Widgets Magazine

Thread: Future of Retail on the NW side

Default Future of Retail on the NW side

So there's construction going on at Penn again probably just parking lot repairs. It did remind me about the rumored expansion of the mall. Its always full, stores that want to remodel have year long waits. But Chesapeake just bought Nichols Hills Plaza and open air shopping centers are the wave of the future . Could they invest in the plaza and make it a competitor to Penn?

Default Re: Future of Retail on the NW side

Whose brilliant idea was it to erect a rug next to Cheesecake Factory at Penn Square? What's all that about?

not quite sure I know what you're talking about

They are planning to make Nichols Hills Plaza so amazing it makes Utica Square look like a 7-11 corner store.

5. Default Re: Future of Retail on the NW side

Quote Originally Posted by JWil View Post
    They are planning to make Nichols Hills Plaza so amazing it makes Utica Square look like a 7-11 corner store.
    That would be teriffic! Hope that you are right, JWil!

I just hope they realize the way to do that is by adding upscale tenants that aren't in Penn

What they're planning has nothing to do with Penn. You'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    Whose brilliant idea was it to erect a rug next to Cheesecake Factory at Penn Square? What's all that about?
    Oops - Rug TENT next to Cheesecake Factory. They're selling rugs out of this big, white tent right next to Pennsylvania.

What they're planning has nothing to do with Penn. You'll see.
    Do you know? I so, please share. Nobody else seems to know anything what the billionaires have planned for us mere citizens after clearing out an entire neighborhood. All we here is "Don't worry - they're BIG plans." Share!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    Oops - Rug TENT next to Cheesecake Factory. They're selling rugs out of this big, white tent right next to Pennsylvania.
    what are u talking that's the okie way. Nothing says classy like a huge white tent. I'm sure Nichols Hills residents enjoy it on their drive home

I meant "hear" not "here".

What happened to the edit function?

NHills Plaza is already superior to Utica Square in the fact that it's all local boutiques as opposed to national stores, except for Starbucks. The buildings just need a little updating. And they should really make more use of the ampitheatre, like the summer Plaza concerts a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by thanksarthur View Post
    NHills Plaza is already superior to Utica Square in the fact that it's all local boutiques as opposed to national stores, except for Starbucks. The buildings just need a little updating. And they should really make more use of the ampitheatre, like the summer Plaza concerts a couple of years ago.
    I see your point but that's debatable Nichols Hills Plaza isn't known anywhere outside the city and really only by serious shoppers and residents. Utica Square is known around that region as the top upscale retail center and is able to give Woodland Hills a run for its money(so to speak)

14. Default Re: Future of Retail on the NW side

okcustu, I do hope that NHP does become one of the top upscale shopping destinations but I don't want it to compete with Penn.

We need NHP to have things that OKC doesn't already have, boutiques, restaurants, and nightlife - all upscale and ultra upscale. In fact, I've always wondered why it wasn't already this way considering where it is located. I've also wondered why 50 Penn didn't evolve into the top galleria style upscale mall it once was.

I think it is possible, Penn Square isn't that upscale - in fact, it is mainstream with a few upscale stores. Well, NHP should be all upscale since it is in OKC's version of Beverly Hills. And with the NBA in town (and the promise of more high roller spenders), we need to use this to capitalize on attracting top name boutiques and restaurants.

I agree that I like the local fare but we can move that to Western (which would be MUCH MORE BENEFIT from it) and have NHP become ultra upscale. Hopefully, then, that would spur some action activity at 50Penn - and the Northside retail area would be more or less 'complete.'
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

in the inevitable Dallas comparison Penn could be Northpark, a nice mixture of upscale and mainstream retailers and NHP could be comparable to Highland Park Village, a mixture of very upscale local and national retailers. As for Penn Place????

Thread Information