Widgets Magazine
Page 104 of 154 FirstFirst ... 45499100101102103104105106107108109 ... LastLast
Results 2,576 to 2,600 of 3849

Thread: OKC Mayor Race 2014

Default Re: OKC Mayor Race 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    His message seemed to go over pretty well at the OCPAC meeting.

Based on what?

As somebody who was looking hard at other cities and now has a very vested interest with a contract on the Lisbon Lofts, I can only hope that the majority of voters who received the postcard (as my wife and I did in Lincoln Terrace) realize the true agenda of ED.

ED's spin on the CC is a masterful job of averting his personal issues to a debatable issue in the race for Mayor. The big hitters in this forum get it, but do the public? I'm betting against him, but if I were the powers that be, I would have waited longer to release his personal saga. We all see what we want to see, but the focus is squarely where ED wants it with a ton of time until the vote.

Either way... the talk is about the cc. Remove that portion from the post for those too sensitive to my insinuation and it sure has heck had nothing to do with 'Ed's belief'.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Burgess View Post
    He was so uncomfortable when the questions came up about "the guberment running a convention center". Of course he doesn't have a problem with the government competing with the private sector. A good deal of his policy positions require that. But he stuttered his way through an answer about the government competing with the private sector on a hotel. It was an incredibly telling moment. He dodged the question, then answered a question no on is asking (should OKC own the CC hotel?). No one is advocating for that. It showed he is willing to tell lies to whoever is in the room to make them like him more, instead of setting the record straight and standing up for what you believe. Meadows is no idiot. in fact, out of everyone in that room, I've got the most respect for him. He's much more pragmatic about these positions. Lots of good chats with him and I never walked away thinking he was completely unreasonable. My suspicion is that OCPAC won't be a noticeable voice behind Ed at all. Too many inconsistencies.
    Shadid said OKC owning the hotel is the only way to get it built. Private equity isn't going to touch it because everyone knows it's going to be a $pit, and due to the poor performance of cc hotels in a variety of other cities, take your pick there are plenty of examples wal st requires the city to have skin in the game and be on the hook. So OKC would indeed be in competition with private hotels which as you can imagine didn't seem a core government function to the OCPAC folks. I must have watched a different video. As always Shadid the adult in the room asking the obvious questions- how do you plan on paying for all those toys in the cart?

First of all, Shadid may well be wrong that no hotels will want to build a convention center hotel. Our CC is very well sited for a successful hotel, relative to some other cities. I don't like the site for a CC, but were I a hotelier I would love it. It's right next to the arena, in the CBD, near Bricktown. OKC is short hotel rooms, unlike some cities. So, lets say we don't know if any hotel chains are interested. Might they require a subsidy? Perhaps. How much would that be? Depends on the market. I don't think we have enough data to say what the city would pay if they have to pay. Council meetings are open and all we've heard is a consultant talk about a hotel. It's rather alarmist and quite possibly inaccurate to say what Ed is saying. Prove to us that its going to be a money pit. If a hotel asks the city to take some of the risk, the city can always say no. Again, where's the data that says we would enter a partnership rather than just giving a one-time subsidy? Where's the proof it would lose money? So by blowing this way out of proportion, exaggerating (or lying), Ed is trying to make political capital out of something that is simply under discussion, not a done deal.

'The Doctor', 'El Shadid', 'Shadid the Adult'................. Just loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    First of all, Shadid may well be wrong that no hotels will want to build a convention center hotel. Our CC is very well sited for a successful hotel, relative to some other cities. I don't like the site for a CC, but were I a hotelier I would love it. It's right next to the arena, in the CBD, near Bricktown. OKC is short hotel rooms, unlike some cities. So, lets say we don't know if any hotel chains are interested. Might they require a subsidy? Perhaps. How much would that be? Depends on the market. I don't think we have enough data to say what the city would pay if they have to pay. Council meetings are open and all we've heard is a consultant talk about a hotel. It's rather alarmist and quite possibly inaccurate to say what Ed is saying. Prove to us that its going to be a money pit. If a hotel asks the city to take some of the risk, the city can always say no. Again, where's the data that says we would enter a partnership rather than just giving a one-time subsidy? Where's the proof it would lose money? So by blowing this way out of proportion, exaggerating (or lying), Ed is trying to make political capital out of something that is simply under discussion, not a done deal.
    Appreciate the civic enthusiasm but it'd take a severe case of magical thinking to believe OKC's experience will differ from Austin, or Boston or....

