Widgets Magazine

Thread: Time to expand Oklahoma Memorial Stadium?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Time to expand Oklahoma Memorial Stadium?

Why does it have to be either/or? A massive stadium capacity increase is not needed. There is no evidence to suggest otherwise. If the goal is to get recruits I can think of several others things that could be added.

And I like enthusiastic go-getters, but you could stand to tone it down about 5 notches.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Why does it have to be either/or? A massive stadium capacity increase is not needed. There is no evidence to suggest otherwise. If the goal is to get recruits I can think of several others things that could be added.

And I like enthusiastic go-getters, but you could stand to tone it down about 5 notches.
    ...I didn't say Either / OR. daniel, "no evidence to suggest otherwise" ? Have you been following ANY college football? ....Texas A&M / OSU / Baylor / Texas / Tech have all made MAJOR re-investments to their stadium. And aDaniel, the goal my friend is Always to get recruits. ( quote Barry S..." it's the Jimmy's & the Joe's, not the X's and O's" ). The press-box should changed out and brought into the 21st century.

Our stadium was voted 33 out of 50 for places to see in college football. The primary reason so "low", was the stadium did not match the history of OU and small in capacity. Yes, I would like to have 100K, but that may not be the most critical point.

Quote Originally Posted by OKVision4U View Post
    ...I didn't say Either / OR.
    It sure sounded like you did to me. You repeatedly beat the hammer for the arms-race-based expansion, then when folks offered suggestions that an arbitrary expansion may not be a good idea, you then replied with "We don't have to upgrade at all."

I interpreted your comments precisely the same way adaniel and dankrutka did, as either we expand and join the arms race and blindly build just to hit a number, or OU is doomed to football obscurity and irrelevance.

If you review your earlier comments honestly, I think you'll understand what we're talking about. Did you literally say "either/or"? No. But that implication was clear in the other comments.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    It sure sounded like you did to me. You repeatedly beat the hammer for the arms-race-based expansion, then when folks offered suggestions that an arbitrary expansion may not be a good idea, you then replied with "We don't have to upgrade at all."

I interpreted your comments precisely the same way adaniel and dankrutka did, as either we expand and join the arms race and blindly build just to hit a number, or OU is doomed to football obscurity and irrelevance.

If you review your earlier comments honestly, I think you'll understand what we're talking about. Did you literally say "either/or"? No. But that implication was clear in the other comments.
    Dave, some were saying "that the dollar should be spent wisely... code for le'ts not do too much right now". I'm not calling it "OU is doomed to failure" if we don't expand. But I will promise this, if we don't continue to keep our edge, then we will find ourselves in a very comfortable 8-4 / 9-3 regular season each year. This slippery slope is when we "loose out" on a few keys recruits in each class. Just a couple of difference makers. This is the (average) that happens more quickly than you think. Kids are more trendy, and they want to go to the "HOT" spot for football.

Quote Originally Posted by OKVision4U View Post
    Dave, some were saying "that the dollar should be spent wisely... code for le'ts not do too much right now". I'm not calling it "OU is doomed to failure" if we don't expand. But I will promise this, if we don't continue to keep our edge, then we will find ourselves in a very comfortable 8-4 / 9-3 regular season each year. This slippery slope is when we "loose out" on a few keys recruits in each class. Just a couple of difference makers. This is the (average) that happens more quickly than you think. Kids are more trendy, and they want to go to the "HOT" spot for football.

Each dollar should be spent wisely, but that has nothing to do with doing whats right.
    I have seen OU spend good money and in decent amounts only to tear out the work that they had done just a few years later.
    I hate that.

But this doesn’t mean that OU shouldn’t build what's right or what's needed.

Thread Information