Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Tulsa Development Summary

Default Re: Tulsa Development Summary

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    There’s a new proposal to dam the Arkansas River in Tulsa, GT Bynum, Tulsa city councilor and head of the river task force is now proposing a smaller $200 million project to replace the dam at 33rd Street and add new dams at 49th Street and 103rd Street. The dams for Sand Springs and Bixby would be a later phase and vote.
    Hyperlocal blog: Bynum offers new dam proposal -
    I think that has a better chance passing since Tulsans will be the main ones voting for it. How does that work since it's a county tax though, wouldn't Owasso and other county cities not on the river be paying for it as well?

I hope it can pass. The Zink Dam improvements will really enhance the Gathering Place especially the whitewater flume that is part of that project. Water in the river just makes the parks and trails along the river so much nicer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I think that has a better chance passing since Tulsans will be the main ones voting for it. How does that work since it's a county tax though, wouldn't Owasso and other county cities not on the river be paying for it as well?

I hope it can pass. The Zink Dam improvements will really enhance the Gathering Place especially the whitewater flume that is part of that project. Water in the river just makes the parks and trails along the river so much nicer.
    Not a county tax, only Tulsa and Jenks will be involved. And hopefully the Creek Nation since they have several hundred millions dollars invested in the area of the 103rd Street dam.

Blog Entries

The Coliseum Apartments are complete. 36 Apartments in a renovated building in the East Village area by Nelson+Stowe Development (Eliot Nelson)

The tax credits for the Palace Building (also known as the Excalibur Building) conversion to residential have been approved. This project is by Berkshire Hathaway and will have 58 apartments at 4th and Main with retail on the first floor.

Demolition is underway for The View at Greenwood development, this is the 200 unit new residential building by American Residential across the street from Oneok Field

The Tulsa Public Facilities Authority may be trying to force some improvements to the REI development at 71st and Riverside. They have failed to approve the plan as is twice now.

The Sinclair Building at 5th and Main goes to auction for taxes owed on September 15th barring any other last minute maneuvers by its bankrupt out of state absentee owner.

Blog Entries

The Coliseum Apartments are complete. 36 Apartments in a renovated building in the East Village area by Nelson+Stowe Development (Eliot Nelson)

The tax credits for the Palace Building (also known as the Excalibur Building) conversion to residential have been approved. This project is by Berkshire Hathaway and will have 58 apartments at 4th and Main with retail on the first floor.

Demolition is underway for The View at Greenwood development, this is the 200 unit new residential building by American Residential across the street from Oneok Field

The Tulsa Public Facilities Authority may be trying to force some improvements to the REI development at 71st and Riverside. They have failed to approve the plan as is twice now.

The Sinclair Building at 5th and Main goes to auction for taxes owed on September 15th barring any other last minute maneuvers by its bankrupt out of state absentee owner.
    Here's a photo of The Sinclair Building. It has a great location and great potential in the right owners hands. The current owner did nothing but drive all the tenants out. He's the same guy that nearly ruined the Tulsa Club Building before he lost that building at auction.

Not a county tax, only Tulsa and Jenks will be involved. And hopefully the Creek Nation since they have several hundred millions dollars invested in the area of the 103rd Street dam.
    Tulsa and BA need to form an alliance to further a regional urban planning agenda. Jenks is great, but not the big kahuna. BA will be almost as big as Tulsa in a few decades, considering how much further east they could sprawl if they wanted to. BA already has its own freeway loop, practically. The day that they get serious about their downtown and historic hoods is when they'll be a serious competitor and potential ally; don't judge these large suburbs based on what they have done so far, because there are too many successful "transformed suburb" models out there, like Overland Park, Plano, et al.

They all start ****ty, hit critical mass, then amp up their development practices at the right time when they have a strong wind of growth behind them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Tulsa and BA need to form an alliance to further a regional urban planning agenda. Jenks is great, but not the big kahuna. BA will be almost as big as Tulsa in a few decades, considering how much further east they could sprawl if they wanted to. BA already has its own freeway loop, practically. The day that they get serious about their downtown and historic hoods is when they'll be a serious competitor and potential ally; don't judge these large suburbs based on what they have done so far, because there are too many successful "transformed suburb" models out there, like Overland Park, Plano, et al.

