Widgets Magazine

Thread: Carey Place

Default Carey Place

Anyone know the story behind this street? I was helping a friend move over the weekend and turned down this road before realizing this was the street me and my old high school buddies used to drive down looking for ghosts. If I remember correctly, the story was a little girl was murdered at a house here and her ghost still haunts the neighborhood. I never found out if this was an actual incident that happened or not.

Default Re: Carey Place

lol. Thanks for dredging THIS up! geez. I had nightmares for weeks. You guys were mean.

I never heard that story.

My memory is that Carey Place was developed by the family that owned the Carey Lumber Company in Norman and OKC. It's on the National Register of Historic Places, and that's as much as I recall.

My grandmother lived in Gatewood and mentioned the Carey family in a few stories on occasion. From what I remember, they were a prodigious catholic family and many of their members lived on that street, and were the initial developers and builders.

Sorry this has nothing to do with basketball.

Carey Place

A strip of land 160 feet in width had been dedicated to the Oklahoma Railway company for development of a streetcar line between NW 16 and NW 23. However, the availability of less expensive cars during the "boom" period of the 1920's made streetcars less popular. Most of this property was sold to the Carey, Calloway and Foster Company, and was developed primarily by Jess A. Woolf in the 1930's. The Mediterranean and Spanish influence in the construction of Carey Place make it a unique area within the Gatewood Neighborhood.

Carey Place

In an area slightly larger than a football field sits the 36 most unique historic homes in Oklahoma City. Carey Place evolved as urban infill for a 160 ft strip of land originally designated for a high-speed electric interurban railway line.

Between 1931 and 1938, Callaway, Carey, Foster and Woolf used their creative genius building California style Mission/Spanish Colonial Revival homes tightly bunched on a narrow street with small yards.

The myths, mystery and legends of Carey Place, which include creaking swing chains on quiet moonlit nights and axes on shutters, brings goblins in droves on Halloween.

The reality of Carey Place is single family and duplex homes, which because of their historic significance are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Quote Originally Posted by kmf563 View Post
    lol. Thanks for dredging THIS up! geez. I had nightmares for weeks. You guys were mean.
    Heh. I thought you were one of our victims, but I couldn't remember for sure.

Remember the red porches?

Carey Place is a neat little area. We looked at a home for sale their last year (rare to find on market), but it was a little out of our league. Definitely a hidden jewel of OKC!

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBorn1973 View Post
    Heh. I thought you were one of our victims, but I couldn't remember for sure.

Remember the red porches?
    I don't remember much at all. I blocked it all out I think. I just remember a creepy middle of the night neighborhood tour with stories and you guys threatening to leave me there and acting like the car wouldn't start and stuff. Terrible boys. Now, I'd be happy to go investigate!

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBorn1973 View Post
    Anyone know the story behind this street? I was helping a friend move over the weekend and turned down this road before realizing this was the street me and my old high school buddies used to drive down looking for ghosts. If I remember correctly, the story was a little girl was murdered at a house here and her ghost still haunts the neighborhood. I never found out if this was an actual incident that happened or not.
    I used to live in Gatewood. Carey Place is a great street. They do a fantastic Halloween bash every year. It's great. "Olde Scary Carey."

10. Default Re: Carey Place

This got me curious so I drove through there last night. Very unique for historic OKC. A lot of the homes looked to be in bad shape, though.

I thought it was from a twilight zone episode about the little girl who was murdered by the janitor from the school down the way...and the hatchett shapes on the shutters of one house didn't help ease the legend.

I found this: NONzine Articles

May have to cut and paste...
    Last edited by NikonNurse; 03-04-2008 at 09:37 AM. Reason: wrong link

Thread Information