Widgets Magazine
Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Odot

Default Re: Odot

State drops to 41st in highway report

Oklahoma’s highway system ranks 41st in the nation in overall cost-effectiveness and condition, according to the Annual Highway Report published Thursday by Reason Foundation
    https://journalrecord.com/2019/08/22...ighway-report/

I recommend giving your input to OkDOT for this. Hopefully a Heartland Flyer extension is eyed but I doubt it.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    November 22, 2019
    PR# 19-043

The Oklahoma Department of Transportation wants to hear from the public about the state’s planned transportation projects and programs for various modes of travel over the next four years. The agency is currently seeking feedback on the Statewide Transportation Improvement Program for Federal Fiscal Year 2020 through 2023. The STIP is a planning document required by federal guidelines that details a list of upcoming projects using federal funds by the state, local and tribal governments.

The FFY 2020 through 2023 STIP include:

Highway and interstate projects by ODOT;
    Federal programs administered by ODOT, including county and small city, railroad crossing safety, active transportation and enhancement projects;
    Tribal transportation projects;
    Local government projects by member communities of the Association of Central Oklahoma Governments in the Oklahoma City metro area, the Indian Nations Council of Governments in the greater Tulsa area, the Lawton Metropolitan Planning Organization and the Frontier Metropolitan Planning Organization, which includes Oklahoma cities and towns in the Fort Smith, Ark. area; and
    Public transit programs administered by ODOT
    “The STIP gives the public a great snapshot of the federally-funded projects and programs across multiple modes of transportation that they can expect to see in their communities during the next few years,” Deputy Director Dawn Sullivan said. “Federal funds are essential for improving our transportation system, so we hope Oklahomans will take time to review this plan to see how those dollars are going to be spent.”

The full proposed STIP can be viewed online at www.odot.org by clicking the Programs and Projects tab and then clicking Transportation Programs. A printed copy of the STIP can be requested by contacting ODOT’s Strategic Asset and Performance Management Division at 405-521-6433.

Comments may be made via email to smcelroy@odot.org or in writing to the Oklahoma Department of Transportation, SAPM Division, 200 N.E. 21st St., Oklahoma City, OK, 73105. Comments will be taken through Dec. 6.

Substantive comments will be addressed and will be incorporated into the final document that will be forwarded to the Federal Highway Administration and the Federal Transit Administration later in December for review and approval.”

- https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/ne...ticle_id=55063

According to this story by Carmen Forman in the Oklahoman https://oklahoman.com/article/565334...pike-authority Gov. Stitt is floating the idea of combining ODOT and the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority. Claimed benefits: Mutual access to sand/salt, lower administrative costs, OTA tolls could pay for ODOT projects. Trans. Sec’y Gatz seems to support the idea, and Sen. Pro Tem Greg Treat has filed a bill to consolidate ODOT & OTA.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    According to this story by Carmen Forman in the Oklahoman https://oklahoman.com/article/565334...pike-authority Gov. Stitt is floating the idea of combining ODOT and the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority. Claimed benefits: Mutual access to sand/salt, lower administrative costs, OTA tolls could pay for ODOT projects. Trans. Sec’y Gatz seems to support the idea, and Sen. Pro Tem Greg Treat has filed a bill to consolidate ODOT & OTA.
    Took me a hot minute to figure out your Trans. Sec'y abbreviation... Haha

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    I think this would be a great move. I am very impressed with Stitt. I am not crazy about him but he does seem to be shaking things up in Oklahoma and not sticking to the status quo so far. I was worried we would have a Fallin V2.

I know this is a pipe dream but it would really be nice to see tolls removed entirely on I-44.

HangryHippo Guest

I thought they had been combined previously...? Was that just some administrative functions?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I thought they had been combined previously...? Was that just some administrative functions?
    The story didn't say that any functions had been previously combined, but it did mention a 1995 study that estimated $3 million in annual savings.

I suspect that the OTA bond language prohibits any toll revenue from going outside the OTA.

Will they raise Turnpike rates to fill non-Turnpike budget holes?

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    Will they raise Turnpike rates to fill non-Turnpike budget holes?
    I'm pretty sure that diverting toll revenue to non-OTA purposes would breach bond agreements.

If ODOT wanted access to OTA's salt/sand during storms, that could be accomplished by an MOU where the State agrees to either pay for the material or replenish the supply.

More than likely I-35 will be widened soon from I-44 to I-40. It is sorely needed just as bad for deficiency and outdated designs.

