Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailhead OKC Urban Hikes

Default Trailhead OKC Urban Hikes

This is a new group that has formed and will be having their second urban hike on Sunday May 17th.

The first was very well attended -- close to 100 I believe. The second already has 127 signed up:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1439471529697674/

Absolutely fantastic idea and a great way to see the City, meet like-minded people and get some exercise.

This event will consist of a group six-mile hike in and around the core of OKC.

Join us after for a picnic in Bicentennial Park!
    (Please bring your own food, blanket, and picnic basket!)

Sights on this hike include:

Civic Center, Deep Deuce, Flat Iron, Urban Streetscapes, Uptown, Gold Dome, Overholser Mansion, Breathtaking Views and more!!!

Join us and explore the city like never before! We are here to enjoy the great yet under-utilized public spaces OKC has to offer as wall as promote walking in OKC.

Walking is not only a healthy alternative to driving, it promotes community building, safety, and a more interesting and dynamic place to call home!

Bring lots of water, comfy shoes, food for the picnic, and friends!!

Meet at the Civic center park around 3:00pm. The hike will take about 3 hrs then we will celebrate by having a feast at the park!

Default Re: Trailhead OKC Urban Hikes

Thanks for posting this Pete! This is what I was telling you about. Mainly my buddy, Addison Ball, started this. I've been helping him, as well as a few others. We would LOVE to see a bunch of you guys show up! It's a total blast. This hike is going to start at the Civic Center, North to Uptown, and back down, I believe through automobile alley. It's a fun way to check out the urban landscape of OKC. Addison spent a bunch of time out in China teaching English, so he has seen some real urban landscapes. As for me, I've spent some time in Japan. We both would love to promote a bit more walkability downtown, and throughout the city.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask or post on the group on Facebook!

I would like to attend one of these i love walking around downtown when I'm downtown. I have met so many others that get out and do Urban Exploring you would be surprised just the general amount of the public who are just out and about hiking and walking around the neighborhoods. It is a mix of people ages, races etc. a lot of locals but do run into out of town-ers who do ask for those local hang out spots. I'm more then happy to give them tips pretty suave when it comes to downtown neighborhoods. I point out stuff people don't realize when they are urban exploring. I love the history of this city it is beyond rich in culture. Present and Past someday I would love to join one of these hikes you guys need to have them on a late afternoon or evening weekend etc.

4. Default Re: Trailhead OKC Urban Hikes

Pete, this is my son Addison's project. It's awesome. We've done both hikes (we had to leave yesterday's a bit early) and they were a lot of fun. I saw things I didn't know existed and I've lived here all my life and do a pretty good job of keeping up with development.

I'll post again before hike #3.

Blog Entries

Yep I've done both (and met colbafone). Addison told me they were shooting for every third Sunday, just FYI for planning.

6. Default Re: Trailhead OKC Urban Hikes

Next Hike is this Sunday at 4:00 starting at Myriad Gardens. Hike will include the Scissortail bridge and Capitol Hill. Come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseDweller View Post
    Next Hike is this Sunday at 4:00 starting at Myriad Gardens. Hike will include the Scissortail bridge and Capitol Hill. Come join us!
    I signed up. Looking forward to this.

Wish I could be there but I will be breaking in my new hiking boots in New Mexico. Hopefully next time.

Blog Entries

Hoping to make this! Looks great.

Did this today and I had a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Did this today and I had a great time.
    Awe man I wanted to meet you! I probably did without realizing it, haha. Thanks for coming out! This hike was a bit different from the previous two. For those of you not too familiar with Capitol Hill, it is an AWESOME area. I have no idea if it will ever be a large district like Uptown, but if you are ever up for some good Mexican food, hit the area up. Tons of AMAZING buildings in this area. Really reminded me of downtown Guthrie. Everything was street level and it was just a large street wall from Walker/Hudson/wherever we were to Robinson.