Regardless, there is currently no proposal to build a hotel, subsidize a hotel, create a public/private partnership with a hotel. While money is tighter than it was pre -2008, its not as difficult to obtain as it was during the recession. So, you and Ed are just fear mongering, presumably to deflect attention from his short-comings.

Today at the Dr. King parade there were a couple people asking for signatures for the convention center hotel referenda. It appeared the young guy I talked to was hired, or at least put up to it by his parents.

If this comes to a vote, I wonder how much money Ed will spend to campaign against the convention center. I believe to revote costs about $150,000.00. Money will be spent to promote the convention center in the vote. What a waste. Ed's not even a sore loser because he didn't vote, but he doesn't mind spending taxpayer money to reverse a vote of his constituents. And what kind of precedent does this set? Anytime someone doesn't like the outcome of an election, they can force a revote.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    'The Doctor', 'El Shadid', 'Shadid the Adult'................. Just loving it.
    Ditto!

If Ed is the adult in the room; Lord help us all...

If this comes to a vote, I wonder how much money Ed will spend to campaign against the convention center. I believe to revote costs about $150,000.00. Money will be spent to promote the convention center in the vote. What a waste. Ed's not even a sore loser because he didn't vote, but he doesn't mind spending taxpayer money to reverse a vote of his constituents. And what kind of precedent does this set? Anytime someone doesn't like the outcome of an election, they can force a revote.
    $150k peanuts compared with what a shiny new cc would annually cost OKC taxpayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    $150k peanuts compared with what a shiny new cc would annually cost OKC taxpayers.
    You mean the shiny new CC that will be paid for as we build it? Funny thing about debt is that you have to BORROW the money to be in debt.

Edgar, here's the thing: Just because Ed is saying all this doesn't make it true. The fact that you have ZERO nuance in your delivery only shows your a) immaturity b) robotic acceptance of whatever conspiracy is fashionable now or c) you just aren't very bright.

The fact is this: with MAPS, the CC will be paid for as it is built (if not prior). Should it cost more, the city would have to ask for an extension (see Finish MAPS right after MAPS I). The hotel is NOT required. It may be necessary, but that hasn't been decided (regardless of what Ed says). If it is required, OKC has had such a shortage of hotel rooms in the CBD that this hotel (which should be either full service or on the very high end of not) will have no problem pulling in business. With future convention business, Thunder games (especially playoff games), tourism, or business with the new GE complex there will be plenty of people wanting to use a very nice hotel in a central location.

Ed doesn't have to like the CC; plenty of people certainly did not. Whether he likes it or not, it passed a vote of the people. The possibility of a hotel was not hidden (as has been consistently proven by Steve and others) prior to the vote. No one has been deceived; there are only those who are uninformed. Ed is certainly uninformED. End of story.

15. Default Re: OKC Mayor Race 2014

Question: If Shadid gets his signatures and a revote is held, when will it be held? Will it correspond to the Mayoral election? If so then this all becomes quite clear. He is hoping to drive up turnout with the CC stuff.

http://centralokgo.org/

There was an excellent webinar today featuring a presentation by URS on current planning for mass transit in the OKC metro area. A podcast of the presentation will be available for viewing within the next few days. I was impressed with the level of planning already underway. This would not happen without the willing participation and encouragement of our sitting mayor and those of surrounding cities. Ed knows about this so his statements implying this is something that will happen only if he takes office are again untruths.

