Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: GE Global Research

1. Default Re: GE Global Research Center

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    Thanks for the correction about the length, the information I looked up was very old.
    I still believe the main runway could probably be lengthened further if needed.
    + Some of the OU athletic teams and some fans would probably appreciate it when they charter planes.
    It's all good. Runway 17/35 has plenty of room to extend about another 2000' on the south end if needed. That, in additional with widening the runway another 50 feet would allow pretty much any size aircraft to operate into there. The issue then becomes the weight limits on the taxiways and ramp areas. I'm not sure what the largest aircraft operated into OUN has been so far, largest I've seen is an Embraer ERJ-145. SWO (stillwater) has had OSU charter in 737s for their football team before there, and their runway width is only 100' as well but length around 7400'.

For Norman itself, it would probably be a good idea to look at investing in the airport some more an increasing the capacity of 17/35. It would relieve many restrictions when it comes to aircraft size (and flight distance) to help not only the business community but also the school.

Default Re: GE Global Research Center

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    It's all good. Runway 17/35 has plenty of room to extend about another 2000' on the south end if needed. That, in additional with widening the runway another 50 feet would allow pretty much any size aircraft to operate into there. The issue then becomes the weight limits on the taxiways and ramp areas. I'm not sure what the largest aircraft operated into OUN has been so far, largest I've seen is an Embraer ERJ-145. SWO (stillwater) has had OSU charter in 737s for their football team before there, and their runway width is only 100' as well but length around 7400'.

For Norman itself, it would probably be a good idea to look at investing in the airport some more an increasing the capacity of 17/35. It would relieve many restrictions when it comes to aircraft size (and flight distance) to help not only the business community but also the school.
    Good points!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The two locations being considered in Norman are almost certainly the South Research Campus (near Lloyd Noble) and University North Park (I-35 & Robinson).

The South Research Campus already has a great deal of intellectual capital and enough vacant land for this and for future expansion possibilities. OU also owns the wooded area just south of Highway 9 between Chautauqua and Jenkins.

Having this facility on OU’s main campus would probably give OU and the state the biggest benefit in the long run. OU would be able to claim that X amount of dollars’ worth of research were being done on its main campus…. This is vital to AAU membership for OU and to the additional dollars that AAU membership would bring in.

The South Research Campus already has a great deal of intellectual capital and enough vacant land for this and for future expansion possibilities. OU also owns the wooded area just south of Highway 9 between Chautauqua and Jenkins.

Having this facility on OU’s main campus would probably give OU and the state the biggest benefit in the long run. OU would be able to claim that X amount of dollars’ worth of research were being done on its main campus…. This is vital to AAU membership for OU and to the additional dollars that AAU membership would bring in.
    Some education, please. Doesn't OU also own UNP? Who owns Max Westheimer? What would it take to call wherever GE puts down as OU campus? Does it have to be it's main campus to get AAU benefits?

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Some education, please. Doesn't OU also own UNP? Who owns Max Westheimer? What would it take to call wherever GE puts down as OU campus? Does it have to be it's main campus to get AAU benefits?
    As I understand, and I could be wrong, but it’s very helpful in the eyes of the AAU folks to have the research being done on your main campus. OU owns Max Wertheimer but I’m not sure how the AAU would feel about it not being on OU’s main Norman campus…… I would bet that Boren and company has or will soon check into this from the AAU angle.

Nebraska was recently kicked out of the AAU in part because so much of their medical research was being done in Omaha and not on their main campus in Lincoln. Membership in the AAU has been a topic of conversation in some of the conference realignment talk in recent years. Nebraska is now the only B1G University not in the AAU.

As I understand, and I could be wrong, but it’s very helpful in the eyes of the AAU folks to have the research being done on your main campus. OU owns Max Wertheimer but I’m not sure how the AAU would feel about it not being on OU’s main Norman campus…… I would bet that Boren and company has or will soon check into this from the AAU angle.

