Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I40/I44 Interchange

Default Re: I40/I44 Interchange

I mean there's no way we're gonna get this lucky, but if we were lucky they'd take a chunk of the infrastructure bill money and rebuild the interchange and do it in 2-3 years.

I am really surprised this interchange hasn’t gotten some attention, even just rebuild of the I-40 bridges. It is a very busy route for the trucking industry. As much as Oklahoma loves to talk about I-40 you would think something would have been done with this over the past 50 years just for that reason. It is totally inadequate.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I am really surprised this interchange hasn’t gotten some attention, even just rebuild of the I-40 bridges. It is a very busy route for the trucking industry. As much as Oklahoma loves to talk about I-40 you would think something would have been done with this over the past 50 years just for that reason. It is totally inadequate.
    While around 50 years is around when bridge decks normally need to be replaced at the level of maintenance ODOT does, I want to say they have done at least two sort of interim deck patch/resurfacing most bridge decks would not have (though it seems like they spend more time constructing it, than the resurfacing seems like might have improved the ride across). The piers probably have something closer to 100 year lifespan if they just redeck it, though if they widen it they may replace those at the same time.

4. Default Re: I40/I44 Interchange

I wish they would at least put up instructional signage on the I40W to I44E zipper merge, e.g. "Fill both lanes and take turns at the merge point"

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    I mean there's no way we're gonna get this lucky, but if we were lucky they'd take a chunk of the infrastructure bill money and rebuild the interchange and do it in 2-3 years.
    We will probably see these projects bumped up along with all the I-40 bridge replacements in MWC with the transportation bill. A full interchange replacement for I-44/I-40 doesn't seem to be on ODOTS radar though. At least widening the bridge over I-44 isn't too far away.(In ODOT time anyway)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	I-40.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	17030

*Assuming the bill passes anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    We will probably see these projects bumped up along with all the I-40 bridge replacements in MWC with the transportation bill. A full interchange replacement for I-44/I-40 doesn't seem to be on ODOTS radar though. At least widening the bridge over I-44 isn't too far away.(In ODOT time anyway)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	I-40.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	17030

*Assuming the bill passes anyway.
    They should bite the bullet and rebuild the entire intersection with a 4 stack right hand exits only.

That would leave on 1 bottleneck in the entire metro. The I40/35/235 mess

HangryHippo Guest

They should bite the bullet and rebuild the entire intersection with a 4 stack right hand exits only.

From your lips to God’s ears!

8. Default Re: I40/I44 Interchange

But keep the SB I-44 to EBI-40 Left Turn for HOV into the city.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I-40: Eb & wb bridges over i-44.
    Jp# 2895104 ffy 2024 bridge & approaches $ 48,760,000
    jp# 2895108 ffy 2029 interchange $ 20,000,000
    $ 68,760,000

So am I interpreting this correctly that 2029 is when they plan to start the I-40/I-44 interchange? I doubt with it that far away that they would have any concept plan of what it would look like, right? (Here's hoping for flyover bridges with exits/entrances on the right).

I know funding has to be realistic, but I really wish they could move that up sooner to have all our major highway interchanges upgraded in the next few years. Will make both OKC and Tulsa feel much different in terms of driving when that gets achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by golden_gatorcane View Post
    So am I interpreting this correctly that 2029 is when they plan to start the I-40/I-44 interchange? I doubt with it that far away that they would have any concept plan of what it would look like, right? (Here's hoping for flyover bridges with exits/entrances on the right).

I know funding has to be realistic, but I really wish they could move that up sooner to have all our major highway interchanges upgraded in the next few years. Will make both OKC and Tulsa feel much different in terms of driving when that gets achieved.
    yeah but keep in mind the bridges over I44 (which is I40) is the back up at this intersection and redoing those will solve most of the traffic issue in 2024

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    yeah but keep in mind the bridges over I44 (which is I40) is the back up at this intersection and redoing those will solve most of the traffic issue in 2024
    I assume they’re going to do more than simply redo them right? The main issue is the bottleneck so they’re going to widen them?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I assume they’re going to do more than simply redo them right? The main issue is the bottleneck so they’re going to widen them?
    yes they will wide enough for 4 lanes each direction i believe .. (but will be striped for 3 )

Looks like Portland Ave bridges will be happening at the same time, if I read your other post right Boulder. Some much needed improvements in this area.

yes they will wide enough for 4 lanes each direction i believe .. (but will be striped for 3 )
    Good deal! Do you have any other information about future phases? Will they redesign the interchange and remove the left exits?

HangryHippo Guest

Wider I-40 bridges will be most welcome.

That said, they need to remove the left exit from EB I-40 to EB I-44 so those attempting to cross every lane after they get on at Meridian can stay to the right.

17. Default Re: I40/I44 Interchange

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post

That said, they need to remove the left exit from EB I-40 to EB I-44 so those attempting to cross every lane after they get on at Meridian can stay to the right.
    I hope they'll do the same for S/W I-44 to EB I-40. People getting off from 10th St have like 1/2 mile to get to speed and cross 4 lanes of traffic.

I really want to see some signage on how to use zipper merges for the W I-40 to E I-44 exit, e.g. "Fill both lanes and take turns at the end." People fill the right lane, and jump across the dotted line to try to block people trying to do the right thing by using the left lane as well.

Quote Originally Posted by zefferoni View Post
    I hope they'll do the same for S/W I-44 to EB I-40. People getting off from 10th St have like 1/2 mile to get to speed and cross 4 lanes of traffic.

I really want to see some signage on how to use zipper merges for the W I-40 to E I-44 exit, e.g. "Fill both lanes and take turns at the end." People fill the right lane, and jump across the dotted line to try to block people trying to do the right thing by using the left lane as well.
    They just need to continue those two lanes all the way thru to 44 and then one of the lanes can turn into the exit for 10th street. That would help that backup from happening. So many people immediately think they need to merge left once they are on 43 but the lane continues and doesn’t end already as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post

the worst of this maybe any where is those getting off the turnpike (from tulsa) going south on I35 and then trying to exit at 122nd for the truck stops ..

I've been complaining about I-40/44 since I moved here in 2011. Will be super nice when that is finished. I have a reverse commute meaning I live in the city core, paseo, and work in Warr Acres just off NW Expressway. Traffic going home and coming to work is never really bad unless there is a wreck and even than I know every back road available.

21. Default Re: I40/I44 Interchange

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    They just need to continue those two lanes all the way thru to 44 and then one of the lanes can turn into the exit for 10th street. That would help that backup from happening. So many people immediately think they need to merge left once they are on 43 but the lane continues and doesn’t end already as it is.
    Mmm, that would be beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by zefferoni View Post
    Mmm, that would be beautiful.
    And would be pretty easy to do. I think just one bridge on 44 to expand with additional lane.

I-40: Eb & wb bridges over i-44.
    Jp# 2895104 ffy 2024 bridge & approaches $ 48,760,000
    jp# 2895108 ffy 2029 interchange $ 20,000,000
    $ 68,760,000
    Given the base JP # (28951), the plans have been drawn up for awhile. Current plan sets are in the 34000 range. However, finding them on ODOT's website is like finding a needle in a haystack.

24. Default Re: I40/I44 Interchange

I hope they keep the WB I-44 to EB I-40 left exit for the potential use as an HOV exit toward downtown. Keep it but still add the much needed flyover toward downtown as well.

But yes, good to hear the I-40 bridges at I-44 will be expanded by 2025 - way overdue!

The city's first/only 5-stack opening in 2029?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That interchange was really bad the day it opened.

Just like the one at I-240/I-35.
    Haven’t heard anything on this one in a while now

Thread Information