Widgets Magazine
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 131415161718

Thread: OU football 2014

Default Re: OU football 2014

Mike needs to move on. And take Kish with him if he's not already gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post

My opinion wont be the most popular one...but, I still give Mike a pass for this years debauchery on defense. Excuses are like assholes, and yes everybody's got them, but the lack or talent, and experience in the secondary (namely) the safeties, were absolutely detrimental. By seasons end, they were rolling out 3 true freshman in Parker, Thomas and Thomas. The entire season, they were working with a temporary patch at corner back, by playing Julian Wilson out of position. (He's a safety.....not a corner, and doesn't have the physical attributes to be a cover corner.) Yet, because of the lack of talent..he was out there...out of position...all year. That combined with a safety ALWAYS being lost out there...it was a disaster.

With the young guys being back, and actually having a full year of college experience, the secondary should play much better moving forward. I'm not saying that things will be "fixed," but those glaring issues were magnified this year, by the inexperience. A few "tweeks" here and there, combined with returning experience, will make a difference. Will ti be enough of a difference for him to keep his job? Who knows!
    B

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post

My opinion wont be the most popular one...but, I still give Mike a pass for this years debauchery on defense. Excuses are like assholes, and yes everybody's got them, but the lack or talent, and experience in the secondary (namely) the safeties, were absolutely detrimental. By seasons end, they were rolling out 3 true freshman in Parker, Thomas and Thomas. The entire season, they were working with a temporary patch at corner back, by playing Julian Wilson out of position. (He's a safety.....not a corner, and doesn't have the physical attributes to be a cover corner.) Yet, because of the lack of talent..he was out there...out of position...all year. That combined with a safety ALWAYS being lost out there...it was a disaster.

With the young guys being back, and actually having a full year of college experience, the secondary should play much better moving forward. I'm not saying that things will be "fixed," but those glaring issues were magnified this year, by the inexperience. A few "tweeks" here and there, combined with returning experience, will make a difference. Will ti be enough of a difference for him to keep his job? Who knows!
    B

My problem is with the basic fundamentals, like making a tackle. I've seen high schoolers make better one on one tackles than some of the secondary players.

But then again if your coach has a brain bigger than a pea and not re-kick a punt to burn 5 seconds, they wouldn't need to attempt as many tackles.

Sooner Nation, I feel we have our hungry Coach Bob Stoops back. You could hear it in his voice. See it in his eyes. By his actions in letting go Huepel and Norvell. If there are more changes on the D-side of the ball, then fine. But even if there are no more changes in staff, the message is loud and clear of what Coach Stoops expects and with a sense of urgency. ...there is a new standard in Norman today and Coach Stoops is holding them to that standard.

Blog Entries

Bob Stoops made some bold changes; you could see that it was a difficult decision. If you don't see any improvements next year; Bob & Mike Stoops' heads will be in the gallows:

I remember the year before Mack Brown being let go that he cleaned house in a great way. Apparently M. Stoops did not get the LSU gig.

So, I am really curious about what other people think;
    IF our pass DEFENSE was ranked 117 out of 128, why were both OFFENSIVE Coordinators fired before:
    Secondary Coach
    Linebackers Coach
    Defensive Coordinator?

They aren't done making changes yet.

Pay attention Bob Stoops! what you saw COACH Meyer do last night and throughout the season was COACH. Think more about coaching and less about the past seasons and maybe OU can begin to recapture its fire for NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS. Oh, I forgot you get beaten by the BEST COACHES (Meyer, Miles and Carroll) in those games as well. sigh

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Pay attention Bob Stoops! what you saw COACH Meyer do last night and throughout the season was COACH. Think more about coaching and less about the past seasons and maybe OU can begin to recapture its fire for NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS. Oh, I forgot you get beaten by the BEST COACHES (Meyer, Miles and Carroll) in those games as well. sigh
    Bob didn't have a clue when to turn down a punk penalty on a punt against OSU. It turned out to be a good thing for the BIG 12 though. OSU qualified and then won their bowl game.

Blog Entries

It obvious that Bob doesn't want to fire his own brother. The defense wasn't the only problem, the offense couldn't make the plays needed down the stretch whenever the defense did make stops.

OU needs to step up its recruits. We aren't getting the 'blue chippers' we use to secure back in Barry Switzer's era.

Bob Stoops has been made to feel like a legend with one National Champion under his belt (2000 vs. Florida State).

We were creamed by Southern California in Miami; along with loses to Florida in Miami and Louisiana State in New Orleans. Stoops is one of four in National Championship appearances.

There were great expectations following the 2014 Sugar Bowl convincing win over a powerful Alabama team which gave us hope. 2014 regular season was all downhill since the early losses to TCU (in Fort Worth), Kansas State and Baylor in disappointments at home. The come-from-behind loss to OSU was bad coaching and the defense.

Stoops' is trying to give Mike a chance to find a job without dismissing his brother; Mike, you're going to have to take a pay cut if you want out of Norman.

Thread Information