Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonic

Default Re: Good news and bad news at Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Luxton View Post
    You know what, I don't even care about this anymore. The JFCCW is one of the few foodstuffs I actually like at Sonic, but I'm trying to watch my figure, and I've decided that maybe their removal from the menu is actually a blessing in disguise. It's just one less thing for me to gorge on while I'm ordering my Route 44® drink during Happy Hour, which is just about the only reason I ever go to Sonic in the first place.

This is Sonic's loss, not mine. I'll keep ordering my drinks there and just go somewhere else to eat, somewhere where the food's a lot better and healthier than Sonic's, anyway. Shouldn't be that hard.
    The drinks your still planning on buying are more unhealthy than the food Sonic serves.

2. Default Re: Good news and bad news at Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    It doesn't sound like healthy food has been a big concern to you until now. And Sonic has healthy choices available if that's what you're really interested in. I assume that you know that healthy food is not a forte for fast food places anyway and most people know that before they go there.
    I suspect that if the only reason you really ever went to Sonic was for a loss leader Happy Hour drink they won't miss your business too much.
    The 44oz Happy Hour drink is no 'loss leader.' They make good money on those. That's one reason virtually every restaurant gives free refills - perceived value.

I'm a sucker for the happy hour there too. I tend to get the Route 44 at least once a week (vanilla Diet Dr. Pepper, easy, easy ice). Even the Happy Hour price is crazy though considering its still higher than most c-stores and I can often buy a liter for $1.25 or even on sale for $.99 at the grocery store. There normal price is just ludicrous at over $2.

3. Default Re: Good news and bad news at Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    The drinks your still planning on buying are more unhealthy than the food Sonic serves.
    He could be getting an unsweet iced tea for all you know. Not that bad for you.
    Still corrupting young minds

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    ... I tend to get the Route 44 at least once a week (vanilla Diet Dr. Pepper, easy, easy ice).
    In my opinion, you're short one easy, at least.

5. Default Re: Good news and bad news at Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    In my opinion, you're short one easy, at least.
    Yeah, at $1-$2+ a drink, I'm not paying for ice! That said, my wife won't even let us use our refrigerator's ice maker. She makes me buy ice from Sonic every week and fill the ice bucket in the freezer because she way more prefers their tiny cubes to the chunks ours makes. FYI - Sonic ice makes for a terrible Maker's on the rocks though.

Had to laugh. Your missus is definitely not the only lady I've heard of who prefers keeping a regular supply of Sonic ice.

It doesn't sound like healthy food has been a big concern to you until now. And Sonic has healthy choices available if that's what you're really interested in. I assume that you know that healthy food is not a forte for fast food places anyway and most people know that before they go there.
    I suspect that if the only reason you really ever went to Sonic was for a loss leader Happy Hour drink they won't miss your business too much.
    I'm in a situation where I have to eat out a lot (PM me for more info, ladies XD) but I'm a big believer in Eat This, Not That and it's helped me to understand that there are, if not healthy, then at least healthIER choices that can be made at most restaurants. Sonic, however, is not one of these restaurants. Have you ever looked at their nutritional info? Not a lot of healthy options there, and the ones that are, like the wraps and the salads, they've been doing away with in a lot of markets. Their grilled chicken sandwich isn't too bad but they serve it with mayo and I can go to the Chickfila in the same parking lot and get a much better one without mayo for less money. I liked the JFCCW because it actually wasn't too horrible for me, and because it was cheap and, most of all, DELICIOUS. But now that that's gone, there's not too much else I'll order from their menu, besides maybe their awesome new Chicago Dog every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    Have YOU ever looked at their nutritional info? XD There are actually quite a few low- or even no-calorie drinks they serve, even in the Route 44 size. The diet sodas, or the some of the teas, like bandnerd mentioned. I actually get the same thing that BBatesokc gets pretty often, a Route 44 Diet Dr Pepper with vanilla. Only 80 calories in that, and that's all from the vanilla flavoring. And I'm all about the diet cherry limeade. 25 calories of goodness in that thing, compared with 460 in the non-diet version. But I promise the regular doesn't taste 18.4x better! Don't drink your calories, people!

And I knew someone would try to call me out on that drink thing, too. Sorry it didn't work out better for you. LOL

9. Default Re: Good news and bad news at Sonic

I like a good unsweet cranberry iced tea. Just a hint of fruit and all the caffeine :P

Sonic will happily keep their mayo in the jar if you ask them too, as will most places for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Sonic will happily keep their mayo in the jar if you ask them too, as will most places for that matter.
    Be that as it may, Chickfila's grilled chicken sandwich tastes better to me, and I believe it's cheaper (but I'll have to double-check that the next time I go to both places). Also, I can get buffalo sauce for it there, which they don't have at Sonic. One of many things they don't have at Sonic.

So no, the mayo issue alone doesn't change things any.

12. Default Re: Good news and bad news at Sonic

Speaking of Chick-Fil-a we drove through there the other night on our way to a baseball game. Stopped at the one in MWC. We hadn't eaten all day so we each got our own sandwich and shared some fries and a soda. It was $13 and mediocre at best. Which is surprising because I remember them as having the best chicken sandwiches. We soon wished we'd gone in to Cheddars and split and entree for about $10.

