Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Half (9000 Broadway)

Northwest OKC The Half (9000 Broadway)

Mixed-use project with brewpub movie theater set to move forward

American Fidelity has filed plans for the first phase of an 100-acre mixed use development south of its campus at Broadway Extension and Britton Road.

Dubbed 9000 Broadway, conceptual re-zoning documents show 2 hotels and several restaurants and office space, all on the opposite side of two small lakes from American Fidelity's corporate headquarters. The plans also show a large structure for a movie theater on the west side of the property.

American Fidelity bought the corporate campus and vacant land from the Oklahoma Publishing Company in 2012 and has completely remodeled the 12-story tower and added a large parking structure. Over the last several years, the company has relocated its workforce from buildings it had been leasing at 2000 Classen.

The Oklahoman had previously reported that American Fidelity was working with developer Randy Hogan for a proposed project on the undeveloped land and that talks had commenced with Flix Brewhouse, an Austin-based company which marries on-site brewed craft beers with 7-9 movie screens.

The interest by Flix was dependent on Oklahoma passing a new state law that allowed consumption of alcohol in theaters without any serving area being confined to adults-only, as is the case in Moore's Warren Theater.

Just this June, Governor Mary Fallin signed into law House Bill 2186 which specifically allows for movie theaters to sell beer and mixed drinks without segregating clientelle into an adults-only section. Flix had stated that any expansion into the Oklahoma market would be contingent on this specific piece of legislation.

Flix has publicly state a goal of 15 locations by 2020 and currently operate in Round Rock (Austin), Albuquerque, Carmel (Indianapolis), Des Moines, Madison, Little Elm (Dallas) and soon to open in Chandler (Phoenix).

The first phase of the project shows two small office buildings on the NE corner of NW 82nd and Broadway Extension. It is unclear when the theater, restaurants and hotel will start.

The property directly south of the proposed development is owned by the estate of Aubrey McClendon and was once designed to be the new campus for American Energy Partners.

Flix theater auditoriums feature retractable tables which allow food and drink to be served before and during each film.

Default Re: 9000 Broadway

Do we know who owns the land south of this development? It would be great if they could be complimentary of each other.

Wow, this is great. American Fidelity has breathed life into the old OPUBCO property. That whole stretch along Britton Road between I-35 and Broadway Ext has really developed over the past 5-10 years with small office complexes. This development will only help. Hopefully, growth will spill over to the west into the old Britton downtown. I believe that little area has a lot of potential with its proximity to The Village and Nichols Hills.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Do we know sho owns the land south of this development? It would be great if they could be complimentary of each other.
    American Fidelity

100 acre development with 99 acres of pavement!

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    100 acre development with 99 acres of pavement!
    Yes, lots of parking but pretty much the minimum required by building code for the various uses depicted.

The only way around this is by building parking structures which are crazy expensive compared to surface parking.

It's probably time OKC starts to re-think these parking minimums... They aren't even used in the urban core.

This is suburbia. More parking is good. But they are cheating out as usual here. In Dallas this would for sure have structured parking for the offices at least.

No doubt.. And I understand the need for parking in scenarios such as this. It's just mind boggling we are so conditioned to this being the norm that covering up so much open land with pavement for a few office buildings, restaurants, and a movie theater (but it sells booze!!) is automatically seen as amazing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    This is suburbia. More parking is good. But they are cheating out as usual here. In Dallas this would for sure have structured parking for the offices at least.
    Looks like offices are low rise. Most low rise in Dallas or elsewhere don’t go to the expense of structured parking unless landlocked.

I guarantee that, within the lifetime of this development, we will be in a world of driverless cars, universal ride sharing and much less private car ownership. It will be easy to rip up half of this lot for other uses in the future.

*Build parking, they will come.*

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    *Build parking, they will come.*
    People will show up and park just because there is a parking spot, even if there is nothing to go to or no one they are seeing? They just flock to parking spots? Who knew. If you are saying that free parking will fill up before paid parking, well yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Looks like offices are low rise. Most low rise in Dallas or elsewhere don’t go to the expense of structured parking unless landlocked.
    That is true but I also haven’t nocited such large parking lots either for low rise office building in Dallas. But these buildings seem to be long too, so I think structured parking would be better here. I’m sure they'd have more room to even add another office building with structured parking. Not like it can’t be done in the future anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    People will show up and park just because there is a parking spot, even if there is nothing to go to or no one they are seeing? They just flock to parking spots? Who knew. If you are saying that free parking will fill up before paid parking, well yeah.

Well of course. A good surface parking lot will always attract good development.

Although, its nothing compared to a good parking garage. A good parking garage would bring in a great world class development.

This to me is more exciting than the streetcar. Prob cause I live in The Village and it's relatively close! Ready for this to come to fruition.

Shout out to Red Dirt Report, which ran a story on Flix and this project in general and provided us with the proper credit and link-back:

http://www.reddirtreport.com/red-dir...ery-coming-okc

According to a friend who works at AF, it looks like work on the projects on the 9000 Broadway lands should begin here in the next couple or few months.

The OKC North Mesonet site is taken down due to this development starting.

Oh, I was wondering why it went away. The Mesonet page for it is something I have looked at nearly every morning for something on the order of a decade.

I hate to keep bringing up DFW, but this looks to be a similar spec to the Flix, recently, opened in Little Elm. I like that OKC is getting these developments rather quickly. Shows how the area is viewed when companies are considering expansion into this region.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    According to a friend who works at AF, it looks like work on the projects on the 9000 Broadway lands should begin here in the next couple or few months.
    https://newsok.com/article/5595155/f...n-okc-location

22. Default Re: 9000 Broadway

The project is being developed by Hogan Property Co. and American Fidelity Assurance Co.

^ raised eyebrow moment
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Any word on if the 2 hotels being mentioned will be full service like a Marriott or Hilton?

The only reason why we did parking garages for suburban office buildings in Austin or San Antonio was impervious cover restrictions over the aquifers. In far east sides of those cities it is rare to do anything other than surface parking. Structured parking is used in the Dallas area because of land costs.

We did a complex next to our building on Southwest Parkway west of Mopac, the impervious cover requirements limited us to 15% of the total site. That included the paving of Southwest Parkway to the centerline of the road in our calculations. With two 4 story office buildings and a parking garage we ended up with about 20 total surface parking places.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Oh, I was wondering why it went away. The Mesonet page for it is something I have looked at nearly every morning for something on the order of a decade.
    Yep, and I saw them say (on Twitter) that they'd be moving this equipment to Yukon, with no plans for a new N OKC site at this time.

Thread Information