Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 24 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

NCAA Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

Media days are here so it's time to start getting serious about Big 12 football. Who knows what will happen this year. It should be interesting anyway.

10 questions to ponder going into Big 12 Football Media Days | News OK

2. Default Re: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

Ready for football...still over a month to go. :-P

Side note...anyone else crack up with all these "official" threads?

Default Re: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Ready for football...still over a month to go. :-P

Side note...anyone else crack up with all these "official" threads?
    I officially crack up, venture. LOL

4. Default Re: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I officially crack up, venture. LOL
    Lord. LOL

Well here is some random banter...

Look for Division 4 to revolutionize college athletics - CBSSports.com

Hey, Venture, are you going to put the word Official in your August weather thread? ;-)

6. Default Re: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Hey, Venture, are you going to put the word Official in your August weather thread? ;-)
    Damnit. I was going to, since August is normally boring, but now that's ruined. *pouts*

I don't think you guys are taking the officialness of this thread very seriously. Watch out or the topic police will get you...

8. Default Re: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BrettM2 View Post
    I don't think you guys are taking the officialness of this thread very seriously. Watch out or the topic police will get you...
    The season won't get here soon enough. :-P

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    The season won't get here soon enough. :-P
    Indeed. Should be a good one too, seems like any one of four or five teams has a legitimate shot to win the conference.

There is never much real news that comes from Media Days but here is an analysis of OU after their turn today.

NewsOK Videos

This might deserve it's own thread but, in this age of constant hiring and firings of college coaches, this is amazing.

OU football: Bob Stoops' contract extended through 2020 season | News OK

I'll get the conversation going: I think OSU is going to thrash the Big 12 through the air this year. The Pokes this year will be an air raid version of when Pat White was QB at WVU. Both Chelf and Walsh will be excellent (Walsh passes way better than he gets credit, Chelf scrambles a lot better than he gets credit) and the new OC likes mobile QBs.

The Cowboys offensive system, since Zac Robinson QB'd it, has become what OU's was 3-5 years ago. They would have been in more championship games and BCS bowls if they got more respect back then.

Nobody else in the Big 12 looks good, not even TCU which is losing players, even though their D will keep them up at the top. Baylor may be surprisingly good with Seastrunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I'll get the conversation going: I think OSU is going to thrash the Big 12 through the air this year. The Pokes this year will be an air raid version of when Pat White was QB at WVU. Both Chelf and Walsh will be excellent (Walsh passes way better than he gets credit, Chelf scrambles a lot better than he gets credit) and the new OC likes mobile QBs.

The Cowboys offensive system, since Zac Robinson QB'd it, has become what OU's was 3-5 years ago. They would have been in more championship games and BCS bowls if they got more respect back then.

Nobody else in the Big 12 looks good, not even TCU which is losing players, even though their D will keep them up at the top. Baylor may be surprisingly good with Seastrunk.
    I was watching a season preview on ESPN the other day and they said a "date to circle" was TCU at OSU on October 19th.

OSU should have been in the championship game two years ago. The 'Bama / LSU "rematch" game was a joke. Pokes got screwed. As for this season, they do seem to have the best team, and OU has to play them in Stillwater. To me the wild card will be whether or not OU makes improvements in its running game, O-line, and defense. If they do, it could be a tossup, but I agree OSU has the edge right now.

The problem with OU lately is a sense of contentment with the Stoops dynasty, and I don't think they can get their edge back until they make a bold move with their program. OSU, Baylor, TCU, K-State, all have new facilities.

Owen Field isn't big enough to be in the same category as DKR or the Horseshoe where it will be a legendary home field no matter what. I would never be enough of a homer to think Boone Pickens will always be an impressive home field without expansion and improvement.

OSU is the hot new car in the garage, and it's an easy sell to the top recruits, especially if they think they would do well in Gundy's air raid system.

The problem with OU lately is a sense of contentment with the Stoops dynasty, and I don't think they can get their edge back until they make a bold move with their program. OSU, Baylor, TCU, K-State, all have new facilities.

Owen Field isn't big enough to be in the same category as DKR or the Horseshoe where it will be a legendary home field no matter what. I would never be enough of a homer to think Boone Pickens will always be an impressive home field without expansion and improvement.

OSU is the hot new car in the garage, and it's an easy sell to the top recruits, especially if they think they would do well in Gundy's air raid system.
    LOL, Spartan. So OU's main problem is that the stadium isn't large enough and can't be a legendary home field no matter how many games they win. Got it.

Tradition doesn't win recruits. Facilities and current program standing do.

Blog Entries

That's pretty cynical for someone who values maintaining tradition so highly. LOL

Tradition doesn't win recruits. Facilities and current program standing do.
    OU out recruits OSU pretty much every year.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    OSU should have been in the championship game two years ago. The 'Bama / LSU "rematch" game was a joke. Pokes got screwed. As for this season, they do seem to have the best team, and OU has to play them in Stillwater. To me the wild card will be whether or not OU makes improvements in its running game, O-line, and defense. If they do, it could be a tossup, but I agree OSU has the edge right now.
    OSU didn't get screwed. They lost to a bad Iowa State team. They had an argument to be in the title game, but Alabama's was probably a stronger one overall.

The first coaches poll is out with 4 Big 12 teams in the top 25. OSU - 14th, Texas - 15th, OU - 16th, and TCU 20th. K State and Baylor also got votes.

22. Default Re: Official 2013 Big 12 Football Thread

K-Stat would be 26th and Baylor 29th.

Also Kendal Thompson fractured his foot today, so he's out of the starting race now.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    OU out recruits OSU pretty much every year.
    And Texas out recruits us all every year...

A commendable comment by TCU coach Gary Patterson about a recent decision by our beloved Les Miles at LSU.

TCU coach Gary Patterson not a fan of LSU voting on discipline - ESPN Dallas

Yeah, so Gary Patterson is just scared. And is he really wanting his name to be involved in a headline about discipline after the last two off-seasons he's endured??

Thread Information