Widgets Magazine

Thread: Chesapeake empire marches on

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Chesapeake empire marches on

bombermwc, what are the businesses that are gone now, but should have remained??

Other than Pearls I can't think of any.

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    bombermwc, what are the businesses that are gone now, but should have remained??

Other than Pearls I can't think of any.
    Laredo's was a lunch staple for us. The owners started building on NW Expressway, but apparently ran into problems with their contractors/subcontractors. As far as I can tell, they've lost their asses on this project.

(RE: Businesses - public access to private.) Very true. In the case of Pearl's, I think the new restaurant is far superior to the old one - a very modern and comfortable facility. It has great atmosphere and good traffic/turnover when I visited recently. I hope the new location works - it is a bit off the beaten track and their neighbors to the north are not likely to recommend it. I also wish it were far closer to the original site.

Irma's has quickly become a landmark - it is hard to duplicate the cramped ambience that seems essential to their brand - although midtowner's should weigh in. Chesapeake needs Western to continue to thrive as a restaurant/retail row north of 63rd and for original concepts in that area, i.e., Flip's, to continue to prosper. If not, much of the value of the area for their employees is lost because the majority will not be indulging in daily lunches at more upscale fare that will likely come to NHP, ala The Coach House.

Regarding the new Laredo's location - is that the domed project at the old Classen circle and NW Expressway? I thought that might be another Casablanca. I never saw the sign but don't frequent that intersection too much.

Quote Originally Posted by bwana_bob View Post
    Irma's has quickly become a landmark - it is hard to duplicate the cramped ambience that seems essential to their brand - although midtowner's should weigh in....

Regarding the new Laredo's location - is that the domed project at the old Classen circle and NW Expressway? I thought that might be another Casablanca. I never saw the sign but don't frequent that intersection too much.

You are right about the new Laredo's location, just next to the Chili's and IHop on the West End of the Belle Isle Plaza off of Classen. It's been in its current state for about a year now. I believe someone else in this thread noted they were having serious contractor/construction issues. I heard they'd lost their shirts more or less and that the whole thing is wrapped up in court. I don't have a source to back that up, so it may be just rumor.

As for Irma's, I tried the new Midtown restaurant for lunch last week. Staff friendly, food as good as the original, but it lacks the homey kitchen ambiance the original has, and of course, there's no patio. I wouldn't mind a repeat lunch trip to this Irma's once in a while, but it's no replacement for the real thing, that's for certain! I'd hate to see the one on 63rd go anytime soon. I actually saw Aubrey in there not too long ago eating with his wife and oldest daughter. They were on the patio next to us. Ironically, he was seated looking to the north, away from his empire, which gave me a chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by ParksGal View Post
    You are right about the new Laredo's location, just next to the Chili's and IHop on the West End of the Belle Isle Plaza off of Classen. It's been in its current state for about a year now. I believe someone else in this thread noted they were having serious contractor/construction issues. I heard they'd lost their shirts more or less and that the whole thing is wrapped up in court. I don't have a source to back that up, so it may be just rumor.
    I'm not sure about the contractor issue but what I do know is this. When designing the new restaurant, they decided to go bigger but did not properly anticipate the extra construction costs. They also do not believe in getting credit to build a restaurant. If you notice, they now have windows when this time last year they didn't. I have reliable sources.

Thread Information