This was my favorite hike so far. I was more unfamiliar with the south side compared to downtown or further north. Once Wheeler Park is up and running, the whole Hubcap Ally and Capitol Hill area could become a MASSIVE lure for people. We will see.

Addison is already planning the next one. I like to think I help him with that, haha. We have talked about several idea and areas. I would love to see a bunch of you guys a the next hike! They're all about 7 miles or so, but relatively easy. Just make sure to bring water.

12. Default Re: Trailhead OKC Urban Hikes

It was way hot but a lot of fun. I've done 2.5 of the 3 hikes and I've seen something new and a lot of things from a much different perspective each time. It's really a great way to get to know the city better. Yesterday was great - Capitol Hill has so much potential.

One of the cooler things I noted, we all stopped at the convenient store on the corner on Robinson in Capitol HillHill for water and what not. I talked to the clerk a little bit and she said she's there almost everyday so I asked how busy she stays. She said her store is pretty busy all day. Granted it looked to be the onlystore like it in the area, but I thought that was cool. And for a later Sunday afternoon, there we're a bunch of people in the area. Didn't look one bit like Capitol Hill was bereft of activity.

Had a great time on the hike. GF and I went into a bakery on 25th and the people in there looked at us like we were aliens for about 5 seconds. Very friendly though, after getting over the initial shock (not sure if it was the whiteness or the sweatyness or both). Looking forward to the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    Awe man I wanted to meet you! I probably did without realizing it, haha. Thanks for coming out! This hike was a bit different from the previous two. For those of you not too familiar with Capitol Hill, it is an AWESOME area. I have no idea if it will ever be a large district like Uptown, but if you are ever up for some good Mexican food, hit the area up. Tons of AMAZING buildings in this area. Really reminded me of downtown Guthrie. Everything was street level and it was just a large street wall from Walker/Hudson/wherever we were to Robinson.

This was my favorite hike so far. I was more unfamiliar with the south side compared to downtown or further north. Once Wheeler Park is up and running, the whole Hubcap Ally and Capitol Hill area could become a MASSIVE lure for people. We will see.

Addison is already planning the next one. I like to think I help him with that, haha. We have talked about several idea and areas. I would love to see a bunch of you guys a the next hike! They're all about 7 miles or so, but relatively easy. Just make sure to bring water.
    I agree. I was amazed by Capitol Hill personally. I had been through it numerous times driving through but have never walked it on foot. What makes the area is impressive is that street wall and the fact that most of the urban bones are still intact. I can definitely see that area being very popular one day. Hopefully it doesn't lose its character though as it gentrifies.

16. Default Re: Trailhead OKC Urban Hikes

Next Trailhead Hike is July 26 at 7:00 PM. Check out the Facebook page for more info. Should be big fun!

Reminder about tonight's 6-mi hike meeting at 4:00PM at Bicentennial Park!

https://www.facebook.com/events/118911985319807/

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Reminder about tonight's 6-mi hike meeting at 4:00PM at Bicentennial Park!

https://www.facebook.com/events/118911985319807/
    from the FB page:

^

Holy cow!

That's an awesome turnout.

Nice turnout! I need to be a part of this next time!

Here's another one I took. Pardon the total pedestrian use of the street.

Edit, my phone is being stupid give me a minute.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trailhead.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	5.11 MB 
ID:	13829

Edit #2 - There we go!

I wish I would have known about that. It's something I would like to have participated in. I like walking, and it would be a good way to meet people and see parts of the city few get to see

It was awesome. Highly recommend it.

24. Default Re: Trailhead OKC Urban Hikes

A lot of fun. Check out the FB page for the group for more pictures, including some panoramic shots I took with my new 360 camera. I think there were close to 200 folks there.

25. Default Re: Trailhead OKC Urban Hikes

Addison did a couple of more of these around bricktown for the 20th Anniversary Celebration of the Canal. Went on the morning one and while it was HOT, it was really fun. Never knew that little two foot wide alley was there.

Thread Information