Apart from capacity expansion, hopefully nice design aesthetics are incorporated and possibly service road modifications are made connecting the entire length and moving from two to one way with Texas turnarounds. The road infrastructure is so bad in this area it’s not funny.

Here is the link to the meeting: https://www.ok.gov/odot/Programs_and.../20200218.html

Looks like the full scope will be revealed after a multi year study concludes. Not sure if full funding is available in the 8yr plan or not. Last I checked it didn’t look like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    More than likely I-35 will be widened soon from I-44 to I-40. It is sorely needed just as bad for deficiency and outdated designs.

Apart from capacity expansion, hopefully nice design aesthetics are incorporated and possibly service road modifications are made connecting the entire length and moving from two to one way with Texas turnarounds. The road infrastructure is so bad in this area it’s not funny.

Here is the link to the meeting: https://www.ok.gov/odot/Programs_and.../20200218.html

Looks like the full scope will be revealed after a multi year study concludes. Not sure if full funding is available in the 8yr plan or not. Last I checked it didn’t look like it.
    the first part of this project is in 2027 Odot 8 year plan

^^^ I hope it gets bumped up. If Trumps infrastructure plan becomes a reality maybe more fed funds can be identified.

Would much rather have a 44/40 interchange rebuild before that

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    That is interchange is easily going to approach half a billion dollars if it isn’t half assed. It also appears the bridges over the Canadian river are going to be modified in some way if not completely rebuilt. I would prefer the latter with a new large iconic bridge like the new ones in Dallas but given the already enormous expense this project will require I doubt that happens. Given OkDOTs usual pace I doubt we see much done in this decade unless they receive a big funding boost.

The section of I-35 in question is extremely important as well. We just need more funding and the legislators need to give ODOT a multi billion dollar per year funding boost if they are serious about bringing Oklahoma in line with other leading states.

16. Default Re: Odot

I bet the folks in NE OK City and County don't agree with you. That stretch of l35 is as it was in 1965.

The 44/40 interchange, the 35/240 interchange, and the stretch of I-35 between I-40 & I-44 all really need to be updated faster than what's currently scheduled.

18. Default Re: Odot

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    The 44/40 interchange, the 35/240 interchange, and the stretch of I-35 between I-40 & I-44 all really need to be updated faster than what's currently scheduled.
    Along with a whole bunch of other projects. Being in Denver, I'd love to see a much more direct route between OKC and Denver.

State drops to 41st in highway report

https://journalrecord.com/2019/08/22...ighway-report/
    Not surprised after the gas tax was raised and not for the purpose of fixing the bridges and highways. Too bad how people in Oklahoma don't put a higher priority on the highway system.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Along with a whole bunch of other projects. Being in Denver, I'd love to see a much more direct route between OKC and Denver.
    It is called flying in an airplane.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    They need to plan on and OKC to Denver interstate along with extending I-45 through Oklahoma to Bartlesville at least.

They need to plan on and OKC to Denver interstate along with extending I-45 through Oklahoma to Bartlesville at least.
    PluPan, most of the time I agree with you on roads, but...BARTLESVILLE??

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    PluPan, most of the time I agree with you on roads, but...BARTLESVILLE??
    Extend I-45 to tulsa. Shouldn’t Bartlesville have a freeway connection to Tulsa and it makes sense for it to be I-45 no?

Extend I-45 to tulsa. Shouldn’t Bartlesville have a freeway connection to Tulsa and it makes sense for it to be I-45 no?
    They basically do now with HWY 75 just south of Bartlesville city limits. It's four lane divided and the heavy traffic areas towards North Tulsa/Owasso/Skiatook provide controlled access.

Bartlesville is a community of 35,000, it would seem odd to have the terminus there. Ideally, the I-45 route could connect all the way to I-35 east of Emporia on the KTA, or extend it all the way to Topeka or west Kansas City along I-70. This could provide some relief of traffic on I-35 towards Dallas and be a major truck route with the Walmart Distribution Center just south of Bartlesville. The Amazon Distribution Center in Coffeyville, KS did close a few years ago in 2014-2015, so there may not be much of a demand on the Kansas side.

25. Default Re: Odot

There's already an interstate running from Joplin, MO (and points south) to KC. Kansas has upgraded a US hiway just on the KS side of the KS/MO border to mostly limited access standards so KS probably wouldnt upgrade anything else in that region. There's just not enough traffic. Maybe just build some bypasses around some of the small towns.

Thread Information