Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 405 Area Code Becoming Exhausted

1. Default Re: 405 Area Code Becoming Exhausted

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    In Tulsa they simply did an overlay over the 918. I can imagine they would do the same thing here. I'm still getting used to not dialing 10-digits.
    Hey! Things are looking up; unlike stinky ole Charlotte, you only have to dial seven numbers here!

Default Re: 405 Area Code Becoming Exhausted

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Since 580 is nowhere close to exhausting its numbers, whats the likelihood that 405 is just trimmed back by a county or 2?
    Pretty low, no one ever likes having their number change, there is a lot less push back to do an overlay. Besides the vast majority of numbers new or otherwise are in the metro, even if you clipped several of the exurbs then you are not buying much time for all the effort involved for that change.

I think the best way to slow it down is to give the lifeline companies x amount of numbers per year. Once they use them all, that's it they don't get anymore. That in itself will stop them from handing them out to anyone who wants one. The whole program needs to be re-tooled. I think a program screams it has problems when you see people selling them out of the backs of cars and in tents on street corners.

4. Default Re: 405 Area Code Becoming Exhausted

I wonder how much of an impact Google Talk and VOIP providers have on it. Of course Google is out of numbers in most cases now.

Where did you read it takes 3 years? Oklahoma Corporation Commission voted on the Tulsa overlay in January 2010 and it was active by April 2011.

The latest survey by NANPA shows an expected exhaust date of 3Q 2017. http://www.nanpa.com/pdf/NRUF/Octobe...rojections.pdf

I was told by US Cellular employees--probably 4 or 5 years ago--that OKC was going to be in a new area code within the year. I'm in my second contract with AT&T.

Blog Entries

Does 10-digit dialing really present much of a problem anymore? We all have cell phones with these numbers stored (don't we all store numbers with 10-digits nowadays for when we travel?), and who remembers phone numbers anymore (my GF of two years misplaced her phone recently and panicked... what do I do, I don't know anyone's numbers, not yours, not my kids'). Also, many no longer have home phones and are cell-only. Don't remember when the last time I saw a physical yellow pages was, so when I look up a number it's on the net via my cell and I click the number (which includes the area code) and my phone dials it. Hard to think of many scenarios for most (I know there are still a few of you that are in the country and have land lines by necessity, not intending to be insensitive to that) where 10-digit dialing would be particularly problematic...

9. Default Re: 405 Area Code Becoming Exhausted

I don't see any issue with 10-digit dialing at all. I've done it before and like you said, anyone with a cell phone has the area code already stored anyways.

The last time I dialed a 7-digit number, it was from a land line...

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Does 10-digit dialing really present much of a problem anymore? We all have cell phones with these numbers stored (don't we all store numbers with 10-digits nowadays for when we travel?), and who remembers phone numbers anymore (my GF of two years misplaced her phone recently and panicked... what do I do, I don't know anyone's numbers, not yours, not my kids'). Also, many no longer have home phones and are cell-only. Don't remember when the last time I saw a physical yellow pages was, so when I look up a number it's on the net via my cell and I click the number (which includes the area code) and my phone dials it. Hard to think of many scenarios for most (I know there are still a few of you that are in the country and have land lines by necessity, not intending to be insensitive to that) where 10-digit dialing would be particularly problematic...
    This. I don't ever hand dial numbers unless I look something up on the internet and have to call someone. Everyone else I talk to is stored in my cell phone contacts. I guess I hand dial numbers at work too, but that requires a 10 digit number to dial out anyways so I don't really have a choice.

12. Default Re: 405 Area Code Becoming Exhausted

Haha buncha kids. I dial 7 digit numbers every day, and when dialing ten digit numbers I still do it manually more often than not, when I know the number, which I usually DO. And no, not dialing from a land line (except at the office). I haven't had a land line in nearly a decade. That said, it wouldn't bother me to switch to ten-digit.

Blog Entries

:-P Hey now, I'm a "man", I'm 40 :-P

(if "man" and "big kid at heart" are equal)

14. Default Re: 405 Area Code Becoming Exhausted

I remember 40!

15. Default Re: 405 Area Code Becoming Exhausted

As mentioned here, this is really going to affect the land line folks. But that actually has a direct impact on all businesses. How many businesses out there do you know of that don't use a land line?

