Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Default Re: Covell and I-35 Development Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Halloweenblonde16 View Post
    Has there been any rumors of restaurants or stores on the land in front of Showbiz Movies?
    This is what I want to know. So few restaurants for such a busy area...

Quote Originally Posted by juhobra View Post
    This is what I want to know. So few restaurants for such a busy area...
    Rooftops, there needs to be more rooftops. Edmond desperately wants Covell and 35 to be the center for everything, even giving about $15 million in incetnives to bring hotel and movie theater, not too mention more incentives for the sports complex on other side of 35. Yet even with those anchors being in place for several years, there still isnt much to show. That may change in a couple years but it shows you cant put the cart (economic development) before the horse (rooftops).

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Rooftops, there needs to be more rooftops. Edmond desperately wants Covell and 35 to be the center for everything, even giving about $15 million in incetnives to bring hotel and movie theater, not too mention more incentives for the sports complex on other side of 35. Yet even with those anchors being in place for several years, there still isnt much to show. That may change in a couple years but it shows you cant put the cart (economic development) before the horse (rooftops).
    it has little to do with rooftops ....

it has much more to do with who has owned the property ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    it has little to do with rooftops ....

it has much more to do with who has owned the property ..
    What, they are against selling land or developing the property at the moment? Rooftops and demographics are definitely at play here. Yes there is solid avg household income in the area, just not enough households to move the needle for most retailers and restaurants.

It's a tough chicken-and-egg situation. Edmond is focusing so much on Covell and I-35 because they're trying to actually look forwards and plan. Over the next 30 years the largest growth in Edmond will be East and North. But you're right, it's hard to get the economic development there to take off until there is more density. But on the flip it's harder to get that density until you have more economic development. I do think the pandemic slowed things down, but that eventually the efforts will pay off.

Seems like I recall and rather large apartment complex was in the plans between the hotel and the theater. It seems that location would be a perfect fit for additional restaurants and other shops to have success in that area. Does anyone else recall possible apartments to be built in that area?

^^^ yes it was to be apartments around 700-800 with retail on the bottom and a paseo type street going straight from the theatre to the hotel. It’s been years since it was proposed though same sh!t with the McDonald’s and it still happened so maybe they’re just waiting.

Here y’all go even though it’s city wide.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Rooftops, there needs to be more rooftops. Edmond desperately wants Covell and 35 to be the center for everything, even giving about $15 million in incentives to bring hotel and movie theater, not too mention more incentives for the sports complex on other side of 35. Yet even with those anchors being in place for several years, there still isnt much to show. That may change in a couple years but it shows you cant put the cart (economic development) before the horse (rooftops).
    The city of Edmond is surely eyeing city sales tax money from customers of the new businesses at Covell and I-35 coming in from Enid and Stillwater. Both towns don't have a lot of things that Edmond has, such as that fabulous new movie theater complex for starters. Neither have the two towns been able to attract major new business and especially industry. So not much distracting competition from there to discourage from going to Edmond.

looks like Puppy Paws is going to relocate to this area

from the last planning commission meeting

Public Hearing and Consideration for a Final Plat for Puppy Paws, located south of Covell and Market Street. (Covell 35 Development LLC)

Construction is ongoing behind the McDonald's at this development (I-35 and Covell SW Corner) Any idea what is being built? I have seen plans for a new Mercy ER but that land is closer to I-35 than this property that is being worked on at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    Construction is ongoing behind the McDonald's at this development (I-35 and Covell SW Corner) Any idea what is being built? I have seen plans for a new Mercy ER but that land is closer to I-35 than this property that is being worked on at this time.
    The owner on the county website says AG PUPPY COVELL RE HOLDINGS LLC so maybe it is the new Puppy Paws location.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrenogolf View Post
    The owner on the county website says AG PUPPY COVELL RE HOLDINGS LLC so maybe it is the new Puppy Paws location.
    yep as i posted right above his post in https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.p...55#post1205955

yep as i posted right above his post in https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.p...55#post1205955
    Thank you Boulder, confused that with the new vet hospital on the East side of 35 on Covell.

Thank you Boulder, confused that with the new vet hospital on the East side of 35 on Covell.
    no problem ..

i really hope development continues in this area

no problem ..

It will. You know this. Lots of development planned. They’ve already approved a lot just it’s just up to developers to fund it which the existing development is already killing it!

no problem ..

Slowly, it will. It better, the city has put about $20 million in incentives into the area.

This might have been already posted as it has been in the works for a few years but Crossings Church is planning a new campus in this area at air depot and covell. I think this is something that will start in the next year possibly.Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 8.54.03 PM.jpg

There is a proposed townhome development on the north side of Covell between Air Depot and Midwest called Easton Woods. This agenda says that the planning commission will discuss on Jan 17th but I think it may have been pushed Feb 21st.

https://www.edmondok.gov/84/Agendas-Minutes

There is a proposed townhome development on the north side of Covell between Air Depot and Midwest called Easton Woods. This agenda says that the planning commission will discuss on Jan 17th but I think it may have been pushed Feb 21st.

Calling it meadow brook now. Premium land LLC is what is listed which means this will be a taber homes development 😐

And citizens are already lined up ready to fight it.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    ^^^ yes it was to be apartments around 700-800 with retail on the bottom and a paseo type street going straight from the theatre to the hotel. It’s been years since it was proposed though same sh!t with the McDonald’s and it still happened so maybe they’re just waiting.
    I thought the area between the hotel and movie theatre was going to be condo's. Heard that prior to Covid but maybe it's changed. All apartments due is bring density not value to the area. Most people that live out that way would prefer a sub-division similar to Town Square between Coltrane and Air Depot off Danforth.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvershoes View Post
    I thought the area between the hotel and movie theatre was going to be condo's. Heard that prior to Covid but maybe it's changed. All apartments due is bring density not value to the area. Most people that live out that way would prefer a sub-division similar to Town Square between Coltrane and Air Depot off Danforth.
    i've never heard anything about condos. Doesnt really seem like a market for those in Edmond.

Why do apartments bring no value? They bring value for would be renters and nearby retailers.

i've never heard anything about condos. Doesnt really seem like a market for those in Edmond.

Why do apartments bring no value? They bring value for would be renters and nearby retailers.
    Which also brings a ton of value to homeowners but some people refuse to believe that apartments even well done ones contribute to valuation.

And citizens are already lined up ready to fight it.
    didn't they do the same with that Walmart several years ago on Coltrane and Covell

Thread Information