Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

Default Re: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

Anybody know anything about Chromalloy?

2. Default Re: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

Quote Originally Posted by bandnerd View Post
    Mid-Del schools. For many, many reasons I will never go back and I will never recommend a teacher go there.
    That's not true at all. Mid-Del tries very hard to treat it's employees right. If you are the lady that taught at Del Crest a few years ago, then all I can say is that the performance of the group spoke for itself...which is why it was known very early in the year that you would not be back. That's not a slap to you though. It's a tough school and a horrible place to start your teaching career at. It's the kind of place that you have to fit into, and most don't. Hopefully you've since found a better fit, but don't judge the whole district on a school such as that. Mid-Del has so many teachers with 20+ years in the district, it must have something going for it.

3. Default Re: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    That's not true at all. Mid-Del tries very hard to treat it's employees right. If you are the lady that taught at Del Crest a few years ago, then all I can say is that the performance of the group spoke for itself...which is why it was known very early in the year that you would not be back. That's not a slap to you though. It's a tough school and a horrible place to start your teaching career at. It's the kind of place that you have to fit into, and most don't. Hopefully you've since found a better fit, but don't judge the whole district on a school such as that. Mid-Del has so many teachers with 20+ years in the district, it must have something going for it.
    I'll agree. Mid-Del schools have a reputation of getting teachers and keeping teachers. I'd like to see a district with more nationally board certified teachers. Plus.. i'm a little bias, I've spent 11 years in those schools, 2 other years in the putnam city district.

How about VisionQuest marketing or any telemarketing places for that matter )
    And I have to disagree too about Mid-Del schools, I have a lot of family in Midwest City, my cousin is a music teacher at one of the high schools, her daughter I think is in that district too as an elementary teacher, maybe like someone pointed out it was the school you were at bandnerd, but it sounds like you have moved on to a good situation for you over at Harding.

Quote Originally Posted by FFLady View Post
    Hi all - thought this would be an interesting topic. OK - I'll start:

Hobby Lobby Corporate. The more they grew, the more "untrusting" they became. A lot of the "Managers" there didn't treat their employees with much respect. The only reason this would be an issue is because of their "Christian" platform. Apparently the Do Unto Others motto does not apply to them. That place was definitely full of Hypocrites...
    Christian doesn't seem to have anything to do with good management. You wouldn't believe how poorly the administration at Henderson Hills Baptist Church has treated its janitorial staff in the past. Like inviting them to the company picnic, like fellow employees, and then treating them like hired caterers instead, when they actually showed up. Like being so embarrassed over the condition of one employee's car that he wasn't actually allowed to park it on the grounds of the church, although I heard maybe he was later allowed to park it somewhere inconvenient, but hidden from view. Like turning off the air conditioning in the church building and making them work without it all afternoon and evening during the worst heat of the summer. By generally just not speaking to them like they're people.

I'm only saying this now in hopes that someone there will see himself and change, if it hasn't changed already. These guys need to know that church doesn't stop on Sunday, and if they're going to run a business of sorts during the week, they need to remember they have a staff that consists of more than just those who work in their offices. They need to be treated with respect and consideration as well.

6. Default Re: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

Doesn't surprise me about Henderson Hills.

You just can't have a trashy car in the parking lot of a country club. Oh, what? You say it's a church?

Quote Originally Posted by jsibelius View Post
    Christian doesn't seem to have anything to do with good management. You wouldn't believe how poorly the administration at Henderson Hills Baptist Church has treated its janitorial staff in the past. Like inviting them to the company picnic, like fellow employees, and then treating them like hired caterers instead, when they actually showed up. Like being so embarrassed over the condition of one employee's car that he wasn't actually allowed to park it on the grounds of the church, although I heard maybe he was later allowed to park it somewhere inconvenient, but hidden from view. Like turning off the air conditioning in the church building and making them work without it all afternoon and evening during the worst heat of the summer. By generally just not speaking to them like they're people.

I'm only saying this now in hopes that someone there will see himself and change, if it hasn't changed already. These guys need to know that church doesn't stop on Sunday, and if they're going to run a business of sorts during the week, they need to remember they have a staff that consists of more than just those who work in their offices. They need to be treated with respect and consideration as well.
    Look there is an easy fix to the employee ugly car issue. What they need to do is this. Skip lunch one day and run over to the Christain book store. Go in and pick-up one of those Sign Of The Fish decals. Slap that baby on the back window. Give it a minute for the transition from ugly to devine to take affect. Head back to work and park where ever the hell they want. No one will say a word.