Nebraska was recently kicked out of the AAU in part because so much of their medical research was being done in Omaha and not on their main campus in Lincoln. Membership in the AAU has been a topic of conversation in some of the conference realignment talk in recent years. Nebraska is now the only B1G University not in the AAU.
    Interesting points. While I think it would be incredible for this to be located in OKC, I think in the long run Oklahoma would benefit more if it is located in Norman/OU and OU earns AAU membership. Hard to claim a university is "world class" without AAU membership - doesn't mean it isn't a good school, but it usually precludes inclusion in the top rung of rankings. Either way, it is a great addition to Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Lufkin is likely to be combined with GE Artificial Lift, which is currently headquartered in OKC. If this happens, I wonder if GE Artificial Lift will be headquartered in OKC or Lufkin, TX.

Either way, the manufacturing facility in OKC will continue operating, but if they kept the HQ in OKC, it could mean a small influx of very highly paid jobs.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CurtisJ View Post
    Lufkin is likely to be combined with GE Artificial Lift, which is currently headquartered in OKC. If this happens, I wonder if GE Artificial Lift will be headquartered in OKC or Lufkin, TX.

Either way, the manufacturing facility in OKC will continue operating, but if they kept the HQ in OKC, it could mean a small influx of very highly paid jobs.
    Wouldn't GE move Lufkin's operations to where they already have their artificial lift business?

Downtown has some distinct advantages, the primary one being close to some of their largest customers. Cotton Mill, C2S, and the Airpark will very soon (and I use that time frame loosly) be connected to OU and WRWA via commuter rail. I am just afraid they are going to want an isolated facility which makes Norman a better choice. If they are going to have tons of open space and facility set in the middle of 10 acres then I don't want them downtown or anywhere near it.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Wouldn't GE move Lufkin's operations to where they already have their artificial lift business?
    Lufkin is quite a bit larger than the existing GE Artificial Lift, it is unlikely that they would move any of the existing manufacturing locations, it would be very expensive and you would lose an incredible amount of industry knowledge with employees that were unwilling to move.

In places like Houston, Midland, Denver, North Dakota where both companies have a small existing shops or sales offices it is likely that they will combine operations.

The big question is, where does the HQ go?

HangryHippo Guest

Lufkin is quite a bit larger than the existing GE Artificial Lift, it is unlikely that they would move any of the existing manufacturing locations, it would be very expensive and you would lose an incredible amount of industry knowledge with employees that were unwilling to move.

In places like Houston, Midland, Denver, North Dakota where both companies have a small existing shops or sales offices it is likely that they will combine operations.

The big question is, where does the HQ go?
    Interesting. I wonder what their timeline is for making a decision...

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Interesting. I wonder what their timeline is for making a decision...
    Well, the deal is likely to take several months to complete, and initially the acquisition will be treated as a separate business group until upper level management decides they are ready to merge the two businesses.

I am certain that the two will be merged at some point. They didn't re-name GE-ESP to GE Artificial Lift just for kicks (ESP is one form of artificial lift, the only one currently produced by GE at the moment, Lufkin represents every other major form of Artificial Lift on the market today).

Likely no decision this year as to how they will be merged.

HangryHippo Guest

Well, the deal is likely to take several months to complete, and initially the acquisition will be treated as a separate business group until upper level management decides they are ready to merge the two businesses.

I am certain that the two will be merged at some point. They didn't re-name GE-ESP to GE Artificial Lift just for kicks (ESP is one form of artificial lift, the only one currently produced by GE at the moment, Lufkin represents every other major form of Artificial Lift on the market today).

Likely no decision this year as to how they will be merged.
    Hmm, well with their research center locating here in OKC metro area, it seems to make sense to have your other business related to O&G in the same city. Maybe that's wishful thinking. But if you keep the manufacturing and related work down in Lufkin, I don't see the problem in moving the leadership here.

Any estimates when this thing will be built and operating? 2-3 years maybe

Gov. Mary Fallin was on Flashpoint.

