Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 99 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141560 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Rogers World Airport

Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I'm not questioning that they can afford it. I'm just wondering why more ramp space is needed.
    Like I've said they have been bidding on larger charter work. 737's and Airbuses aren't an unusual sight over there. With a growing local economy there is also bound to be more corporate jets flying in. Their ramp can be pretty crowded at times.

2. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Speaking of crowded the other day I saw two KC-10s and two KC-135s on the ARINC ramp. Looks like it's a busy place too!

You airport guys....this past March airport admin presented plans for the terminal/3 gate expansion and cargo relocation. Any news on this? I wasn't sure if it was officially approved or still needs some official action. Is there a known time frame for beginning work on the project? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DelCamino View Post
    You airport guys....this past March airport admin presented plans for the terminal/3 gate expansion and cargo relocation. Any news on this? I wasn't sure if it was officially approved or still needs some official action. Is there a known time frame for beginning work on the project? Thanks.
    Oklahoma City unveils plans for $70 million expansion at Will Rogers World Airport | News OK

Administrators are planning a $70 million project at Will Rogers World Airport to expand the terminal, improve security check-in procedures and add a concourse with three new gates.
    Six more gates eventually could be added to the new east concourse, bringing the airport’s total to 26, the city’s airports director, Mark Kranenburg, told the city council on Tuesday.
    “We need to move,” Kranenburg said. By starting now, he said, a larger terminal and three new gates could open by 2017.
    This is the current procedure.

WRWA > CURRENT PROJECTS

5. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

looks like the expansion will get us to 20 gates. Im shocked that they're only partially building out the east concourse, particularly the fact that the Customs arrival area is not included this go around. Why not build it all now, wouldn't it be cheaper and more efficient?

it is a shame they're not changing the escalator to go down. It looks like they will eliminate the east escalator yet have all arrivals go down the existing west one. BOTTLE NECK!!!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

6. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

my bad, it WILL have customs arrival hall on the lowest level of the new concourse and processing looks like as you head toward the new baggage claim. Nearly 9,000 square feet in total, not bad.

I assumed customs wouldn't be built until later as the rendering shows a very large jet in the final expansion area (not the current expansion) but the current expansion does show full customs as pax arrive then immediately go downstairs. cool.

7. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

It does seem odd that they would only had a few gates instead of just finish it out. The biggest thing is to get the cargo section demo'd, so it makes the future expansion easier to handle. So I can think of two things as reasons...and these aren't anything other than thoughts:
    1 - phase 1 costs quite a big because of the added demo and utility moves, so you can more evenly split up the expansion costs between different fiscal years or whatever. adding the larger portion of gates then is relatively easy because it's just addition of building without all the other stuff.
    2 - they don't want to expand too fast and leave it feeling empty with gates that are unused. We might have them all leased, but that's different from having them in use as far as the passenger's opinions go. While they might be generating revenue, if you've ever been to an airport with a lot of empty gates, you know how that impacts your view of the place. The more empty, the more you feel like people don't want to come to that city.

8. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

When does this project kick off?

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Also, according to Newsok's article (REAL ID law may complicate travel for Oklahoma driver's license holders | News OK), only NINE states are out of compliance... not half, and only 6 of those are out of compliance with the Driver's License for air travel portion.
    It's a matter of semantics. DHS says nine states are not compliant, but in that figure they're excluding states that aren't compliant but have filed for extensions. According to this slightly sketchy-looking website, only 21 states are REAL ID compliant. So it's true that over half (29) of the states are out of compliance.

Of the states that have filed for an extension, I believe six have passed laws that prohibit pursuing compliance with REAL ID. Fifteen states in total have prohibited REAL ID compliance. Twenty-five states have said they will not comply with REAL ID requirements (ACLU). REAL ID is opposed by a multitude of privacy-focused organizations, including ACLU. Rejection of REAL ID doesn't seem to be a fringe idea. And Oklahoma isn't stupid or short-sighted for it (looking at you, catch22). We're in good company.

Unless something changes in the states, chances are 1/1/2016 will come around and DHS will have delayed implementation of the TSA/air travel requirement again for the umpteenth time.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    When does this project kick off?
    Please see the second part of my post number 232. It's about starting the solicitation process.

11. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

The demand is not there right now to build all 8 or 9 new gates that the fully-built east concourse will have. They will be built as and when demand picks up. Many airports take this phase-wise approach, which is more prudent especially these days to account for unforseen events.

12. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

but isn't it more costly and impact to the operation to delay?

13. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    but isn't it more costly and impact to the operation to delay?
    The terminal design should keep impacts to a minimum when speaking about airline operations. That's better than having to have an area that needs to be climate controlled, powered, and more for no reason.

14. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by ethansisson View Post
    It's a matter of semantics. DHS says nine states are not compliant, but in that figure they're excluding states that aren't compliant but have filed for extensions. According to this slightly sketchy-looking website, only 21 states are REAL ID compliant. So it's true that over half (29) of the states are out of compliance.

Of the states that have filed for an extension, I believe six have passed laws that prohibit pursuing compliance with REAL ID. Fifteen states in total have prohibited REAL ID compliance. Twenty-five states have said they will not comply with REAL ID requirements (ACLU). REAL ID is opposed by a multitude of privacy-focused organizations, including ACLU. Rejection of REAL ID doesn't seem to be a fringe idea. And Oklahoma isn't stupid or short-sighted for it (looking at you, catch22). We're in good company.

Unless something changes in the states, chances are 1/1/2016 will come around and DHS will have delayed implementation of the TSA/air travel requirement again for the umpteenth time.
    Careful, the last time I pointed out these facts, I was told I was wrong and bashed. Although I still agree with you.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    The terminal design should keep impacts to a minimum when speaking about airline operations. That's better than having to have an area that needs to be climate controlled, powered, and more for no reason.
    Venture, I was reading an article yesterday about renovations coming to LGA. In the article, a consultant was quoted as saying to the effect of the new LGA should not offer anything for regional jets because regional jets are dying and will be gone within 20 years. When people talk about regional jets dying, does that include jets like the Embraer 170s and 190s? Or is it more focused on things like the CRJs? Where is the line drawn on what qualifies as a regional jet?

16. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingstein View Post
    Venture, I was reading an article yesterday about renovations coming to LGA. In the article, a consultant was quoted as saying to the effect of the new LGA should not offer anything for regional jets because regional jets are dying and will be gone within 20 years. When people talk about regional jets dying, does that include jets like the Embraer 170s and 190s? Or is it more focused on things like the CRJs? Where is the line drawn on what qualifies as a regional jet?
    I would say most of the focus is on 50-seats and smaller. Airlines are trying to park them and get rid of them as much as they can right now. Though if oil prices can keep falling, that might help to save them - and service in markets that need them. However, operating costs aren't much different - if not lower - when comparing to the 70+ seat models.

Adding $26,000 to the checked baggage system budget for a "more robust" barrier wall...due to the "narrowed tug routes".

I'm glad they just now realized making the tug routes inside the terminal building so narrow would cause issues.

Some of the equipment has already been damaged due to collisions with carts. It's just simply too tight of a space. This system they are building is a monster, the bagroom is barely big enough to hold it.

http://www.okc.gov/AgendaPub/view.as...fileid=2535358

This whole project is a waste of money. The original terminal expansions should have actually rebuilt the terminal building to modern infrastructure standards instead of just doing a facelift and building a new concourse.

18. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Can't do it the right way first, have to half arse it and go back 17 times to fix things and make the issue that much worse.

What is real nice is when you get approvals from everyone including the TSA and then part way through construction everyone decides the baggage system area needs to be expanded from the parameters those everyone involved in the system gave you after the lower levels, foundations and steel has been built. That is what are are in the middle of in the new terminal building at Minot.

Are there any plans to fix the horrible signage in the tunnel? To make the tunnel a more inviting space? To fix the elevator call lights which hardly ever work? To make the elevator seem more like it belongs in an airport and less like in a factory?

There is a signage update that is about to redo all signs in and around the airport.

They are adding some aesthetic features to the tunnel including a video wall.

Which elevator seems like a freight elevator? The only one I can think of is by the east checkpoint. It IS a freight elevator to get items up to the second floor for the food vendors,.

23. Default Re: Will Rogers World Airport

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    There is a signage update that is about to redo all signs in and around the airport.

They are adding some aesthetic features to the tunnel including a video wall.

Which elevator seems like a freight elevator? The only one I can think of is by the east checkpoint. It IS a freight elevator to get items up to the second floor for the food vendors,.
    The parking garage elevators definitely feel like freight elevators.

Blog Entries

I'm not saying the elevators are the most aesthetically pleasing, but in my personal experience living in high rises the last almost 8 years, they are better than the freight elevators I've been dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    Are there any plans to fix the horrible signage in the tunnel? To make the tunnel a more inviting space? To fix the elevator call lights which hardly ever work? To make the elevator seem more like it belongs in an airport and less like in a factory?
    Here is the update catch22 was talking about:

http://www.okctalk.com/transportatio...l-project.html

Thread Information