Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Burgers in OKC

Default Best Burgers in OKC

I still haven’t had a Nics burger but personally the best burger I’ve ever had has been at Republic in Classen Curve which is the burger featured in the 405 article.

Here’s their list:

Here are 10 Messy Burgers You Need to Try Now.

Big Water Grill, 800 Riversport Dr., OKC

Chef Nathan Frejo’s Eddy Burger can be upgraded to a Big Eddy Burger, which doubles the meat to a half pound. It comes with BWG sauce, Monterey Jack cheese and the appropriate vegetables, making for a delicious mess.

Guyutes, 730 NW 23rd St., OKC

The Return of the Mac is what it sounds like: a huge burger with mac ‘n’ cheese between the patties, topped with a couple of golden onion rings. The tomato concasse and spicy mayo add to the layers of flavor, and you’ll need both hands for this one.

Jamil’s Steakhouse, 4910 N. Lincoln, OKC

The Supreme Court Burger comes with Jamil’s delicious house-made pimento cheese (yes, it’s a little spicy), and we highly recommend adding bacon. The pretzel bun is a nice choice and holds up well to this burger’s half pound of beef.

McClintock’s Saloon and Chop House, 2227 Exchange Ave., OKC

The Back-to-Bed-Burger is the most accurately named on the list, since former Chef Ethan Williams designed the full meal on a bun to be nap-inducing. It comes with two eggs, cheddar, tater tots and a ham steak, and they do provide a knife to get you started.

Ned’s Starlite Lounge, 7301 N. May Ave., OKC

It’s an homage to the Italian joint that used to occupy the space, so the Nomad Burger comes with fried pepperoni and a roasted garlic-tomato reduction to complement the grilled onions and peppers, and mozzarella cheese. Eat this one over the plate.

Patty Wagon, 3600 N. May Ave., OKC

Everything about this place is old-school awesome, including the onion rings, and that’s why it’s on both lists. The Big John Double is satisfying even as a single, but as a double, the combination of pepper jack cheese, green chiles, jalapenos and spicy mayo makes this a feast for two.

RePUBlic Gastropub, 5830 N. Classen Blvd., OKC

The Belle Isle Burger might be a legit knife-and-fork burger, largely due to the beer cheese fondue that accompanies the grilled onions and sauteed mushrooms.

Shuff’s Main Street Grill, 112 W. Main St., Jones
    It’s worth the drive to Jones to enjoy the throwback charm of this popular diner, including the double-meat chili cheeseburger. You’ll want a spoon to get the extra chili, and don’t go during the high school lunch break or you’ll end up waiting for a spot.

Spark, 300 Oklahoma City Blvd., OKC
    OKC’s newest burger destination also made both lists, and it’s impossible to order the wrong thing at this Scissortail Park anchor. The Spark Hottie has a Schwab’s ghost pepper cheese hot link, swiss cheese, spicy truffle aioli and Louisiana hot sauce for an extra kick.

Tucker’s Onion Burgers, tuckersonionburgers.com
    The onions are on top so this one is a bit of a hybrid, but it’s also a delicious, messy, monster of a burger. The Mother Tucker is a pound of beef, so plan your day accordingly, or take a friend to split it with.
    https://www.405magazine.com/10-messy...ed-to-try-now/

I’ll second Tuckers as a solid burger. For fast food or drive thru I enjoy Johnies particularly because of the fat shredded cheese. Over the next couple weeks I intend on trying out Nics, Bar Arbolada, and Spark for the first time.

Default Re: Best Burgers in OKC

I still place the burgers at La Baguette on N. May as my favorite. They have a unique blend of ground beef that cannot be bested IMO. I must try a burger at Nic's, the walk up place, the lounge was good but didn't live up to the hype everyone talks about. (The food and space was good, but the service was really bad, and there were some seedy patrons that were taking away from the atmosphere).

We have been trying to complete the OK Route 66 passport and you come across a ton of burger joints along the way. I wouldn't mind a passport book for burgers across the entire state!

Every time I try to go to Nics, I take one look at the line and think to myself yeah this isn’t worth it. But either this week or the next I’m going to tough it out and get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Every time I try to go to Nics, I take one look at the line and think to myself yeah this isn’t worth it. But either this week or the next I’m going to tough it out and get one.
    It's decent, but not great, it's pretty much just a standard diner burger. Get there before they open or go on a rainy day and the line shouldn't be too bad.

Any list by Greg Horton (which that one is) features the places where he's friendly with the operators and they give him free food and drink as long as he keeps pumping sunshine about them.

That must not be the case at Bar Arbolada and Nic's, because by consensus they are near the very best in town (and justifiably so) but not on his list.

I would trust the opinion of most posters here over any local food writer; at least people here are honest and not corrupted with undisclosed freebies. Dave Cathey is every bit as bad.