Blog Entries

Mr. Ed

Dr. Ed Shadid is impressive on the surface; however, is it like talking to a horse?

[QUOTE=BrettM2;735712]Edgar, here's the thing: Just because Ed is saying all this doesn't make it true. The fact that you have ZERO nuance in your delivery only shows your a) immaturity b) robotic acceptance of whatever conspiracy is fashionable now or c) you just aren't very bright.

The fact is this: with MAPS, the CC will be paid for as it is built (if not prior). Should it cost more, the city would have to ask for an extension (see Finish MAPS right after MAPS I). The hotel is NOT required. It may be necessary, but that hasn't been decided (regardless of what Ed says). If it is required, OKC has had such a shortage of hotel rooms in the CBD that this hotel (which should be either full service or on the very high end of not) will have no problem pulling in business. With future convention business, Thunder games (especially playoff games), tourism, or business with the new GE complex there will be plenty of people wanting to use a very nice hotel in a central location.

Ed doesn't have to like the CC; plenty of people certainly did not. Whether he likes it or not, it passed a vote of the people. The possibility of a hotel was not hidden (as has been consistently proven by Steve and others) prior to the vote. No one has been deceived; there are only those who are uninformed. Ed is certainly uninformED. End of story.[/QUOT
    I was referring to operating deficits. $150k, that'd cover about a weeks' worth based on the experience of other towns, take your pick.
    Have you read Doug's history on the promotion of MAPSIII? dok made sure most everyone who voted on the logroll was an uniformed voter, so I'd be skeptical of any report from them.

Crap, I'm skeptical of anything from Ed, he has no credibility.

Operating deficits are generated by debt service in many of these cities. Operating deficits are highly unlikely in a fully paid-for building that will generate income. It will also generate hotel, restaurant, car rental, taxi, shopping expenditures income for residents of OKC and sales and hotel tax income for the city.

Not everyone gets their information from the DOK Edgar. And not everyone who reads the DOK reads it alone. You're making statements without any factual data to back them up. You're a regular chip off the old block.

Operating deficits are generated by debt service in many of these cities. Operating deficits are highly unlikely in a fully paid-for building that will generate income. It will also generate hotel, restaurant, car rental, taxi, shopping expenditures income for residents of OKC and sales and hotel tax income for the city.

Not everyone gets their information from the DOK Edgar. And not everyone who reads the DOK reads it alone. You're making statements without any factual data to back them up. You're a regular chip off the old block.
    I believe betts just dropped the mic.

I thought I would drop a line or two about the convention center... My research on urban revitalization has led me to study convention centers. I have jotted some quick research notes at the following link. This is a first-cut/rough draft response to a buddy's email. Enjoy, and flame away.

For those too lazy to click, both sides have some valid points. The Myriad is relatively small, but OKC would need a (cost-prohibitively) expensive investment to make a dent in the hyper-competitive conventions marketplace. How the city should proceed with the center is a tough judgement call, especially in light of Core to Shore (a good strategy with improvable tactics). Expanding the downtown footprint: good idea. Current Convention Center Plan: perhaps not the most efficient way to do accomplish this task.

Oklahoma City?s Controversial Convention Center | Samuel Bassett

Can we all just assume that Edgar and MKJeeves are the only people who contribute to this message board who support this charlatan, Shadid? I'm beyond sick of their trolling garbage.

I also think of Doug Loudenbach. He's a potential supporter of Ed, although he hasn't said so (but he doesn't seem to care for Cornett). Anyone else?

Aw, it sucks to be you. I'm sure after you make a few more of your bombastic posts it will be all better!

Blog Entries

The Economic Impact of the Proposed
    Oklahoma City Convention Center Hotel
    Prepared

http://www.theallianceokc.org/sites/...0CC_121313.pdf

Thread Information