They all start ****ty, hit critical mass, then amp up their development practices at the right time when they have a strong wind of growth behind them.
    You mean a regional planning group? Maybe something like INCOG (Indian Nations Council of Governments)
    INCOG | Tulsa, OK | Regional Partners - Regional Solutions

Broken Arrow does have it's own highway loop and is investing and growing it's very small downtown area, now know as The Rose District.
    Home - Rose District

The agreement on the dams between Jenks and Tulsa is because they share the river south of 91st Street, Tulsa is on the east bank there and Jenks is on the west bank.

Blog Entries

The Tulsa Performing Arts Center owns the lot across the street from the center and have asked for proposals to develop the site.

Two of the three of the responding proposal include a new downtown Reasor's location. All three include condos/apartments and ground floor retail. One seems to replace Reasor's with a hotel.

Here's one of the renderings:

To note, a couple of the proposals were from companies based in Indianapolis, including Milhause who has trekked around OKC.
    When you look at the location, it's prime, bordering the edges of the CBD and Bluedome.

Definitely hope something becomes of this. Tulsa is quietly turning out many nice infill projects.

Quote Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
    To note, a couple of the proposals were from companies based in Indianapolis, including Milhause who has trekked around OKC.
    When you look at the location, it's prime, bordering the edges of the CBD and Bluedome.

Definitely hope something becomes of this. Tulsa is quietly turning out many nice infill projects.
    I see one of the proposals includes a true full-service grocery store. Hope that happens as that is what is needed for downtown Tulsa to add even more residential density especially in the east end of downtown and Pearl District areas that are most ripe for redevelopment.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I see one of the proposals includes a true full-service grocery store. Hope that happens as that is what is needed for downtown Tulsa to add even more residential density especially in the east end of downtown and Pearl District areas that are most ripe for redevelopment.
    Two of the three included Reasor's. Reasor's has also reported been talking to Brickhugger (the Mayo Hotel, aLoft and several other projects) about being in their Hartford Building conversion project. It looks like Reasor's has real plans for a downtown location pretty soon.

A proposal like this would be a dream come true for anywhere in downtown OKC.

Blog Entries

Berkshire Hathaway finalizing plans for Excalibur Building.

53 apartments with retail on the ground floor

Warren Buffett plans apartments, renovations for downtown... | www.fox23.com
    The Tulsa World is reporting that The Palace (Excalibur) Building conversion starts construction today. 58 apartments with retail space on the ground floor.

Page A7 - Tulsa World: Tulsa World E-edition

Blog Entries

By my count that makes 21 projects under construction in downtown Tulsa right now:

1. Tulsa Central Library 5th and Denver Complete Rehab of Central Library
    2. Urban 8 2nd and Kenosha 8 Residential for Sale Units
    3. Avanti Building 810 S Cincinnatti Reconstruction of Office Building
    4. YMCA Lofts 5th and Denver Residential Conversion of former YMCA
    5. East End Village 2nd and Kenosha Residential Conversion of Bill White Chevy Dealership
    6. Harrington's Lofts 7th and Boston Residential Conversion of former Department Store
    7. Main and Cameron Lofts Main and Cameron Residential Conversion of Former Warehouse
    8. Hampton Inn 3rd and Cheyenne New Construction Hotel
    9. The Edge at East Village 215 S Greenwood New Residential Building
    10. Hogan Assessments HQ NE Corner of 1st and Greenwood New Office Building
    11. Mincks-Adams Hotel Building 403 S Cheyene Residential Conversion of office building on national register of historic places
    12. Transok Building 2 W. Sixth St Residential Conversion of hotel on national register of historic places
    13. 111 W 5th Building 111 W 5th Residential Conversion of office building
    14. Rehabilitation Center 13th and Trenton New Construction Rehab Center by Hillcrest Hospital
    15. Dead Armadillo Brewery 1004 E 4th Microbrewey in converted warehouse space
    16. Fox Hotel/Universal Ford Building Main and Brady Retail/Residential Conversion
    17. International Harvester Building 2nd and Frankfort Conversion to Office Space
    18. Gates Hardware Building Elgin and Brady Conversion to Office Space and Retail
    19. 400 S Boston Building 4th and Boston Conversion to Residential
    20. Palace Building 4th and Main Conversion to Residential
    21. Residence Inn 5th and Cheyenne New Construction Hotel

The site for a 22nd project, The View at Greenwood, just finished demo work and should start very soon. These 22 projects have a total 869 residential units, 230 hotel rooms, 50,000 sq ft of retail and 325,000 sq ft of office space.