Now, the carriers can compensate for this if they want to. It's not like the old days where the intra-switching was physical and meant that there was a lot of crap going on behind the scenes to connect the area codes together. It's all electronic today, so there's very little going on....meaning there is little cost involved as well. So a carrier COULD simply say, hey we're not going to charge customers in 405 who call 580 and vice versa....or 918 to 580......imagine whatever split you want. There used to be packages that allowed customers (mostly was aimed at hose that lived near an area code's border) to purchase chunks of long distance calling at a lower rate. It was use it or lose it, but if you made at least that amount of calling a month, you saved a lot in your bill (back in the days when you had that lovely AT&T calling card you took with you around the country to make long distance calls...LOL.

That all being said, it also still really only affects those that their carriers even charge it. When I had Cox phone, I didn't pay for long distance. I have Vonage now and for sure don't pay for it. And if I was ever forced to, then out came the cell phone. So for MOST (not all), a cell phone will be the solution....just not in the business world.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    If They think that They are going to take away my telephone number area code prefix, They need to know that they will have to pry my 405 out of my cold, dead fingers. (i know you are tired, 405 . . . nearly exhausted . . . yet . . . i promise what i just typed . . . unless they change you overnight . . . . =)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wat.gif 
Views:	123 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	5827

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Haha buncha kids. I dial 7 digit numbers every day, and when dialing ten digit numbers I still do it manually more often than not, when I know the number, which I usually DO. And no, not dialing from a land line (except at the office). I haven't had a land line in nearly a decade. That said, it wouldn't bother me to switch to ten-digit.
    Not to mention that you could dial only 4 numbers in your cellphone and if it's a smartphone then it'll pull up that contact automatically and you can press it to fill in the whole number to dial it or you do an automated voice dial which is a prevalent feature of the iPhone, Android, or any hands-free feature on automobiles.

Why, when I was a kid, we had to walk to school, in the snow, uphill, both ways, and when we dialed numbers, we moved our fingers around the circular dial. None of this punching in the number and saying you dialed it. No sir. Bunch of do-nothings kids nowdays ask their so-called smart phone to call someone.

Now get offa my lawn!

Area codes are so 1900's. Sprint will let me get any area code I want up to 3 times every 30 days. They are now meaningless.

Change your area code on sprint.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Why, when I was a kid, we had to walk to school, in the snow, uphill, both ways, and when we dialed numbers, we moved our fingers around the circular dial. None of this punching in the number and saying you dialed it. No sir. Bunch of do-nothings kids nowdays ask their so-called smart phone to call someone.

Now get offa my lawn!
    Noob, most people old enough to have walked to school, in the snow, uphill, both ways didn't even individual numbers but party lines and had operators do their routing

I just checked the NANPA web site and they are now showing 2021, 4th Quarter for area code 405 to run out of numbers. I wonder how long in advance before we hear something about overlaying a new area code. That is just over two years.

23. Default Re: 405 Area Code Becoming Exhausted

was probably dumb to include all of central Oklahoma for one area code. They could have easily made 405 just the OKC metro area and put the rest of central into 580,

which is what I hope they do this time or drop 405 to JUST Oklahoma City or maybe Oklahoma City + County and the rest of Central Oklahoma a new code. I really hope they don't do an overlay for the same area. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

24. Default Re: 405 Area Code Becoming Exhausted

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    was probably dumb to include all of central Oklahoma for one area code. They could have easily made 405 just the OKC metro area and put the rest of central into 580,

which is what I hope they do this time or drop 405 to JUST Oklahoma City or maybe Oklahoma City + County and the rest of Central Oklahoma a new code. I really hope they don't do an overlay for the same area. ...
    The first time I remember hearing about 405's pending exhaust was back in December 2000. At the time, NANPA projected the exhaust to happen in the 4th quarter of 2002. From at least that time, though, the relief method chosen was an overlay. IIRC, the last split performed anywhere was in 2007 with the creation of area code 575 in New Mexico.

It looks like it is really going to happen this time. I am not sure why they are saying that we'll be saying goodbye to the 405 area code.

https://www.theadanews.com/news/loca...72489e19a.html

Thread Information