Widgets Magazine

Thread: Watch Out For Flying Chairs

Default Watch Out For Flying Chairs

Remember when The Daily Oklahoman used to post the professional wrestling results in their sports page ? Does that still happen ?

Default Re: Watch Out For Flying Chairs

Lol. I remember getting really upset when l was like 6 or 7 when a wrestler on Ch. 4 Saturday Night Wrestling with Danny Williams "threw" chairs and started "hitting" a referee with a folding chair.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Lol. I remember getting really upset when l was like 6 or 7 when a wrestler on Ch. 4 Saturday Night Wrestling with Danny Williams "threw" chairs and started "hitting" a referee with a folding chair.
    Those were the days back with Danny Hodge a legendary good guy and the bad guys being tag team Dandy Jack Donovan and Handsome Ronnie Reed with Mrs. Dandy Jack Donovan their manager. She rudely referred to Hodge as that "little chicken neck Hodge". Too often the fake matches were settled over illegal moves made when the referee wasn't looking sometimes from being temporarily knocked out. It was so fake and frustrating that I eventually got tired of watching the insanity. So not surprised if true that pro-wrestling matches don't happen anymore in Oklahoma.

I hadn't thought of those names in decades. I got to stay up on Saturday nights and watch it with my grandfather, who loved it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Yes, that was during the days of the bad guy wrestlers of the 60s: Great Bolo, Dandy Jack Donovan, Karol Krauser (Flying chair thrower) in then WKY-TV studios in NW OKC.

The new MAPS 4 coliseum's interior planned for the Fairgrounds looks much like the old coliseum in Stockyard City.

Saturday Night wrestling with promoter LeRoy McGuirt, he was the promoter for the Saturday TV and upcoming Friday Night wrestling events scheduled for the Stockyards Coliseum.

McGuirk was fortunate that he wasn't hit by one of those metal folding chairs so frequently thrown by Karl Krauser in one of his many temper tantrum rages .

Danny Williams would close Saturday Night TV wrestling with 'Watchout for Flying Chairs.'

The Wrestling era was different in Oklahoma City where many of the blacks and minorities were seated (general admission) in a quarter section of the coliseum. I remember the night Karol Krauser came up the steps to the black/minority section of the coliseum and quickly exited when he encountered several men who pulled out their switch blades and one man shouted 'Come on up here you pig, we'll gut you like a hog.'

Annually, Wrestling was held downtown in the old Municipal Auditorium (now Civic Center Music Hall) which also the site that hosted the 'All College Tournament before the State Fair Arena was built in 1963. Recall when Danny Hodges' father stabbed bad guy Angelo Savoldi in the auditorium and the morning paper showed him in his hospital bed at St. Anthony's.

The last Exchange Avenue bus would leave downtown around 11 p.m. , for Main Street, often it would wait for fans to exit the coliseum before heading toward the Exchange Avenue bridge for downtown.

Yeeesh! I had no idea of that!

Danny Hodge did not tell his dad that the wrestling was fake, his dad thought Danny's foes were cheating for real. That and the fact that he was a heavy drinker led to his dad stabbing the man.

Thread Information