Widgets Magazine

Thread: Moore growing, prosperous, city leaders say

Default Moore growing, prosperous, city leaders say

The Norman Transcript - Moore growing, prosperous, city leaders say

The Norman Transcript

Transcript Staff Writer

MOORE -- The city of Moore is growing, successful and thriving, two of its leaders said Tuesday.

Speaking at a membership meeting of the Moore Chamber of Commerce, City Manager Steve Eddy and Vice Mayor Kathy McMillan both praised the community, its government and its leaders.

The event -- the city's annual State of the City address -- was held at the First Baptist Church of Moore; Eddy and McMillan filled in for Moore Mayor Glenn Lewis who was out of town.

"Without their (the council's) leadership and guidance, this city really wouldn't be where it is today," Eddy said.

In a 20-minute speech, Eddy outlined Moore's economic health, the growth of its business community and the strength of its tax base.

"A lot of us have been around for a long time, and for those of you who have, you know that Moore is not the same Moore that it was," he said. "It's not the same Moore in any shape or form that it was, I would say, 10, 15 or certainly, 20 years ago."

Eddy said growth has changed the city's population and financial systems.

"Many people don't realize that Moore's population has grown to over 50,000," he said. "We've had about 9,000 people move here in about six or seven years."

He said the 1999 population was 41,138 and has jumped to 50,177 today. "Those people are expecting and demanding services of their city. And I think we're doing a pretty darn good job of providing them."

Along with its residential growth, Eddy said Moore also is expanding its tax base.

"Obviously, the commercial growth of our community is what people are seeing," he said.

As an illustration, Eddy said the city's sales tax revenue had jumped from "a little under" $10 million for fiscal year 2000, to $15.5 million in 2006.

"That's pretty good growth in five or six years."

In addition, he said retail sales have increased from $314 million to $519 million. "The numbers are pretty awesome. As you know, cities live and die on sales tax and we're pretty lucky and pretty fortunate here in Moore."

That good fortune also has contributed to the city's bottom line.

"The city's financial condition is very good," he said. "Last year our budget was $42 million, next year's budget is $55 million. It's a good indicator of the city's financial condition."

And though Eddy said part of the city's budget increase is due to last year's public safety sales tax increase, the city, Eddy said, also will have a carryover of about $5 million.

Speaking after Eddy, Moore Vice Mayor Kathy McMillan attributed Moore's growth and change to its citizens.

"When businesses are looking for a strong and talented work force, we have it here," she said. "That's why they come."

The city, she said, has become strong and progressive because of its investment in money and energy.

"It takes a lot of money and energy to make things happen," she said.

McMillan, who also serves as a Ward 2 councilmember, praised each quadrant of the city, describing its cultural, educational and community resources.

"We've got a beautiful new high school under construction and we've got the Riverwalk," she said. "And smack in the middle of Moore is Old Town."

Yet even with all the changes, she said, Moore also has stayed true to its roots.

"We're always going to be the town and the people we've always been," she said. "We're Moore residents."

M. Scott Carter 366-3545 scarter@normantranscript.com

Default Re: Moore growing, prosperous, city leaders say

It definitely is, especially with the multiplex coming up and that new standalone JcPennys.

I think it's a very friendly city and it's easy to navigate. Hopefully I'll be moving there after I graduate.

Moore is a very suburban middle class 'burb. I'm not really a fan of the place to tell you the truth. The new theater is going to be the first "nice" thing they have. I think Moore was chosen for that theater because of its proximity to OKC and Norman, not because Moore is an awesome place to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Moore is a very suburban middle class 'burb. I'm not really a fan of the place to tell you the truth. The new theater is going to be the first "nice" thing they have. I think Moore was chosen for that theater because of its proximity to OKC and Norman, not because Moore is an awesome place to live.
    Puhhlleaze Mid...There are all kinds of other nice things in Moore

Not enough room on this post for them all

Let's see

1-

Well crap...We just talking things unique to Moore?

If not then I will put up our Buffalo Wild Wings and Alfredo's up against any other city's

Yeah, Mid, somehow you don't really seem like a Moore person.

Moore is just a town that excels at being average. If that's what you want to be known for, fine. Personally, I'm not a fan. I've been to the Moore Buffalo Wild Wings a few times... nice place.. about the same as every other BWW out there. Are there any restaurants or businesses in Moore which aren't franchises or are at least somewhat unique? Pickle's doesn't count -- it's terrible.

