Widgets Magazine

Thread: The Boulevard

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: The Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Do we need a Midtown parking garage on one of those giant empty lots as part of a denser development?
    There's plenty of parking in Midtown. At some point, people may have to walk a block or two to their destination, which is part of the purpose of the streetcar: Transforming the core into a more walkable environment. If OKC puts a parking garage on every block then that actually hurts the streetcar being used as a real form of transportation. Why take a streetcar if you can find parking everywhere all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    There's plenty of parking in Midtown. At some point, people may have to walk a block or two to their destination, which is part of the purpose of the streetcar: Transforming the core into a more walkable environment. If OKC puts a parking garage on every block then that actually hurts the streetcar being used as a real form of transportation. Why take a streetcar if you can find parking everywhere all the time?
    This is pretty much true, and is a large part of the reason I have not found much personal use for the streetcar. There are very few locations along the streetcar route (and certainly none in Midtown) where I can't find free parking somewhere and walk to my destination in about the same time as it would take via the streetcar. And I'd much rather spend 15 minutes walking somewhere than wait 10 minutes for the streetcar and then ride it for 5 minutes (though this is admittedly a personal preference).

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    This is pretty much true, and is a large part of the reason I have not found much personal use for the streetcar. There are very few locations along the streetcar route (and certainly none in Midtown) where I can't find free parking somewhere and walk to my destination in about the same time as it would take via the streetcar. And I'd much rather spend 15 minutes walking somewhere than wait 10 minutes for the streetcar and then ride it for 5 minutes (though this is admittedly a personal preference).
    You would be surprised how many people in OKC don't understand the concept of parking and walking to the destination. A perfect example is The Collective in Midtown. There are actual reviews online complaining about lack of dedicated parking and complaints about having to park in the lots and pay to use The Collective's little electric shuttle.

Not only is the Collective within walking distance to a large parking garage, but it is also immersed within the core of the district that has free on-street parking everywhere around it. Oh, and there is also two streetcar stops within about 150 yards of it on both sides. OKC is pathetic when it comes to the mentality of walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    You would be surprised how many people in OKC don't understand the concept of parking and walking to the destination. A perfect example is The Collective in Midtown. There are actual reviews online complaining about lack of dedicated parking and complaints about having to park in the lots and pay to use The Collective's little electric shuttle.

Not only is the Collective within walking distance to a large parking garage, but it is also immersed within the core of the district that has free on-street parking everywhere around it. Oh, and there is also two streetcar stops within about 150 yards of it on both sides. OKC is pathetic when it comes to the mentality of walking.
    You can't judge the entire city based on what some knucklehead on the internet says.

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    You can't judge the entire city based on what some knucklehead on the internet says.
    Except that's the culture that car culture has created in a sprawling city like OKC. There's an expectation that every retail or commercial establishment is going to have a massive parking lot within feet of an entrance. There's plenty of parking in Midtown. A good chunk of people here just can't fathom walking more than 10 feet to any establishment. They're so used to being able to find ample parking like they do at a parking lot at Wal-Mart or Belle Isle Station. What they don't understand is that Midtown wouldn't be Midtown if it were businesses with a sea of surface lots. That's called Quail Springs Mall, the Memorial Road corridor, Chili's, Chisholm Creek, Rockwell Plaza, or any other commercial area deprived of character and urban fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by midtownokcer View Post
    Except that's the culture that car culture has created in a sprawling city like OKC. There's an expectation that every retail or commercial establishment is going to have a massive parking lot within feet of an entrance. There's plenty of parking in Midtown. A good chunk of people here just can't fathom walking more than 10 feet to any establishment. They're so used to being able to find ample parking like they do at a parking lot at Wal-Mart or Belle Isle Station. What they don't understand is that Midtown wouldn't be Midtown if it were businesses with a sea of surface lots. That's called Quail Springs Mall, the Memorial Road corridor, Chili's, Chisholm Creek, Rockwell Plaza, or any other commercial area deprived of character and urban fabric.
    Midtown does awesome business. The car culture you're describing hasn't seemed to hurt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post

Yeah, I've got no problem walking up to two miles round-trip, as long as I have enough time and the weather is nice enough out (which it really is, most of the time). OKC certainly isn't the most walkable city in the world, but most of the core is pleasant enough. What really does need improvement IMO is bicycle infrastructure, I'd love to buy a bike for most of my shorter trips but I just don't think I'd feel safe biking around this city for the most part. Any sort of protected bike lanes would be an improvement.

Back on topic, there's absolutely no reason to care about losing six spaces of street parking in front of this building when there's a lot 10x the size behind the building.

Thread Information