Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 1234567853 ... LastLast

Thread: Uptown / 23rd District

Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Too bad that 1924 Bar isn't in the Tower. I really wish something cool would move into the Tower like a club or dance company. It could be such an amazing space.

Are you familiar with the Tower redevelopment plans or are you expressing doubt about them?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    The housing is pretty much nice anymore. It's J-Park, a highly desired area. Byrons is a big draw, as it it is a huge corridor for traffic, thus begging... Ironically, I was at this intersection yesterday afternoon and their was a teenager hawking self drawn portraits of Justin Beiber on the corner. Now we are big league city, we just need window washers in the streets and people selling roses individually on street corners and we've arrived in the big leagues.
    Haha. When I "go home" to Houston it's so funny how they will wash your windshield anyway even if you tell them no or even honk..or if the light turns green! It would be hilarious if it weren't so sad. I wish they'd just sell individual roses..

I've always wondered why they all cluster around Byron's. Does the ownership there not do anything about it? Who in their right mind is going to give a beggar some "spare change" right outside a liquor store? Or is it that it's so funny/sad that it's like, "Hell, why not, here's a few quarters for making me laugh" ?

As for toilets, it's pretty rare to find free ones in Northern Europe (ie Sweden/Denmark), for what it's worth. Maybe it's what the civilized world is shifting to these days.

BTW, I didn't mean I thought the area around 23rd & Broadway was bad. I almost bought a house there as an investment property!

Just meant that for a pretty good and rapidly improving area there were an inordinate number of homeless. I'm sure that Micky D's is doing what they can to try and stop them from hanging around their newly re-built business.

I have seen the kid with the portraits for the last couple of months, he has other drawings too, seems to be a decent artist. Also there are two older looking guys that play the guitar on one of the corners there too. They have a sign for donations, I give them some change every now and then. Your right need someone selling flowers, fruit, and washing car windows.

I love this area, frequent Byron's regularly and usually buy my fuel at the On-cue too. I just wish more people could get it up to par, there is no reason that the old retail buildings are vacant between Broadway and Western. Such a high traffic area and good neighborhoods to both the north and south.

What is the problem here?

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    Airport BBQ is The Salt Lick BBQ, not Oklahoma Station.
    The original one in Driftwood is about 10 miles from me.

Oklahoma Station is at NW 50th & Meridian, I used to eat there quite a bit when I lived in the Mayfair West neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    I have seen the kid with the portraits for the last couple of months, he has other drawings too, seems to be a decent artist. Also there are two older looking guys that play the guitar on one of the corners there too. They have a sign for donations, I give them some change every now and then. Your right need someone selling flowers, fruit, and washing car windows.

I love this area, frequent Byron's regularly and usually buy my fuel at the On-cue too. I just wish more people could get it up to par, there is no reason that the old retail buildings are vacant between Broadway and Western. Such a high traffic area and good neighborhoods to both the north and south.

What is the problem here?
    I imagine if the downtown architects and newspaper writers caught wind of the artist guy on the corner by byrons they would charter a helicopter tour for him if he would draw pictures of downtown buildings for them. that would be rad.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    Airport BBQ is The Salt Lick BBQ, not Oklahoma Station.
    Not talking about that one, further down the concourse. Sort of in a stand alone setup (rather than the fodd court type where Sonic/Salt Lick etc are located). At least it was there, maybe it is gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Not talking about that one, further down the concourse. Sort of in a stand alone setup (rather than the fodd court type where Sonic/Salt Lick etc are located). At least it was there, maybe it is gone now.
    I don't remember ever having another food place like that. There has been a retail outlet on the concourse with an Oklahoma theme, however.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    The original one in Driftwood is about 10 miles from me.

Oklahoma Station is at NW 50th & Meridian, I used to eat there quite a bit when I lived in the Mayfair West neighborhood.
    Yes, their original location. Think they opened up a couple more, know they had opened one out near Sams/Wal-mart on NW Expressway & Council (think it is in a strip mall directly across from the Home Depot). Can't recall where the other one is (if there is one)?

Yes, their original location. Think they opened up a couple more, know they had opened one out near Sams/Wal-mart on NW Expressway & Council (think it is in a strip mall directly across from the Home Depot). Can't recall where the other one is (if there is one)?
    According to their website, the location on NW 50th is the only one currently.

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    I imagine if the downtown architects and newspaper writers caught wind of the artist guy on the corner by byrons they would charter a helicopter tour for him if he would draw pictures of downtown buildings for them. that would be rad.
    Depends. Is he Russian?