Quote Originally Posted by jsibelius View Post

Great post jsibelius!! I like being made aware of stuff like this. Not because I ever plan to work there....Some people can't stand "thieves", my pet peeve is "Hypocrites", and though businesses need to be ran as "business", we should all never forget how to truly treat human beings. The Churches tell us to love thy neighbor, but not your employee's????????????

Quote Originally Posted by kmf563 View Post
    Dillards Penn Square Mall. I would throw a party if it should ever burn to the ground.
    Also, County Line BBQ. May they rot.
    I couldn't agree more. I worked in men's denim and it was a friggin nightmare. My boss was Paul. We called him Destro though, because of his big bald head. Kind of like the bad guy from GI Joe with the big silver head.

Man, his breath was freaking horrible.

I worst job I ever had was serving at Red Lobster. Granted, I made a lot of money in the process, I just didn't care for the management and atmosphere (they were 86 competent managers). Does anyone else have experience with Red Lobster or serving in restaurants?
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

I worked at Lone Star and loved it. The managers weren't awesome, but the enviornment was fun.

12. Default Re: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

From what I have heard, Feed The Children is a horrible, horrible place to work.

13. Default Re: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

...also, working for Paul Seikel, especially in his hardcore coke days was a complete nightmare. Anyone who has worked at any of his restaurants has a story or two.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson8 View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I worked in men's denim and it was a friggin nightmare. My boss was Paul. We called him Destro though, because of his big bald head. Kind of like the bad guy from GI Joe with the big silver head.

Man, his breath was freaking horrible.
    lol. I remember him. And yeah, he could have used a few mentos.

I was just curious if anyone has had any bad work experiences at any of the Energy companies in town?

I think Exterran may be having some growing pains. All the guys I've ever spoken to at Devon have been super nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazerfan11 View Post
    ...also, working for Paul Seikel, especially in his hardcore coke days was a complete nightmare. Anyone who has worked at any of his restaurants has a story or two.
    I'm not familiar with him or his restaurants. Could you enlighten me?

18. Default Re: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson8 View Post
    I'm not familiar with him or his restaurants. Could you enlighten me?
    Pearls...harry's oyster bar (yrs ago) etc....

I taught at Monroney Jr. High for 11 years, and I enjoyed most of those years. The problem I had with the district is the sense that Carl Albert was the flag ship school and that they would get taken care of first in all matters.
    I felt that the building administration was weak in dealing with discipline issues, and that many teachers did not get the backing from them as they should have. Some principles should not have been hired and the district would not admit the mistake and allowed the school to pay the price. Kerr Jr. high used to be a top school along with Monroney and Carl Albert. Jarman and Del Crest are good schools with poor administration in the past.
    I also had a problem with some teachers being able to hand pick most if not all of their classes. It seemed as if they were the preferred teachers and if you were not on that list you got the lower students and trouble makers.
    I have been out of the district for 4 years now and I truely hope that things have changed since then.

20. Default Re: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

The new district administration has taken a new direction everywhere. Dr. Steel's idiotic methods were stupid and only worked for the things she wanted them to...ie Carl Albert. I think most people would agree with the feeling that CA got a better end of every deal. For example, when computers were bought for the high schools, it should be a per-student allotment like money is. Instead CA got the same amount at DC and MWC even though they have half the students. Small exmaple of the issues.

However, the new superintendent has made many strides and tossed a great deal of administrative staff in the district to clean house and get rid of some of the good ole boys around town. He pissed a lot of people off, but made the rest of us very happy with that. It's a transitionary time with the middle school adjustment and some other things. However, he's been making good moves. Part of it is changing the way the middle schools are allowed to schedule. The high schools take more of a lead in scheduling so that the two can better team teach in things like band/sports.

I'm glad to hear that as I still have a few friends teaching in the district.

I spent 2 miserable years at Convergys in Moore. I was fired and it was the best thing that ever happened to me! I actually found a job and career that I love.

Honestly, I've not loathed every place I've worked at in the last 3 1/2 years I've lived in OKC...but I will say that I've loathed many a coworker.

I think a lot of whether or not we enjoy our place of employment depends greatly on the quality of coworkers. Of course, you get what you pay for if you work big box consumer retail stores since most people could get a job there and really only about 10% should. Smaller, locally owned establishments tend to be a little pickier about who they hire simply because they have to tolerate them day in and day out more so than the HR lady at Lowe's would have to deal with a retarded cashier.

