Widgets Magazine

Thread: New Arena (formerly Prairie Surf)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Cox Covention Center

Ok, back to talking about the building itself... I have always had the opinion that the arena should remain, but the exibit halls can go. Tear them down, and build the new convention center hotel on that corner. I do not understand all this "RETURN THE STREET GRID, RETURN THE STREET GRID" crap... Californa Avenue will still terminate at EK Gaylord on the east and Robinson Avenue on the west, and Broadway would still terminate at Reno on the south! Unless you are proposing removal of the Chesapeake Arena, Bricktown Canal, Chickisaw Bricktown Ballpark and Myriad Gardens, the "restore the street grid" argument holds no water. We would only be restoring TWO blocks north and south and TWO blocks east and west.

Keep the arena. Yeah, it's old, but VERY useful. In 10, 15, or 20 years when we are looking for a replacement for the Chesapeake, then we can talk about demolishing the old Myriad and building a new arena on that site... and 20-30 years after that, when we are ready to replace the new arena, we can talk about demolishing the old Chesapeake and building a new new arena on that site... and 20 to 30 years after that when we are ready to replace the new new areana... well, you get the picture. We could conceivably ALWAYS have two arenas right across the street from one another, one brand new and state of the art and the other still world class and useful.

OH... (had to edit to add this)... AND those two arenas would ALWAYS be near the CBD, the MAPS3 park, Bricktown, C2S... ALWAYS in the center of activity... ALWAYS within walking distance of where people want to be.

Just my opinion... pretty sure it will be scoffed at
    Last edited by Fantastic; 08-20-2013 at 12:05 AM. Reason: details

Quote Originally Posted by Fantastic View Post
    Ok, back to talking about the building itself... I have always had the opinion that the arena should remain, but the exibit halls can go. Tear them down, and build the new convention center hotel on that corner. I do not understand all this "RETURN THE STREET GRID, RETURN THE STREET GRID" crap... Californa Avenue will still terminate at EK Gaylord on the east and Robinson Avenue on the west, and Broadway would still terminate at Reno on the south! Unless you are proposing removal of the Chesapeake Arena, Bricktown Canal, Chickisaw Bricktown Ballpark and Myriad Gardens, the "restore the street grid" argument holds no water. We would only be restoring TWO blocks north and south and TWO blocks east and west.
    Those two blocks will open up 6,000 feet of street frontage for retail and other uses. That is more retail frontage than Penn Sq. Mall. Plus it will make a pedestrian connection between the transit hub and MBG.

For driving/traffic purposes, you're right: restoring the grid wouldn't make a bit of difference. For development/street-frontage, however, it opens up a ton more space. Rather than have one mega-development that only fronts the street on four sides, most likely isn't the most walkable area either, you would get a plot of land that faces the street on 16 sides and is naturally walkable because it is broken into four pieces rather than one.

I can't count the number of times I've been in the Myriad arena. While I have many fond memories, I wouldn't be the least bit sad to see it go. The prospect for mixed-use/residential/more businesses on that area of land would be much more valuable than keeping a 40 year old (now) arena that could easily be replaced on the fair grounds (or not at all). Also my opinion, no scoffing involved.

Keep the arena. Yeah, it's old, but VERY useful. In 10, 15, or 20 years when we are looking for a replacement for the Chesapeake, then we can talk about demolishing the old Myriad and building a new arena on that site... and 20-30 years after that, when we are ready to replace the new arena, we can talk about demolishing the old Chesapeake and building a new new arena on that site... and 20 to 30 years after that when we are ready to replace the new new areana... well, you get the picture. We could conceivably ALWAYS have two arenas right across the street from one another, one brand new and state of the art and the other still world class and useful.

OH... (had to edit to add this)... AND those two arenas would ALWAYS be near the CBD, the MAPS3 park, Bricktown, C2S... ALWAYS in the center of activity... ALWAYS within walking distance of where people want to be.

Just my opinion... pretty sure it will be scoffed at

I think you overestimate how often we will need a "new arena".

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I think you overestimate how often we will need a "new arena".
    I think you underestimate how often a new arena will be needed.

Thread Information