I have some cousins who live up there. They seem to enjoy it.

7. Default Re: Moore growing, prosperous, city leaders say

Are there any restaurants or businesses in Moore which aren't franchises or are at least somewhat unique? Pickle's doesn't count -- it's terrible.
    Berkeley's, Paca B's, Dan McGuiness (none around OK) off the top of my head.

Alright, Dan McGuinness is a place I want to visit.

-- even though it just sounds like McNellie's Lite.

Alright, Dan McGuinness is a place I want to visit.

-- even though it just sounds like McNellie's Lite.
    Looking forward to trying out McNellie's, but they better have some pretty dam* good food to compete

Even though I don't know if I want to bring my super expensive 1999 Accord into that area after dark

Now for the beer selection...Won't be too hard to top McGuinness

10. Question Re: Moore growing, prosperous, city leaders say

SOOO, Moore is average or bad in comparison to what communities?????

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Looking forward to trying out McNellie's, but they better have some pretty dam* good food to compete

Even though I don't know if I want to bring my super expensive 1999 Accord into that area after dark

Now for the beer selection...Won't be too hard to top McGuinness
    After dark, I'd assume most of the rough characters are cleared out of that area. Most of the low-income housing in that area is now being renovated. Northcare and other lower-class attractions close long before that.

-- although for some reason, folks are walking up and down Shartel basically all night. I have no clue where they're coming from or where they're going.

12. Default Re: Moore growing, prosperous, city leaders say

After dark, I'd assume most of the rough characters are cleared out of that area. Most of the low-income housing in that area is now being renovated. Northcare and other lower-class attractions close long before that.

-- although for some reason, folks are walking up and down Shartel basically all night. I have no clue where they're coming from or where they're going.

When you talk like that...Moore sounds even better.

Moore is much better than most suburbs to me....You couldn't pay me to live where I'd have to be concerned about what I leave in my car...Or walking around the block after dark for that matter. Is it turning into a cookie cutter town with nothing but franchises? Maybe, but the same can be said for most areas.

And at least it isn't full of smarmy people saying all the other areas suck.

Yet even with all the changes, she said, Moore also has stayed true to its roots. "We're always going to be the town and the people we've always been," she said. "We're Moore residents."
    I think that's actually a pretty good assessment. Moore is not now nor has it been (in my 50 plus years at least) a very status conscious place. The guy in overalls in front of you in the checkout line at Wal-mart that struck up a conversation with you may own a bunch of office buildings or a small business or work at a quick lube place or any number of other jobs. If he climbs into an old pickup in the parking lot that doesn't indicate much either.

People in Moore aren't very impressed by wealth, position, education, race, culture, or station. Now achievement and character and living by your word and neighborliness and patriotism are highly valued virtues. Maybe it dates to the agricultural roots of the community or the tornado disasters. I don't really know.

Moore isn't the place you would want to move if you wanted a prestigious address. And there are plenty of high dollar homes. Strangely enough it is viewed more favorably by outsiders than locals. Locals have a pretty significant and usually uninformed bias. But people in Moore for the most part don't really care what other people think about them.

Maybe Moore is better thought of as a safe and good place to live for people that haven't arrived yet but are working hard to get ahead. And some stay and some return later.

There are quite a number of little restaurants and shops and so on that I enjoy. For the most part they aren't very fancy and I suspect a lot of people would be put off by the outside. What I like about them though is that I've kind of met the people who work there. I like walking in the UPS place and the guy knowing my name or into the Rio Java coffee shop. But I like the chain places for the same reason. But that's just me.

The population is just now 50,000 and it is dwarfed by its neighbors to the south and the north. There's a certain virtue in making the most of what you have.
    Last edited by flintysooner; 07-26-2007 at 08:19 PM. Reason: corrections and adding stuff I forgot

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    People in Moore aren't very impressed by wealth, position, education, race, culture, or station. Now achievement and character and living by your word and neighborliness and patriotism are highly valued virtues.

Maybe Moore is better thought of as a safe and good place to live for people that haven't arrived yet but are working hard to get ahead. And some stay and some return later.

What I like about them though is that I've kind of met the people who work there.

There's a certain virtue in making the most of what you have.

GREAT way to sum things up. I believe that exactly is why I like the place.

