Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Streetcar Route

Default Streetcar Route

Official route, approved 2/16/17 by City Council:

Default Re: Streetcar Route

Yep! Here is the video of the route that Catch 22 helped me put together.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uLnZIQ0tNKg

^

Thanks!

I added the vid to the article as well.

Just curious, will it ever be expanded to the southside as in a citywide streetcar or will stay primarily around the core?

I believe it will be expanded from Capitol Hill all the way to 63rd street as that route is currently being adopted by our Regional Transit System Plan. So the downtown Phase 1 is probably just the beginning. On a personal note, I would like to see the Plaza District and OCU our next Phase of major expansion.

Would that run up 16th? Would it stop at Penn or just carry up to May? May to 10th could give a connection the Fairgrounds.

Shouldn't the planning start now for phase 2? ..... It seems like once the planning begins that there are many years to actually get it up and running.

Also I kept thinking that this route was going to go along 13th street and actually interact with the Edge development. Did Heritage Hills not want it running along their neighborhood boundaries?

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    Shouldn't the planning start now for phase 2? ..... It seems like once the planning begins that there are many years to actually get it up and running.

Also I kept thinking that this route was going to go along 13th street and actually interact with the Edge development. Did Heritage Hills not want it running along their neighborhood boundaries?
    Heritage Hills doesn't extend to 13th Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    Heritage Hills doesn't extend to 13th Street.
    Not physically, but politically...

I was told the route turns around short of 13th because of costs.

Watching the video I really like the proximity it comes to some areas. making more things walkable. that is another adjustment everyone will have to make. Public transportation isn't about dropping you on the doorstep of everywhere you want to go.. it gets you close enough to walk. when you have been car dependent you don't get that ( que people circling in parking lots to get 30 feet closer to the door )

I think that "a Phase 2" is entirely possible through the next MAPS. However, which area gets it depends on who fights for it. I think that the Plaza District and Uptown are likely easy candidates. That being stated, I haven't seen them fight for it or press city officials to meaningfully plan for it however.

There is this line that is now part of the Regional System Plan which was drawn in by the consultants several weeks ago. It is expansive and probably presumes some Federal Funding.

And yes, the "original" MAPS 3 Phase 1 System Map did go up to 13th. It was shifted to 11th as the Dewey/11th intersection was thought to be a better transition point to xpand the system to the NW. And yes, Heritage Hills did regularly have people come to our meetings and protest 13th.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    I think that "a Phase 2" is entirely possible through the next MAPS. However, which area gets it depends on who fights for it. I think that the Plaza District and Uptown are likely easy candidates. That being stated, I haven't seen them fight for it or press city officials to meaningfully plan for it however.

There is this line that is now part of the Regional System Plan which was drawn in by the consultants several weeks ago. It is expansive and probably presumes some Federal Funding.

And yes, the "original" MAPS 3 Phase 1 System Map did go up to 13th. It was shifted to 11th as the Dewey/11th intersection was thought to be a better transition point to xpand the system to the NW. And yes, Heritage Hills did regularly have people come to our meetings and protest 13th.
    Oy vey. Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Oy vey. Ridiculous.
    Maybe I'm crazy, but I like it going down 11th Street better than 13th. Closer to all the action in Midtown.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTonte View Post
    Maybe I'm crazy, but I like it going down 11th Street better than 13th. Closer to all the action in Midtown.
    Agreed. Plus it's closer to the sex shop on the SE corner of The Edge so less of a walk...

16. Default Re: Streetcar Route

I agree. 13th is mostly lined with low-density, suburban-style development so I doubt it would be a good candidate for the streetcar anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Agreed. Plus it's closer to the sex shop on the SE corner of The Edge so less of a walk...
    True, but I thought the sex shop was going to be right on the corner, facing Heritage Hills? Wouldn't that put it right at 13th and Walker? I could be mistaken of course.

[QUOTE=Sid Burgess;The north side of 13th should have 3 story buildings, south side 3-5. And from then south, MidTown should be free to densify. 13th street TOD gives the city a really good way to manage this important boundary. I'd even be in favor of the city buying up anything it could on 13th to make this easier.[/QUOTE]

The area on the north side of NW 13th is limited to 35 feet or 2 stories.

http://www.okc.gov/planning/downtown..._6_22_2011.pdf

Sorry if this is a dumb question,but is the phase 2 extension listed part of maps 3, and if so has it been decided? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    True, but I thought the sex shop was going to be right on the corner, facing Heritage Hills? Wouldn't that put it right at 13th and Walker? I could be mistaken of course.
    That's right... Yep, the streetcar should go down 13th!

Quote Originally Posted by cg3md View Post
    Sorry if this is a dumb question,but is the phase 2 extension listed part of maps 3, and if so has it been decided? Thanks.
    I don't think it is a part of MAPS 3. I think that Phase 2 would be implemented on its own terms based on the success of Phase 1. Urban Pioneer would know best.

Blog Entries

I was under the impression MAPS3 included phases 1 and 2, but welcome correction.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I was under the impression MAPS3 included phases 1 and 2, but welcome correction.
    Phase I only - there was/is some hope that it might be able to help provide a match for Federal funds for Phase II, if I understand correctly.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the correction

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Phase I only - there was/is some hope that it might be able to help provide a match for Federal funds for Phase II, if I understand correctly.
    There is a phase 1 and phase 2 in the maps budget. And schedule

Thread Information