Some highlights:
    Austin TX was the other finalist for the GE Oil & Gas Research Center.
    GE said to expect up to 1,000 research jobs when the research center is fully developed.
    GE said to expect visitors from around the world to come to the center.

Blog Entries

Another OU v UT win.

BOOMER SOONER!

Quote Originally Posted by vaflyer View Post
    GE said to expect up to 1,000 research jobs when the research center is fully developed.
    The more we learn about this, the more it seems like a very big deal.

Not only a ton of jobs, but high-paying and high-profile.

And even though this will be oriented around the energy business, it's a different kind of operation and thus helps in the diversification of the local economy.

OKC's employment base is pretty darn impressive, especially when considering where we were just 20 years ago.

BTW, in a weird coincidence, I'm working on a consulting project for a company that is located in an office park In Long Beach which is part of a massive multi-use development on the former site of a large Boeing facility. The same Boeing facility that is being phased out with all the jobs moved to OKC.

Very strange to see the old Boeing buildings coming down and the new ones near Tinker going up.

This is a very big deal.
    Energy research departments and their jobs have always been pretty much top of the food chain jobs in the industry.

But this big deal should be parlayed into additional successes that on their own and over time could lead to large numbers of high wage spin off jobs in similar and in other disciplines of research.

It would literally be the mistake of a life time if state leaders don’t make sure this new GE energy is located somewhere on OU’s campus.
    I hope I’m wrong, but there may be a lack of understanding in our state about how an OU location far exceeds any other location in their long term benefits to the entire state.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Another OU v UT win.

BOOMER SOONER!
    This is a great deal for Oklahoma! But.

Wow Rover, that's deep. Like the whole world doesn't know that the University of Texas is a far superior public university to the University of Oklahoma. There's not even a comparison. If you're talking football, well yeah and I'll Boomer Sooner with you. But academics? It's like comparing Harvard to North Dakota State.

This article appeared in today’s Sunday Oklahoman.
    They did a fine job on this but in future articles I wish they would cover more about how we can best parlay this into other high end wage jobs and advance the states academic research standing.

General Electric is bringing its focus on energy to Oklahoma | News OK

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post

Wow Rover, that's deep. Like the whole world doesn't know that the University of Texas is a far superior public university to the University of Oklahoma. There's not even a comparison. If you're talking football, well yeah and I'll Boomer Sooner with you. But academics? It's like comparing Harvard to North Dakota State.
    OU academics have a ways to catch UT but by putting this on OU’s campus OU can start to close the gap a little and in one of the most important fields of study that OU and UT already very much go head to head in.

Putting this on OU’s campus would probably be the single most important decision in advancing OU’s mission for the state in modern times.
    If it’s on OU’s campus it will improve the entire university.
    If it’s not at OU.... the benefits are pretty much limited to OU’s energy research programs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post

Hardly the same as Harvard v NDS, but keep dreaming. There are several disciplines where OU is academically superior to UT. However, volume isn't one of them as UT has twice the students. By being larger they also have more research funds, which boosts their academic standing. And in ego, they lead by a large margin.

As for the benefits to OU, it probably doesn't matter much whether it is actually physically located on campus or in OKC. Norman is so close that the students will benefit by internships, support jobs, etc. They aren't going to hire OU to do the work, just will work cooperatively on projects and use some of their professors and grad students.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    As for the benefits to OU, it probably doesn't matter much whether it is actually physically located on campus or in OKC.

If you want OU to be in the AAU and receive all its benefits, as I understand it, the difference between being located in OKC and on OU’s campus is everything......! That’s why I keep saying that it needs to be on OU’s campus...

UT and the other university’s in Texas receive far more state funding than do universities in Oklahoma.
    The state of Texas will be using some of their new huge oil wealth money to significantly upgrade the University of Houston and Texas Tech University with the eventually goal of the AAU for both.

Thread Information