The Tulsa Performing Arts Center owns the lot across the street from the center and have asked for proposals to develop the site.

Two of the three of the responding proposal include a new downtown Reasor's location. All three include condos/apartments and ground floor retail. One seems to replace Reasor's with a hotel.

This will be a phenomenal development. Getting a real grocery store will make downtown housing a lot more marketable, especially if Reasor's invests in a unique atmosphere to distinguish the location from its other stores (which are all pretty decent).

I like the green roof, but my experience with grocery projects is that they present a unique opportunity for rooftop parking. On one hand you generally have a large column-supported building, and a legitimate need for on-site parking. Perfect combination of forces for a little site plan innovation.

I know Kroger has been experimenting with the idea. Toured a really cool project such as this in Lexington nearby UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    This will be a phenomenal development. Getting a real grocery store will make downtown housing a lot more marketable, especially if Reasor's invests in a unique atmosphere to distinguish the location from its other stores (which are all pretty decent).
    Living in OKC, I have to say I am very jealous of this development. I am hoping the 4th and EK Gaylord development turns out to be similar to this, even if its on a smaller scale.

Was driving around town a few nights ago. You can see this from a few vantage points across town in a few directions... And it's only half way done. This will dominate the river view and be a decent visual landmark and link between the city's two tallest towers (Cityplex vs. BOK), stretching miles from South to North.

Pretty cool.

Blog Entries

PAC Trust has selected a developer for the parking lot east of the PAC. Indianapolis-based firm Flaherty and Collins proposed a development that includes parking, apartments and a new downtown Reasor's store.

PAC Trustees, Developer Continue Talks To Transform Downtown Par - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

Thanks for the updates Swake.

Downtown Tulsa is going to be red hot if that follows through if even at least 95% of what we're being told could happen.
    A development like that becomes a catalyst very easily.

I am very jealous of this development. Hopefully something like this can be proposed here eventually.

A green roof on Reasor's would be a nice touch here. Even better if they grew something that could be sold in the store.

I feel like I am turning into a typical cynical millennial, but color me HIGHLY skeptical that Reasor's sees the light of day any time soon. Unless the city plans on subsidizing the snot of the this, there needs to be a minimum number of households in a certain area before a bank would even entertain the thought of funding a grocery store. Sorry guys, hate to be a negative nancy. If there aren't enough rooftops in DTOKC for a full service store, I seriously doubt there is in Tulsa. Especially considering Tulsa, unlike OKC, actually has decent intown grocery options just down the road in midtown.

Everything else looks awesome, though :-)

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    I feel like I am turning into a typical cynical millennial, but color me HIGHLY skeptical that Reasor's sees the light of day any time soon. Unless the city plans on subsidizing the snot of the this, there needs to be a minimum number of households in a certain area before a bank would even entertain the thought of funding a grocery store. Sorry guys, hate to be a negative nancy. If there aren't enough rooftops in DTOKC for a full service store, I seriously doubt there is in Tulsa. Especially considering Tulsa, unlike OKC, actually has decent intown grocery options just down the road in midtown.

Everything else looks awesome, though :-)
    I tend to agree, though I personally don't think OKC's issue with attracting a grocery store downtown has as much to do with rooftops as it does with parking requirements and the fact that OKC doesn't have a strong grocery chain in expansion mode like Tulsa has with Reasor's.

Time will tell. I really hope something like what has been proposed in Tulsa happens in Midtown OKC within the next 5 years, perhaps with an Uptown Market instead of Reasor's.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I tend to agree, though I personally don't think OKC's issue with attracting a grocery store downtown has as much to do with rooftops as it does with parking requirements and the fact that OKC doesn't have a strong grocery chain in expansion mode like Tulsa has with Reasor's.

Time will tell. I really hope something like what has been proposed in Tulsa happens in Midtown OKC within the next 5 years, perhaps with an Uptown Market instead of Reasor's.
    Downtown and several of the adjacent districts are exempt from the city's normal parking requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Downtown and several of the adjacent districts are exempt from the city's normal parking requirements.
    True, but eliminating parking would require a much higher number of rooftops within a much shorter distance from the store, which would make the "not enough rooftops" objection valid. Given the fact there are virtually no modern, quality grocery stores south of 50th St in the core, a Midtown grocery store with ample parking would be a draw for the entire core and there is definitely enough rooftops to support it. Not sure how much doing structured parking instead of surface would increase the cost of development but that could be one of the deterrents.

Thread Information