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    Now that is funny. I'm thinking about building a lego empire state building to see if I can get a free trip to NYC

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I don't remember ever having another food place like that. There has been a retail outlet on the concourse with an Oklahoma theme, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    According to their website, the location on NW 50th is the only one currently.
    LOL Depends on where you look. You are correct if you look under Locations, but think it was on the main page, it mentions the one out on Council. Presume it is still there but I don't get out that way very often. Just checked the printed Gazette and their coupon only mentions the 50th location so maybe the other one didn't make it.

Seems like the one in the airport was shortly after they opened the new concourse (at least a couple of years ago now). Was somewhere past the food court area along one side of the wall (think they were connected to a lounge/bar area). Stand alone wasn't the right word (which to me is more like a kiosk type). But definitely not in a food court type setup like where Saltlick/Sonic etc are located. It may be long gone as we rarely go that far down the concourse. Usually take Southwest but that trip we took the line that was here for a short time (Alligient Air?) and their gate was almost all the way at the end IIRC. I mentioned to the people behind the counter that an Oklahoma Station was already in existence but they didn't care. Mentioned it to the owner on 50th shortly there after and he said he would have to check it out.

The NW Expwy/Council location closed. . .it's a Chicken place now.

LOL Depends on where you look. You are correct if you look under Locations, but think it was on the main page, it mentions the one out on Council. Presume it is still there but I don't get out that way very often. Just checked the printed Gazette and their coupon only mentions the 50th location so maybe the other one didn't make it.

Seems like the one in the airport was shortly after they opened the new concourse (at least a couple of years ago now). Was somewhere past the food court area along one side of the wall (think they were connected to a lounge/bar area). Stand alone wasn't the right word (which to me is more like a kiosk type). But definitely not in a food court type setup like where Saltlick/Sonic etc are located. It may be long gone as we rarely go that far down the concourse. Usually take Southwest but that trip we took the line that was here for a short time (Alligient Air?) and their gate was almost all the way at the end IIRC. I mentioned to the people behind the counter that an Oklahoma Station was already in existence but they didn't care. Mentioned it to the owner on 50th shortly there after and he said he would have to check it out.
    Larry, I won't say you're absolutely wrong but I've been all over that concourse many times since it was opened and never remember any food location past the food court area going west other than what's open now.

There's Route 66 Grill by Gate 8.....sharing a space with a bar.

Thanks Skywest. That must be the location and apparently a name change as I definitely remember it being called "Oklahoma Station" at one time.

Bubba's BBQ is going in the last house on the east of Uptown Courts (just 3 houses down from Cuppies & Joe).

^^ Excellent!

More great news for Uptown 23rd!

Another Uptown23 Update.

The Tharesena property west of cups and joes (formerly Wild Flower's), has a sign out front. It will be "Beauty from Pain", tatoo and art studio.

Also the Bubbas Bub-Ba-Q is the same as another location in nw Okc. Saw the company truck out back today, and it is the yellow, red, black, with the porky pig character for the signage.

I am very surprised Banta hasn't been more successful in leasing space along the Tower theater building. His signage is all around those empty storefronts along 23rd, and no new tenants.

I walked by the 1907 Bar today, in between the Tower Theater and that green & yellow abomination of a building. It had a notice to stop construction stuck on the front door, for not having a construction permit.

Ha that's great, this thread saw that one coming. +1 for Pete

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    Another Uptown23 Update.

The Tharesena property west of cups and joes (formerly Wild Flower's), has a sign out front. It will be "Beauty from Pain", tatoo and art studio.

Also the Bubbas Bub-Ba-Q is the same as another location in nw Okc. Saw the company truck out back today, and it is the yellow, red, black, with the porky pig character for the signage.

I am very surprised Banta hasn't been more successful in leasing space along the Tower theater building. His signage is all around those empty storefronts along 23rd, and no new tenants.
    Well, Banta was very successful at luring Subway to Plaza Court, so he must be the pimp of all local real estate. LOL

24. Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Well, Banta was very successful at luring Subway to Plaza Court, so he must be the pimp of all local real estate. LOL
    I don't get the joke, soonerguru. Please help an old geezer out.

25. Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Greg Banta DID NOT sign the lease with Subway for the Plaza Court; it was signed by the prior owners, R.D. and Scott Smith, prior to the sale of the property to Banta (and partners Bob Howard and Mickey Clagg).
    Greg Banta wasn't perfect, but it is a terrible lie to rob him of the credit he deserves for creating the local mix we see today (McNellie's, Irma's, Prairie Thunder, bridal shop, YMCA).

Thread Information