13. Default Re: Good news and bad news at Sonic

I've never been impressed with Chick-Fil-A. I ate it in college because it was in the student union, but burned out on it before the end of my fall freshman semester. I don't see what the big hype is about it. But, that's probably for another thread!

I don't see why we should compare every place, though. Every place has its special deals. So what if Sonic doesn't have buffalo sauce? If that's what you want, then go to a place that does. If I want some chili cheese fries fast, then I'll go to Sonic. If I want buffalo chicken, then I'll go to BWW's.

El Pollo Loco would be a nice addition for this area...

Speaking of Chick-Fil-a we drove through there the other night on our way to a baseball game. Stopped at the one in MWC. We hadn't eaten all day so we each got our own sandwich and shared some fries and a soda. It was $13 and mediocre at best. Which is surprising because I remember them as having the best chicken sandwiches. We soon wished we'd gone in to Cheddars and split and entree for about $10.
    I can relate. My mother LOVES Chick-Fil-A (would probably eat there daily if she had her way). I have tried them a few times but, like you, seemed mediocre (not a good value for the money). Their spicy one is an improvement, but again, overpriced. One of the best chicken sandwiches in the biz is still Wendy's (their spicy chicken is even better), but approaching $5 for a chicken sandwich, can't make it a daily thing. I like Braum's chicken biscuits but $2 for this tiny piece of chicken just doesnt cut it (add cheese and egg and it gets pricey). For the price, the chicken needs to be full sized or cut the price to a buck.

Wish KFC would do breakfast, they have some of the best biscuits around and they should do the chicken part right.

The 44oz Happy Hour drink is no 'loss leader.' They make good money on those. That's one reason virtually every restaurant gives free refills - perceived value.

I'm a sucker for the happy hour there too. I tend to get the Route 44 at least once a week (vanilla Diet Dr. Pepper, easy, easy ice). Even the Happy Hour price is crazy though considering its still higher than most c-stores and I can often buy a liter for $1.25 or even on sale for $.99 at the grocery store. There normal price is just ludicrous at over $2.
    I hope you understand that when I said "loss leader" I didn't necessarily mean that I thought they were losing money on every drink. I just meant that it was a greatly reduced price offered to draw people in who would hopefully buy other higher profit items.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Luxton View Post
    I'm in a situation where I have to eat out a lot (PM me for more info, ladies XD) but I'm a big believer in Eat This, Not That and it's helped me to understand that there are, if not healthy, then at least healthIER choices that can be made at most restaurants. Sonic, however, is not one of these restaurants. Have you ever looked at their nutritional info? Not a lot of healthy options there, and the ones that are, like the wraps and the salads, they've been doing away with in a lot of markets. Their grilled chicken sandwich isn't too bad but they serve it with mayo and I can go to the Chickfila in the same parking lot and get a much better one without mayo for less money. I liked the JFCCW because it actually wasn't too horrible for me, and because it was cheap and, most of all, DELICIOUS. But now that that's gone, there's not too much else I'll order from their menu, besides maybe their awesome new Chicago Dog every once in a while.
    Everyone has their preferences and that's why there are numerous types of fast food places. A new Chick-Fil-A opened up not far from me a few months ago. I went once and thought it was overpriced and too bland for me. I haven't been back. For me, choosing a healthy option means it has to taste good too. I"m not going to order something just because it has zero calories. I only have fast food once or twice a week though so I can splurge a little when I do.

18. Default Re: Good news and bad news at Sonic

I hope you understand that when I said "loss leader" I didn't necessarily mean that I thought they were losing money on every drink. I just meant that it was a greatly reduced price offered to draw people in who would hopefully buy other higher profit items.
    I get ya - but it doesn't work with me. I don't get an urge for a Vanilla Diet Dr. Pepper and then spontaneously decided to add cheeseburger and tots.

I get ya - but it doesn't work with me. I don't get an urge for a Vanilla Diet Dr. Pepper and then spontaneously decided to add cheeseburger and tots.
    Congrats on your power of self control.

Speaking of Sonic drinks. Check out Limeades for Learning. I participated last year and its cool to see money go to a good cause.

Question Do you tip at Sonic?

Just wondering what everybody else does at Sonic. And if you do tip, how much, usually? I will occasionally tip, but it all depends on the carhop. If she's cute, I'll tip her a dollar bill. If she's just okay-looking, I'll let her keep the change. And if it's a guy, I don't tip at all.

What about you guys?

Default Re: Do you tip at Sonic?

I tip every carhop at Sonic. I give about a .50 to a dollar every time.. Especially in the summer.

If life has treated you well...tip car hops an amount that will bring a light to their eyes. Won't break you and the smile they give you will be worth it. Lay a five-spot on them--or better if you're in the mood...

I treat them like any waiter/waitress, based on quality of service, 10--20%

I always tip, usually around a dollar but it's usually just me ordering, so that represents a good percentage of the bill.

If the weather is particularly bad, I'll tip more.

Thread Information