance at the armory. Grant turf!
    I remember going to dances at the armory. Anyone remember Mike Compton or band he played in?

Thread Information