Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intresting residental architecture

Default Intresting residental architecture

I don't know if there is much intrest, but I appreciate architecture. In past threads we have commented on commercial buildings, but I have not seen a thread on residence's or private home in and around Oklahoma City. What are your thougths and what is your favorite residence. I have many here is just one. Ann Arbor Estates Arbor Ave. It has a monkey grass roof over the garage. There is intresting brick and a bottle window to name a few of the homes features. http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assess...91060001uA.jpg The pic does not do the home justice.

Default Re: Intresting residental architecture

Being a lover of Streamline Moderne I was going to direct you to NW corner of NW 40th and Shartel and the SE corner of 18th and Lincoln Blvd. Since I had not been by the 2nd one in years, I was using google maps to verify the street. Horror or horrors, it looks like it is GONE. Yee Gads, that place was an historical treasure unless the people who bought it from Mr Livingood !5 or so years ago had messed it up. Hopefully I have goofed somehow and it is still there. After I recoup from this, I will point out some more. I think this is a great thread idea. Everyone pitch in. Someone tell us the address of the Bruce Goff house east of Belle Isle. I always just drive around until I find it. Weirdly layed out neighborhood and all.

Quote Originally Posted by USG '60 View Post
    Someone tell us the address of the Bruce Goff house east of Belle Isle. I always just drive around until I find it. Weirdly layed out neighborhood and all.
    I don't know the exact address, but you go north on Villa from NW Expressway (that's the corner where the library is), then turn right (east) on the first street past the school.
    It's about a block down on the right hand side.

2400 NW 59TH ST is the address Goff residence.

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assess...41220001yA.jpg

There is also a Art Deco home in the Shepard neighborhood. 2240 NW 27th.

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assess...56180001uA.jpg

600 NE 19TH ST is the other Art Deco home.

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assess...74275001yA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TaoMaas View Post
    I don't know the exact address, but you go north on Villa from NW Expressway (that's the corner where the library is), then turn right (east) on the first street past the school.
    It's about a block down on the right hand side.
    59th & Billen, if I remember right...

There is a pair of houses just to the west of N. Western on NW 11th. A green single story, and a red 2 story that I think are really cool.
    The red 2 story is directly behind it.. I'm not sure on its address.. kind of in the middle of what should be an alley. This street view link *might* work.

An interesting "mongrel", indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by jstanthrnme View Post
    There is a pair of houses just to the west of N. Western on NW 11th. A green single story, and a red 2 story that I think are really cool.
    The red 2 story is directly behind it.. I'm not sure on its address.. kind of in the middle of what should be an alley. This street view link *might* work.

I've always liked those houses. I think they were designed by J3 Architecture.

Don't forget about the Wells Residence, and Fitzsimmons residence in SOSA, as well as the soon to be Lovallo residence and a few others getting off the ground. See the SOSA thread for pics.

10. Default Re: Intresting residental architecture

One of my favorites is the English Tudor house at 14th and Hudson in Heritage Hills.

Google Maps
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

That's the Overholser mansion. Sure wish I and everyone else knew how to inbed those street views. It sure would be nice if every house we mentioned had a picture with it.

12. Default Re: Intresting residental architecture

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    One of my favorites is the English Tudor house at 14th and Hudson in Heritage Hills.

Google Maps
    I remember when that house, and several other architectural gems in Heritage Hills were destined for the bulldozer (many years ago). I used to drive by that house just to study it. It was in pretty bad condition, but is now restored beautifully.

[QUOTE=jbrown84;199504]One of my favorites is the English Tudor house at 14th and Hudson in Heritage Hills.

It was on the Heritage Hills Home Tour last fall. . . home of the Humphreys.

also . . . Overholser Mansion is at 405 NW 15th.

15. Default Re: Intresting residental architecture

Quote Originally Posted by USG '60 View Post
    That's the Overholser mansion.
    Nope.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Touche', ya'll.

17. Default Re: Intresting residental architecture

Close. They are similar.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Shucks... I was hoping to be confused for an expert. (kicks rock)

[QUOTE=foodiefan;199597]
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post

It was on the Heritage Hills Home Tour last fall. . . home of the Humphreys.
    The former mayor, not the kids/recently discussed, Grant/Blair.

Any home or building built by OKC's own Rand Elliot. An amazing architect and generally all around interesting guy. He is truly an Oklahoma asset.

If you can get your hand on his hardback book entitled "Listening to the Land" I highly recommend it. I have an autographed copy myself.

(he designed the boathouse on the Oklahoma River)

Rand typically does commercial design, not so much residential. Ironically, I about ran into his Porche yesterday as you can't see the tiny thing on the road. Sorry Rand!

Oh he's put up some amazing residential projects. Several here locally and one in particular in Greenwich, Connecticut. Truly a work of art. (built for an art collector)

i think i saw Rand's book at Full Circle recently. not sure if you can still get them on Amazon. that house in connecticut is amazing.

Two that haven't been mentioned:

Wayne Coyne's (Flaming Lips) house near NW 13 and Blackwelder.

Contemporary house overlooking Lincoln and downtown on NE 6 west of Lindsay.

In Norman:

Ledbetter House designed by Bruce Goff at Brooks & Chautauqua 2 blocks west of OU. Small but amazing house, architecturally.

Does anybody know what's being built there on the south side of NE 10th St, near Lottie? It looks like it's going to be a very modern home, but it's kinda hard to tell just yet.

Thread Information