Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma the Friendliest, Coldest place on Earth

Default Re: Oklahoma the Friendliest, Coldest place on Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    If you are honestly interested in learning, then more information can be provided.

But when you emphatically state "nowhere near the level of options we've had in Colorado" without having any knowledge of what is offered here (which is ample) then people are probably not going to go to a lot of trouble to help you when you seem to have already decided not to like it here.
    I'm going by my up to date experiences so far. I see no Korean (Please not Gogi Go), Vietnamese or Hispanic that has caused me to repeat visit to date. I like going out for food but am not seeing it here. Pizza? Yes, Hall's Pizza Kitchen is about the best I have have had. We've had some really good Korean food in Dallas.. but nothing to speak of yet here.

If you are honestly interested in learning, then more information can be provided.

But when you emphatically state "nowhere near the level of options we've had in Colorado" without having any knowledge of what is offered here (which is ample) then people are probably not going to go to a lot of trouble to help you when you seem to have already decided not to like it here.
    I'm going by my up to date experiences so far. I see no Korean (Please not Gogi Go), Vietnamese or Hispanic that has caused me to repeat visit to date. I like going out for food but am not seeing it here. Pizza? Yes, Hall's Pizza Kitchen is about the best I have have had. We've had some really good Korean food in Dallas.. but nothing to speak of yet here.

^

Not as prevalent with also not nearly as many peoeple. And not the same as not existing.
    I'm not trying to stir an argument, just like saying we have lakes, it is water yes but doesn't compare to either coast. If being by an ocean or mountains is very important, Oklahoma really isn't going to be a place that makes one happy long term. Oklahoma can't be everything to everyone, and it isn't. And that is okay. But yes, there are options that can come close if compromise is acceptable. I have no idea who PurpleChicken is, so I can't say what the best move is. Clearly he or she is unhappy.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Beautiful country down there. I think that is by far the best bet in Oklahoma. I wish NW Oklahoma was protected a little more instead of agricultural. It is more scenic than it gets credit for, in some areas anyway.
    Yeah there are some good hiking areas in NW OK but there's definitely not as much unobstructed wilderness. About the only thing that comes to mind is Black Mesa which is pretty cool. The Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo isn't in OK obviously but is closer than Black Mesa and is pretty massive and cool as well...just don't go in the summer!

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleChicken View Post
    There are many more places to try.

If you really want to know, Yelp is a good source.

And if your standard is going to be L.A. and Dallas, the 2nd and 4th largest metro areas in the U.S., you are always going to be disappointed.

I moved here after 25 years in L.A. where I did almost everything you could do as often as anyone could do it. I lived at the beach, road my bike to Santa Barbara and San Diego, worked on studio lots. Yet, I've found plenty to keep me busy and happy here; there are tradeoffs but plenty of good if you are open to it. You are going to have to decide if you want to try and be happy here or not.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Yeah there are some good hiking areas in NW OK but there's definitely not as much unobstructed wilderness. About the only thing that comes to mind is Black Mesa which is pretty cool. The Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo isn't in OK obviously but is closer than Black Mesa and is pretty massive and cool as well...just don't go in the summer!
    I *really* want to check out the Little Sahara state park. Oklahoma is full of these hidden gems of natural areas, but unfortunately just not as wide spread. So to Pete's point, yes they exist. Just depends what you are trying to get out of your experience that will decide how worth it is for you.

There are many more places to try.

If you really want to know, Yelp is a good source.
    You are going to have to decide if you want to try and be happy here or not.
    Yes, I know what Yelp is and I'm very aware of of the food scene here. I would say more than aware. Just nothing I've found that warrants a revisit. We used to go to Ted's Escondido and it's ok but got tired of that. Breakfast places, none of any quality. Coffee, yes, like Coffee Slingers. Bakeries, meh.. Vietnamese, none we could find. Hispanic, none. Heck, I would even go for some tasty Roach Coach OC foods. Fuzzy's isn't bad. Hacienda Tacos is pretty good actually. Italian, meh.

Be happy, like take it or leave it...?? LOL <smile>

No, like keep an open mind.

There are tons more places to try in all the categories you've listed.

I am not big on asian foods in general as I am a very pickey eater, so I am not a resource on the subject. However I am confused you couldn't find any Vietnamese food that you liked, Oklahoma City has a huge Vietnamese population and from what I have read some of the better, more authentic Vietnamese restaurants in the country, rivaling LA or SF.

the new york times came to OKC to write about the Vietnamese food scene google is your friend

I *really* want to check out the Little Sahara state park. Oklahoma is full of these hidden gems of natural areas, but unfortunately just not as wide spread. So to Pete's point, yes they exist. Just depends what you are trying to get out of your experience that will decide how worth it is for you.
    Forgot to mention Little Sahara for UTV/ATVs. UTV Takeover is going to be there in September.

