Widgets Magazine
Page 51 of 56 FirstFirst ... 46474849505152535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1391

Thread: OKC Boulevard

Default Re: OKC Boulevard

For decades, the city has never been proactive about this sort of thing.

Same with weeds and trash and street maintenance... They just wait until people complain and then maybe do something.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    For decades, the city has never been proactive about this sort of thing.

Same with weeds and trash and street maintenance... They just wait until people complain and then maybe do something.
    It's a local government management political philosophy - people (theoretically) want low taxes, therefor the City must make do with a more reactive service provision model. Until political leaders test this philosophy by floating increases in taxes and higher service levels in return, we won't know if that's really what people are willing to accept.

Blog Entries

Maybe it'll finally make the "all knowing" traffic engineers look bad enough that their sway will weaken.

(it was hard to not laugh when typing that)

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    It's a local government management political philosophy - people (theoretically) want low taxes, therefor the City must make do with a more reactive service provision model. Until political leaders test this philosophy by floating increases in taxes and higher service levels in return, we won't know if that's really what people are willing to accept.
    We also keep our sales tax -- the primary city funding mechanism -- artificially low to accommodate MAPS.

So, we can fund big shiny things but then do a terrible job maintaining the city as a whole.

If you've ever lived anywhere else, it's pretty shocking to see the difference in how OKC handles this versus almost every other peer city.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    This is not a generic local government philosophy, it is an OKC philosophy. Even Tulsa does way better at keeping the lights on, medians mowed, etc. This city simply has no regard for aesthetics, and it is multigenerational. It has been one of the ugliest, most unkempt cities for decades, MAPS or no.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    This is not a generic local government philosophy, it is an OKC philosophy. Even Tulsa does way better at keeping the lights on, medians mowed, etc. This city simply has no regard for aesthetics, and it is multigenerational. It has been one of the ugliest, most unkempt cities for decades, MAPS or no.
    Agreed. OKC just doesn’t care.

7. Default Re: OKC Boulevard

MAPS for cleanliness. ...

sorry, couldn't help it. But instead of putting aside $100M in endowments as a gift to the local banks, OKC could make an 1/8th cent permanent increase in the sales tax permanent to care about keeping the city cleaned up and mowed. Maybe have another 1/8th cent permanent increase for the Parks Department and we're really getting somewhere with O&M. Even with this total of $0.0025 per dollar increase in the sales tax, you could still implement MAPS and most folks wont even notice the difference tax wise. It is really time OKC looks at permanent increases and stop with the excuses.

Oh, and the new/existing transit system can get funding from the gas tax; which also is artificially low (lowest for the region). You could increase it for transit operations and maintenance (maybe even capital expenditure) but still be the lowest gas prices in the region.

That's how we do it here (gas tax funds maintenance/operations, property tax and tabs funds capital).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

8. Default Re: OKC Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    MAPS for cleanliness. ...

sorry, couldn't help it. But instead of putting aside $100M in endowments as a gift to the local banks, OKC could make an 1/8th cent permanent increase in the sales tax permanent to care about keeping the city cleaned up and mowed. Maybe have another 1/8th cent permanent increase for the Parks Department and we're really getting somewhere with O&M. Even with this total of $0.0025 per dollar increase in the sales tax, you could still implement MAPS and most folks wont even notice the difference tax wise. It is really time OKC looks at permanent increases and stop with the excuses.

Oh, and the new/existing transit system can get funding from the gas tax; which also is artificially low (lowest for the region). You could increase it for transit operations and maintenance (maybe even capital expenditure) but still be the lowest gas prices in the region.

That's how we do it here (gas tax funds maintenance/operations, property tax and tabs funds capital).
    Add trash collection along the dams/inlets on the Oklahoma River and I'll double vote for it. When I go fishing around the city I usually bring a grocery bag to pick up trash with as I go, but it'd take a dump truck for everything along the river

this is a huge deal that will be great for that area

the street light needs to be part of this asap

That's awesome for the Farmers Market District

Took it last night from I-40 eastbound back into downtown. It was very dark and desolate coming in between the highway and about Klein. If I wasn't so familiar with it, it would've been downright scary. Any idea when the lights will be lit?

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    Took it last night from I-40 eastbound back into downtown. It was very dark and desolate coming in between the highway and about Klein. If I wasn't so familiar with it, it would've been downright scary. Any idea when the lights will be lit?
    It's been that way for at least 4 years.

The story is that now that the city has taken over responsibility that will all be fixed.

14. Default Re: OKC Boulevard

The story is that now that the city has taken over responsibility that will all be fixed.
    If I remember correctly, the copper wire was stolen out of the lights a couple weeks after that section first opened.

I almost hit someone crossing the street there the other night. Didn't see them until they I was even with them.

It's incredibly dangerous and has been for quite a while.

Thanks. Guess I've never traveled it at night. That's just sad.

Oklahoma intersection relocation construction has started

Blog Entries

I wonder how many millions in private investment this intersection relocation will spur.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I wonder how many millions in private investment this intersection relocation will spur.
    We laugh, but it may make that parking to the west of the UHaul slightly more valuable.

21. Default Re: OKC Boulevard

Other than winning the award for "Best Civic Snot," what was U-Haul's reason for denying the logical access route?

Quote Originally Posted by dwellsokc View Post
    Other than winning the award for "Best Civic Snot," what was U-Haul's reason for denying the logical access route?
    They wanted to be paid to move their entrance to the west side of the building and I believe it would have triggered other expensive building code upgrades.

The city didn't want to pay what they wanted, took them to court for eminent domain, and once they realized that the independent commissioners were likely to stipulate a price close to what Uhaul wanted, the city dropped the suit and are now doing this workaround.

Such a waste...

The entire blvd is a joke, this is just the cherry on top.

So are they going to re-curb the Oklahoma Ave intersection now? Or do we get nice crusty concrete barriers to sit idle along there for the next decade?

Thread Information