Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic

Default Re: Republic

I prefer the scotch egg over the potato skins, which are too greasy for me. However, the Republic Burger is great!

I recommend the fish and chips as well. They're excellent.

agreed, best fish and chips I've had in OKC.

I ate there again yesterday afternoon. We split the potato skins and pub pretzel as appetizers, then I had the nachos as my meal (more vegetarian options please!); all of the above were quite good. I noticed a little too late that the menu states that they will be happy to create custom beer flights, so I'm definitely going to take advantage of that next time.

Our server both times has been Sonny, who has given some of the best service I've ever had. Even when the place was crowded with a long wait list, we never felt rushed or hurried away when we stayed to catch the end of the game. He is very knowledgeable about both the food and drink menus, and is extremely polite and professional.

It's a gastropub, the vegetarian place is next door. Let us carnivore's have our paradise, 105 Degrees needs all the support they can get!

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    It's a gastropub, the vegetarian place is next door. Let us carnivore's have our paradise, 105 Degrees needs all the support they can get!
    It's not as if this stuff is mutually exclusive. I eat at 105 Degrees all the time (I especially love their Sunday Suppers), attend most of their culinary classes, and recommend it to the unfamiliar as a "must-see" OKC destination.

You don't go to 105 Degrees for the beer selection though, and I prefer to have a little food with my hops so that I'm not face down in my booth after one drink. I'm not asking for a radically different menu - something as simple as "all of our burgers can be substituted for a black bean patty" would be great.

fair enough, good points.

Quote Originally Posted by Eep View Post
    It's not as if this stuff is mutually exclusive. I eat at 105 Degrees all the time (I especially love their Sunday Suppers), attend most of their culinary classes, and recommend it to the unfamiliar as a "must-see" OKC destination.

You don't go to 105 Degrees for the beer selection though, and I prefer to have a little food with my hops so that I'm not face down in my booth after one drink. I'm not asking for a radically different menu - something as simple as "all of our burgers can be substituted for a black bean patty" would be great.
    That might not be as simple as you think.

This is the only Good Egg restaurant in which I have not eaten and it has to do with a limited veggie selections. All of the other GEG restaurants have ample selections for us vegetarians which is somewhat surprising since one is a BBQ place and one is a steak house.

One of the best vegetarian options I have personally had is the Open-Faced BLT, minus the bacon...seriously, give it a try.

11. Default Re: Republic

Tried to eat at Republic today to Celebrate the Rowland victory over AG Edmondson, but at noon there was a 45 minute wait for an 8-top (opted for Pearl's instead). This would have been my 5th visit and I really like the place. So far I've done the Republic Burger, the Fish and Chips, pretzel, mac and cheese and donuts! All was excellent. The atmosphere is great an the prices are reasonable. As already shared by some, the Fish and Chips are some of the best in town. That said, the last time I had them with the wife they were a bit greasy. Looking forward to trying other menu items soon!

RePUBlic is my standby lunch spot now. I work in Nichols Hills, so it is just as quick to run over to RePUBlic and sit at the bar as it is to go through a Drive Thru. I try to get something different every time. I'm in there about once a week.

Faves: Belle Isle Burger, Pretzel, Mac and Cheese, Salmon Sliders, scotch egg, 3 buck salad, potato skins

Not So Much: Nachos (but I am not crazy about pulled meat) and the fish and chips. I know people have raved about the fish and chips but seemed excessively battery.

One thing I like is that the BLT comes with fried green tomatoes. I have ordered those as a side previously.

My favorite bartender is Dan Gordan (not the jeweler)

I guess I'm going to be one of the few naysayers about Republic. Hubby and I tried it on the Friday evening of memorial day weekend. We were disappointed. While we got in quickly, which was a plus, everything else was marginal at best.

Husband had the beef tenderloin cobb salad - portion was a bit small. The beef was great, but the dressing was bland.

I had a Caesar salad and a cup of cheese soup. The soup was great, and the salad was o.k. I realize is isn't a traditional Caesar, which is fine, but the dressing but there wasn't enough garlic in the dressing for my taste.

The drinks...that's where we really had the problem. The beer that hubby ordered was fine, just a bit sparse. I ordered a Sidecar at $11. Now mind you, I have no problem paying well for a good libation - for example, a Cosmo at The Boulevard is $14 but worth every penny (served in the larger glass, filled almost to the brim). But if you saw the drink I was served for $11, you would have laughed. Medium to large martini glass, filled 1/4 full - and I'm not kidding. I seldom feel ripped off, but we did that night.

On top of that, our service was horrible - which we didn't expect on what I perceived to be a slower night for them. Hubby is a great tipper, but left only what proper manners and decorum required that evening

I can't say that we WON'T go back, but there was nothing to compel us to give it another chance.

Live in N. Dallas and came back to Okc for the Memorial Day weekend. Republic was suggested by a few friends and I have to say, I am impressed. There were 10 of us (by the end of the night) and the bar tab was VERY reasonable (no food, drinks only). Service was so so, but this very well could have been a bad night. We ate @ Pearls and althogh it was OK, I still miss the old location - it's just not the same...

Salty pretzel....caramel....happy....

Teriokc, salads probably aren't the best options on the menu. And I do hate overpriced cocktails but republic is more of a beer place and probably don't offer the best deals on cocktails. The pretzel is a must everytime

Quote Originally Posted by squigglyline View Post
    We ate @ Pearls and althogh it was OK, I still miss the old location - it's just not the same...
    The new location sucks IMO. Smaller portions that are more expensive. The old location is still there BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    The new location sucks IMO. Smaller portions that are more expensive. The old location is still there BTW.
    Uh no, it's been gone for quite a long time now.

Off topic, I know, but the (I think it's called) ultimate crabcake at Pearls is fabulous. It's one of the best crabcakes I've ever had and I eat them almost anywhere I see them on the menu. I used to go to Maryland regularly, so I've had them where they're famous too.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Off topic, I know, but the (I think it's called) ultimate crabcake at Pearls is fabulous. It's one of the best crabcakes I've ever had and I eat them almost anywhere I see them on the menu. I used to go to Maryland regularly, so I've had them where they're famous too.
    Have you ever had Rococo's crab cakes? Best in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Have you ever had Rococo's crab cakes? Best in the city.
    Yes. They are very good. This was better.

Pearls Lakeside? Thats the one I was referencing. Its gone? Bizarre. I could have sworn I saw it open while at Mama Rojas.

Pearls Lakeside? Thats the one I was referencing. Its gone? Bizarre. I could have sworn I saw it open while at Mama Rojas.
    I think metro is probably referencing the 63rd & Classen location.

Pearl's Lakeside is no more. There was a change of ownership, it was just called Lakeside. I went to their website and it seems that it's now Hefner Grill.

www.lakesidefishgrill.com

Quote Originally Posted by redrunner View Post
    Pearl's Lakeside is no more. There was a change of ownership, it was just called Lakeside. I went to their website and it seems that it's now Hefner Grill.

www.lakesidefishgrill.com
    Ahh ok.. Gotcha. Sorry, this can be the Republic thread again!

Thread Information