Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Daylight Savings Time

Default Re: Daylight Savings Time

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    This horse**** is unnatural and needs to be done away with. It should just be the normal time the entire year. As stile said, just adapt.
    There's nothing "natural" about Standard Time. All of these numeric schemes are just made up. Man had to come up with some way to make sense of things with our Earth's rotation. This is an interesting read
    http://www.abc.net.au/science/articl...15/3364432.htm

I would much rather spring forward, and leave it alone. I have no problem with driving to work in the dark. ... I'm going to work. I would rather have that extra daylight in the evenings year round. Oklahoma has decent weather 9-10 months out of the year. A lot of people here do outdoor activities during the fall and winter months, and a little extra daylight in the evenings is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    I would much rather spring forward, and leave it alone. I have no problem with driving to work in the dark. ... I'm going to work. I would rather have that extra daylight in the evenings year round. Oklahoma has decent weather 9-10 months out of the year. A lot of people here do outdoor activities during the fall and winter months, and a little extra daylight in the evenings is nice.
    We must have different takes on weather, I'd say in general Oklahoma has maybe a month worth of decent weather. Other than that it's too hot, too cold, or too windy. The wind is what ruins it for me and makes what would otherwise be a decent day be crappy.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    That would be a permanent daylight savings time and just not falling back every fall. I think we would be better off in sacrificing the 1 hr in the summer. As opposed to going to work and school in the complete dark all during the winter and outdoor construction not starting till 8:30 or 9 in January. Northern states would definitely not want to do this. Russia tried this for a few years and abandoned it.

Edit: I just realized you were talking about getting rid of fall back and not DST.
    Commuting and facing the rising or setting sun would be less of a problem on full time DST.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    We must have different takes on weather, I'd say in general Oklahoma has maybe a month worth of decent weather. Other than that it's too hot, too cold, or too windy. The wind is what ruins it for me and makes what would otherwise be a decent day be crappy.
    I certainly understand where you're coming from. I guess coming from all my years of riding motorcycles & bicycles, and just generally wanting to be doing something outside rather than inside, that's where I would like to have more daylight in the evenings.

As compared to up north where folks are shut in from November to March, we do have plenty of good days. But yes, the heat does get to me more as get older.

6. Post Re: Daylight Savings Time

guys, Congress has to approve full-time DST or any other DST extensions. ... period. States can opt out of DST but they can't extend it.

Many of you are wishing for something that can't and wont be accomplished. By law, we can only wish for ending/opting out of DST altogether, or "perhaps" shortening it.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

7. Default Re: Daylight Savings Time

oh, and time zones were established by the rail roads, so that as trains departed from one area there would be consistency in time of day for major destinations; from the prospective of the sun. So, a 7am sun looks the same in NY as it does in Chicago, and so on.

Interesting, I've lived/visited countries (China in particular) who do not have time zones. China is also a large country but you hardly notice the difference in time until you get into the very far west, which has an unofficial Yuugar time zone; all of the rest of the country is based on how Beijing sees the sun with no change throughout the year. Again, I hardly noticed the difference being in the middle - Sichuan/Chongqing; for business still went in around 8am and off around 5pm regardless of the sun and still got things done nationwide. ...

Is it time to redact time zones too? or just DST?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

How about we all go to UTC, so that anywhere in the world the clocks will show the same time. That would make the sun rise here between 12 and 1 PM, the midnight would occur only a few hours after sundown, but we could get used to it. That would also do away with the International Date Line because everywhere would be on the same day, although moving the calendar in late afternoon might be a trifle confusing...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9696.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	244.2 KB 
ID:	14991 Don't forget to turn them back an hour in the fall.

Eat two dinners! Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    How about we all go to UTC, so that anywhere in the world the clocks will show the same time. That would make the sun rise here between 12 and 1 PM, the midnight would occur only a few hours after sundown, but we could get used to it. That would also do away with the International Date Line because everywhere would be on the same day, although moving the calendar in late afternoon might be a trifle confusing...
    I can't imagine our Navy not having a "Shellback" ceremony.

Just for the record we are going off DST this weekend and going back to Standard time.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Just for the record we are going off DST this weekend and going back to Standard time.
    The hero we needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    So . . . Is that Spring Forward and Fall Back? . . . Or Versa Vice? Inquiring Memes want to no.

Hopefully in February the legislature will keep us at standard time. The time changes are unnecessary.

Keep the time change set to an hour ahead all year and I'll be happier. Changing clocks and watches twice a year isn't my cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    Hopefully in February the legislature will keep us at standard time. The time changes are unnecessary.
    Yes, it would be so good to have the sun rising at ~ 5:15 a.m. and setting at ~ 7:45 p.m. all summer.

Nm

Since it is required to have Standard Time, can we run DST 364 days a year?

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    Since it is required to have Standard Time, can we run DST 364 days a year?
    No. If a state elects to be on DST, it must be for the same uniform period of time as others that use it.

You mean no once a year day where we move time back 4 hours? Call it state sleep in day?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    No. If a state elects to be on DST, it must be for the same uniform period of time as others that use it.
    /s

Kind of a tongue -in-cheek. I see how that would have been misleading.

Dark at five o'clock sux. Viva Daylight Savings Time. (yeah, right. as if.)

Article: Daylight Saving Time Ends — but No One Knows Why the US Is Doing It Anyway
    http://flip.it/sbxcFW

We are no longer an Agrarian Nation. We no longer need DST.

Thread Information