15. Default Re: Moore growing, prosperous, city leaders say

Moore is just a town that excels at being average. If that's what you want to be known for, fine. Personally, I'm not a fan. I've been to the Moore Buffalo Wild Wings a few times... nice place.. about the same as every other BWW out there. Are there any restaurants or businesses in Moore which aren't franchises or are at least somewhat unique? Pickle's doesn't count -- it's terrible.

I have some cousins who live up there. They seem to enjoy it.
    First of all, if you have been to this Buffalo Wild Wings, and others, you would know that the one in moore is quite a bit larger and much nicer to the one in nw OKC. I cant speak about too many more of them, but i have heard that it is one of the better ones. Beats the ones i have been to in dallas, that is for sure.

What about Soda Pops, and GFF foods? The moore farmers market is great in the summer, just to name a few.

Don't knock it til you try it!

16. Default Re: Moore growing, prosperous, city leaders say

I do have one major gripe. For this city to be doing so well, why in the heck is everything everywhere overgrown and most places havent been mowed but a handful of times. I have called the city and asked them and they say that the public works mowing crew has 6 people on it. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I understand Moore isn't near as big as norman, but 6 people. Give me a break. If nothing else, keep the 5-6 miles of I-35 looking nice. If you had nice landscaping and green areas along the highway, people would think the city is nicer just with that one change. Yea Yea, i can hear it now....that is the states job. If we can raise the budget by 14 million bucks, i think we can spend an extra 100k for 3-4 more lawn guys.

Another complaint is how crappy the roads. I never see a city of moore street project. not saying it doesnt happen, but i havent seen any or if so, not many. Eastern from broadway to 27th is just a crappy road, 12th street is just ridiculous.

Just some gripes, but besides those couple of things and the usual ones, i enjoy living in this city. I just think with a little effort, it could be much nicer.

A large part of the problems for both the mowing and the street work is the fact that we have had so many straight days of rain.

On the mowing the amazing number of rainy days caused the staff to fall behind. The rain also caused the vegetation to grow much faster than normal for this time of year. The city invested heavily in several large and expensive mowers so they can cover quite a bit of ground with relatively few people. However, it does take a better trained staff.

As for I-35 I think that work is by the State. I could be wrong but I know there are a lot of jurisdictional issues with Moore, Norman, Oklahoma 'City, Cleveland County, Oklahoma County, and State of Oklahoma.

Road construction seems everywhere to me. At least the places I drive there is construction that seems to be taking forever. But again I know a lot of it is the rain that killed a lot of construction in the spring. Some of the major projects, like the 12th Street overpass for instance, have had to be rebid. I think 12th Street was like double or something from the engineer's estimates. The 19th Street overpass I think was delayed because of cost. And all these big projects have both Federal and State funds and maybe county so it isn't exactly the easiest thing. The downtown streetscape deal was delayed for engineering and rain reasons. The bridge on Telephone Road is still torn up and I know rain delayed it.

But email or call one of the city staff and ask about specifics. I usually get an email reply and can get someone by phone if I need to.

18. Default Re: Moore growing, prosperous, city leaders say

They are taking FOREVER to do downtown. They've had Broadway torn up for what seems like years. It's finally got asphalt on it (drove on it yesterday), and the Main/Broadway intersection has brick inlays that look really cool.

Then they bust their humps and the access road in front of JC Penny is almost finished after what...A month? I guess that's where the traffic is though.

I heard a couple of discussions about the streetscape project on the Ch 20 at the Council meetings. Besides the rain and other weather which is responsible for probably 2 months worth of delays they encountered various buried things that they did not know were there. I think that's kind of a normal problem when dealing with old areas. Seems like they mentioned something else too but beats me what it was.

I haven't been down there since it had asphalt on it. That's pretty exciting.

Heard JCP beat their own expectations on the opening. So that's pretty good news.

20. Default Re: Moore growing, prosperous, city leaders say

Yup...When I drove through there yesterday, they were painting the stripes. It's about done.

My question is, when will Western and Santa Fe finally be expanded south of 134th/4th? We're a year out from Southmoore opening, and Santa Fe is still one lane each way!

Sante Fe between 4th and 19th is HORRIBLE. The road is so bad they have Rough Road signs up and at night it is a dangerous place. The sides of the road are really hard to see and people go way too fast on it and swerve when they see a pothole making others coming the opposite way have to swerve too.

On a side note, the original city well was supposed to be directly under the intersection of Main and Broadway. I wonder if they found it when they dug there? Every time I drive by there I think of that.

Thread Information