I keep hearing about Bar Arbolada but from the typical Oklahoman type sources. Pete have you been there? Any truth to their quality of burgers?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I keep hearing about Bar Arbolada but from the typical Oklahoman type sources. Pete have you been there? Any truth to their quality of burgers?
    Yes, they are fantastic.

Flycatcher Club will open soon (next to Beer City Music Hall) and will serve that burger and more.

I would recommend trying the Picasso Burger at Picasso Cafe. Not a burger place but they make a damn good burger. Bar Arbolada's burger is very good and I will go back there next time I am back in OKC.

Not in OKC, but Sid's in El Reno is the gold standard of onion burgers. Sorry to say but my last two visits to Tucker's were pretty underwhelming, one at the Classen Curve location (which was just bad), and the second time at the original spot on 23rd. I was jaded having eaten at Sid's just days earlier.

The original Nic's (very important distinction, not the place on Robinson) is awesome, just strap on the feedbag for sure. You can certainly call that an onion burger, too, it's just kind of in a class of its own.

The burger at Bar Arbolada is kind of like the perfect American burger, like what McDonald's would be if it was really good. I can see why it got the attention of Alton Brown, because it's just no nonsense but perfectly seasoned, cooked and dressed.

I have had the burger at Palo Santo three times and it was excellent. The last time it was a little too heavy on the sauce, which kind of brought it down a notch. Still, I would have no hesitancy recommending Palo Santo for anything. The burger pairs nicely with their top notch French fries, easily among the best you can get in OKC.

Also, I haven't been yet and not in OKC (Moore) but I would like to try out Hi-Fi Burgershop. The social media photos (I know, I know) of the burgers look delicious.

I still get the occasional craving for a theta burger from Johnnie's (and other times, their chili cheese burger).

For a newcomer, I think Spark is pretty good, too.

My favorite old-fashioned style burger I had in the last year was at Arnold's in Tulsa. About as good as anything I've had anywhere representing a mouthwatering, perfect classic burger.

Palo Santo is just great all around.

So happy to see that they have gained a loyal following.

Belle Isle Brewery - Honey-Pepper bacon Burger.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Not in OKC, but Sid's in El Reno is the gold standard of onion burgers. Sorry to say but my last two visits to Tucker's were pretty underwhelming, one at the Classen Curve location (which was just bad), and the second time at the original spot on 23rd. I was jaded having eaten at Sid's just days earlier.

The original Nic's (very important distinction, not the place on Robinson) is awesome, just strap on the feedbag for sure. You can certainly call that an onion burger, too, it's just kind of in a class of its own.

The burger at Bar Arbolada is kind of like the perfect American burger, like what McDonald's would be if it was really good. I can see why it got the attention of Alton Brown, because it's just no nonsense but perfectly seasoned, cooked and dressed.

I have had the burger at Palo Santo three times and it was excellent. The last time it was a little too heavy on the sauce, which kind of brought it down a notch. Still, I would have no hesitancy recommending Palo Santo for anything. The burger pairs nicely with their top notch French fries, easily among the best you can get in OKC.

Also, I haven't been yet and not in OKC (Moore) but I would like to try out Hi-Fi Burgershop. The social media photos (I know, I know) of the burgers look delicious.

I still get the occasional craving for a theta burger from Johnnie's (and other times, their chili cheese burger).

For a newcomer, I think Spark is pretty good, too.

My favorite old-fashioned style burger I had in the last year was at Arnold's in Tulsa. About as good as anything I've had anywhere representing a mouthwatering, perfect classic burger.
    Will second the Palo Santo burger, their chicken sandwich is pretty good too, we're probably going to eat there before the Belle & Sebastian show since it got moved to Beer City Music Hall (yay, don't have to deal with Friday night Bricktown, lol).

This may start something, but isn't a true "onion burger" one that has had onions mixed with the meat in the patty and then grilled (Sid's) as opposed to what a ton of people call an "onion burger" which is really just a "burger with grilled onions on top" (Tucker's, I believe (I can't eat there because they use peanut oil to fry *and* on the grill), and Nic's, IIRC)?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Will second the Palo Santo burger, their chicken sandwich is pretty good too, we're probably going to eat there before the Belle & Sebastian show since it got moved to Beer City Music Hall (yay, don't have to deal with Friday night Bricktown, lol).

This may start something, but isn't a true "onion burger" one that has had onions mixed with the meat in the patty and then grilled (Sid's) as opposed to what a ton of people call an "onion burger" which is really just a "burger with grilled onions on top" (Tucker's, I believe (I can't eat there because they use peanut oil to fry *and* on the grill), and Nic's, IIRC)?
    Isn’t the proper way to make an onion burger to start the onions on the grille, then take a ball of meat and smash it onto the onions? I don’t think the onions are actually mixed in with the meat to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Isn’t the proper way to make an onion burger to start the onions on the grille, then take a ball of meat and smash it onto the onions? I don’t think the onions are actually mixed in with the meat to start with.
    Yes. Or, you put the patty on first, top with a ton of onions and then after a few minutes, flip it over so the onion-side is on the gridle.