I am not big on asian foods in general as I am a very pickey eater, so I am not a resource on the subject. However I am confused you couldn't find any Vietnamese food that you liked, Oklahoma City has a huge Vietnamese population and from what I have read some of the better, more authentic Vietnamese restaurants in the country, rivaling LA or SF.
    Yeah, I used to live near Little Saigon in California... Nothing here rivals that for me to date. NYT or not. Like I said, found some great Korean in Dallas and exceptional Thai in Denver area. OKC may think they have restaurants that rival those places but not from what I've found to date.

There ain't no way.

check this list,

https://la.eater.com/maps/best-vietn...-little-saigon

Freakn amazing food.

I really wish Oklahoma would have some urban, progressive small towns like Sedona and Moab. The towns of Medicine Park and Davis-Sulphur have the potential to become very vibrant and fun with the right vision and then are located near natural tourist attractions like Moab.

Heck, I would even go for some tasty Roach Coach OC foods. Fuzzy's isn't bad. Hacienda Tacos is pretty good actually. Italian, meh.
    I like Hacienda Tacos. Now I have a hankering.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I really wish Oklahoma would have some urban, progressive small towns like Sedona and Moab. The towns of Medicine Park and Davis-Sulphur have the potential to become very vibrant and fun with the right vision and then are located near natural tourist attractions like Moab.
    I could be wrong but those vibes are provided by trust funds. Perhaps we’ll get there if oil gets north of $120.

The food aspect of this thread sounds like a good friend of mine who moved here from Houston. It took me 5 years of dragging him to all sorts of places before he finally let go of the stigma that OKC is podunk and of lesser quality than any other large metro area. He now runs his own coffee shop and now touts himself as a local foodie.

I believe like most transplants that have no connection here, they have this idea that OKC is not a top tier city and that mindset actually clouds judgement of what are some top quality places. Even from my travels around the country and to Europe we have a large number of cultural establishments that would hold their own.

OKC may be lacking in certain types of cuisine or maybe not as good as some cities but I'd argue that our Vietnamese options are as good as any major metropolitan city.

Pho Lien Hoa
    Pho Cuong
    VII Asian Bistro
    Magasin Table
    Pho Ca Dao
    Lee's Sandwiches
    Quac Bao
    Pho Tai Nguyen
    Lido

And many more.

18. Default Re: Oklahoma the Friendliest, Coldest place on Earth

Speaking of Korean I miss Chae....

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    We've eaten at their new location many times before March, but not since then. It looks like they're still open, there's a FB post from 7/28.

I don't think many of the complaints on here are an OKC specific problem, but a suburban problem. it is just that suburbia makes up a lot of OKC.

Head to the core, walk to great restaurants, have a chance encounter with a stranger, become friends with someone on a bike ride. Live in a neighborhood with sidewalks, inviting front porches and no attached garages.

I've met interesting people from all over the world in OKC. I've never once felt left out for not going to church or not being married after 30. I didn't grow up in OKC so i didnt have a built in social group or advantage knowing a bunch of people already. There are tons of people who aren't obsessed with sports and aren't divorced with 2 kids by 23. You just aren't going to find them isolated in your car driving back and forth to work while living in Mustang.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    You and me both. It was so good.

Yes, I know what Yelp is and I'm very aware of of the food scene here. I would say more than aware. Just nothing I've found that warrants a revisit. We used to go to Ted's Escondido and it's ok but got tired of that. Breakfast places, none of any quality. Coffee, yes, like Coffee Slingers. Bakeries, meh.. Vietnamese, none we could find. Hispanic, none. Heck, I would even go for some tasty Roach Coach OC foods. Fuzzy's isn't bad. Hacienda Tacos is pretty good actually. Italian, meh.

This list. I'd be cross with the food choices too.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    This list. I'd be cross with the food choices too.
    . 😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    OKC may be lacking in certain types of cuisine or maybe not as good as some cities but I'd argue that our Vietnamese options are as good as any major metropolitan city.

Pho Lien Hoa
    Pho Cuong
    VII Asian Bistro
    Magasin Table
    Pho Ca Dao
    Lee's Sandwiches
    Quac Bao
    Pho Tai Nguyen
    Lido

And many more.
    Who serves broken rice? Nobody I’ve found. Who serves Vietnamese crepes/pancakes w/shrimp? No one I’ve found. Who makes those delicious meat on sugarcane sticks? No one I’ve found. There may be a strong Vietnamese presence in okc but restaurants are still lacking.

BTW, Lee’s sandwiches in Irvine by UC Irvine is much better than our local Lee’s.

Who serves broken rice? Nobody I’ve found. Who serves Vietnamese crepes/pancakes w/shrimp? No one I’ve found. Who makes those delicious meat on sugarcane sticks? No one I’ve found. There may be a strong Vietnamese presence in okc but restaurants are still lacking.
    So, since the small amount of places you've tried doesn't have those particular items, you've made up your mind.

There are several restaurants that carry the first two and I"m sure the third as well.

Honestly, everything you post is how you've already decided that OKC sucks instead of saying, "Where would I find these items?" Rather, you make a sweeping and insulting generalization: "OKC restaurants are still lacking" while also admitting you've barely tried any of them.

If you really want answers to the questions you keep posing, a little graciousness and respect would go a long way.

Thread Information