Probably my least desirable experience was working retail cellular phone sales in which the pay was 100% commission. Talk about suck! It's either feast or famine and I hated being pushed to sell more and more when the market just wouldn't tolerate it at certain times. The worst was feeling obligated to sell more accessories or upsell a phone model so I could pay my rent or put food on my table. It just felt WRONG...especially when the older or less-fortunate customers came in just because they needed to replace a phone that was technologically outdated. I still won't understand why they had to take out the proven and reliable TDMA system in the rural areas. *sigh* anyway...

24. Default Re: Worst Place to Work in the Metro

Quote Originally Posted by ewoodard View Post
    I taught at Monroney Jr. High for 11 years, and I enjoyed most of those years. The problem I had with the district is the sense that Carl Albert was the flag ship school and that they would get taken care of first in all matters.
    I felt that the building administration was weak in dealing with discipline issues, and that many teachers did not get the backing from them as they should have. Some principles should not have been hired and the district would not admit the mistake and allowed the school to pay the price. Kerr Jr. high used to be a top school along with Monroney and Carl Albert. Jarman and Del Crest are good schools with poor administration in the past.
    I also had a problem with some teachers being able to hand pick most if not all of their classes. It seemed as if they were the preferred teachers and if you were not on that list you got the lower students and trouble makers.
    I have been out of the district for 4 years now and I truely hope that things have changed since then.
    Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    The new district administration has taken a new direction everywhere. Dr. Steel's idiotic methods were stupid and only worked for the things she wanted them to...ie Carl Albert. I think most people would agree with the feeling that CA got a better end of every deal. For example, when computers were bought for the high schools, it should be a per-student allotment like money is. Instead CA got the same amount at DC and MWC even though they have half the students. Small exmaple of the issues.

However, the new superintendent has made many strides and tossed a great deal of administrative staff in the district to clean house and get rid of some of the good ole boys around town. He pissed a lot of people off, but made the rest of us very happy with that. It's a transitionary time with the middle school adjustment and some other things. However, he's been making good moves. Part of it is changing the way the middle schools are allowed to schedule. The high schools take more of a lead in scheduling so that the two can better team teach in things like band/sports.
    OKAY! Carl Albert '05 Grad, in the present. Some of our computers were paid for in Bonds, and we even had a student led fundraiser to get some of the ones we had. So before you start pointing fingers, [Due note that I never liked Steele.], we did purchase some of our own. And no, before I get questioned, i'm not one of the rich snob types. I was actually a transfer from when I did live in the CA area and moved out. I do believe also that Carl Albert had most of the students who more than excelled in state testing... I being one of them. If i'm wrong on this, please provide links to accurate numbers. Not any, I think such and such did. So I believe it's why we were more preferential to better treatment than other schools, not to mention the numerous awards our school organizations brought back being a 5A school.

Quote Originally Posted by derbynurse View Post
    Honestly, I've not loathed every place I've worked at in the last 3 1/2 years I've lived in OKC...but I will say that I've loathed many a coworker.

I think a lot of whether or not we enjoy our place of employment depends greatly on the quality of coworkers. Of course, you get what you pay for if you work big box consumer retail stores since most people could get a job there and really only about 10% should. Smaller, locally owned establishments tend to be a little pickier about who they hire simply because they have to tolerate them day in and day out more so than the HR lady at Lowe's would have to deal with a retarded cashier.

Probably my least desirable experience was working retail cellular phone sales in which the pay was 100% commission. Talk about suck! It's either feast or famine and I hated being pushed to sell more and more when the market just wouldn't tolerate it at certain times. The worst was feeling obligated to sell more accessories or upsell a phone model so I could pay my rent or put food on my table. It just felt WRONG...especially when the older or less-fortunate customers came in just because they needed to replace a phone that was technologically outdated. I still won't understand why they had to take out the proven and reliable TDMA system in the rural areas. *sigh* anyway...
    It's my understanding that Lowe's recently changed it's policy on employee duties, and their work assignments. As of January 1 of this year, all of their retarded employees are assigned to the store room, away from, and out of the customers line of sight.

And regarding your having to con little old ladies into buying a high dollar phone, in order for you to put food on the table, don't be so hard on yourself. It's a tough world out there. And in the cell phone business it's dog eat dog. I'm sure you have heard that old saying, "let the buyer beware". Therefore, if they allowed you to boost your commision by scamming them into spending a little more money, well then that's life, and they have no one to blame but themselves.

Thread Information