It's the only way to caramelize the onions properly. I think the cover-with-onions-and-flip method is how Tucker's and most the authentic places in Oklahoma do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Originally it was done that way (onions mixed in), but I guess that's gone by the wayside now in favor of the method you and Pete said?

So only an onion burger can be a best burger?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Originally it was done that way (onions mixed in), but I guess that's gone by the wayside now in favor of the method you and Pete said?
    Just did some more research and it sounds like they weren't exactly mixed in completely, but smashed on top of the meat, but not sure if the patty was on the grill yet or not (sounds like a patty got put on the grill and onions smashed into the top, then the patty was flipped, per Pete's post).

i might have made one or two of these in my lifetime...

slice the onions as thin as possible, preferably with a tool such as a mandoline. take a portion of ground beef (80% lean, patted into a ball), salt one side, and place the seasoned side on a griddle. season the other side and place a portion of onions on top. with a weighted press or large spatula, press the onions into the meat until you have a patty around 1/2" thick. leave the first side to brown on the griddle, around 3 minutes. the burger will release more easily when sufficiently browned. flip the burger and top with cheese, if desired. allow the second side to cook for around another 2-3 minutes. the onion will fry in the beef fat from the first side and will caramelize fairly quickly since they are sliced paper-thin. as the onions cook, the juices will steam through the half-cooked patty so that the meat will not dry out.

this is the way.

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned New State Burgers. I have a quite a few friends who’s opinion I value and they love the place. The balance between bun veggies and cheese is perfection. I love it too, but my opinion may not qualify since I only eat veggie burgers ��. I will tell you also they have amazing fries and a fried banana pepper recipe that uses a kfc like batter that’s unreal! And to top it off they make the best old fashioned in town with some allocated bourbons you can’t find in most places!

^^^^ New State is a great burger but my favorite is Tuckers with double meat, double cheese, ketchup and mayo and no lettuce or tomato

Haven't had burger punk which is weird since it is 4 blocks from my casa

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i might have made one or two of these in my lifetime...

slice the onions as thin as possible, preferably with a tool such as a mandoline. take a portion of ground beef (80% lean, patted into a ball), salt one side, and place the seasoned side on a griddle. season the other side and place a portion of onions on top. with a weighted press or large spatula, press the onions into the meat until you have a patty around 1/2" thick. leave the first side to brown on the griddle, around 3 minutes. the burger will release more easily when sufficiently browned. flip the burger and top with cheese, if desired. allow the second side to cook for around another 2-3 minutes. the onion will fry in the beef fat from the first side and will caramelize fairly quickly since they are sliced paper-thin. as the onions cook, the juices will steam through the half-cooked patty so that the meat will not dry out.

this is the way.
    This guy smashes.

youtube george motz he is literally a burger historian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0AH7h9zZ_4

23. Default Re: Best Burgers in OKC

I've not been there in a few years and I think it's changed hands since the last time I was there but what used to be called Stockyards Cafe, think it's called Heather's Cafe now...... Made a burger that blew Nic's and everyone else out of the water, and I was a big fan of Nic's when Justin was still cooking there. Haven't been much since the kid took over and with Covid it wasn't a place I wanted to smash myself in to but I ate there so often that Justin didn't even ask me what I wanted unless it was fried chicken day..... Then he would ask if I was having a burger or chicken.

But the burger at Stockyards Cafe had the most amazing crust on both sides of the burger that I think I've ever had and was as juicy as could be.

24. Default Re: Best Burgers in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    youtube george motz he is literally a burger historian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0AH7h9zZ_4
    George is a legend! I wish I knew people could be burger historians for a career, my life would be SO different!

My favorite burger with flair was the Nutty Rooster at the Garage, with a bison patty, but that's gone now. - Siracha slaw, peanut butter, and jalapenos, SO GOOD! I also miss Lip Smackers so much- that was in a gas station that has since been torn down. They were amazing!

Nic's original is my favorite basic burger, Tuckers is close behind for a fast service spot. S&B is a good reliable burger if you like fun toppings.

Quote Originally Posted by gqandy405 View Post
    I’m surprised nobody has mentioned New State Burgers. I have a quite a few friends who’s opinion I value and they love the place. The balance between bun veggies and cheese is perfection. I love it too, but my opinion may not qualify since I only eat veggie burgers ��. I will tell you also they have amazing fries and a fried banana pepper recipe that uses a kfc like batter that’s unreal! And to top it off they make the best old fashioned in town with some allocated bourbons you can’t find in most places!
    We ate there and it was pretty good, we thought the fries were decent, we don't remember seeing the fried banana peppers, and their menu doesn't have them listed, so I guess they don't do them anymore.

Thread Information