Widgets Magazine

Thread: Blake the Fake...?

Default Blake the Fake...?

After seeing Blake play in person for the first time last night, I am sooo not drinking the kool-aid!

Yes he is a beast. Stands maybe 6'9 or just a bit under (was at least an inch shorter than Durant and did not measure up to Jeff Green either) but plays as big as a power forward should. Ok well he dunks like he is their size, anyway.

And he can pass the ball. Especially when he is about to have his skull cracked trying to bang his way to the rim with half the other team pouncing to prevent a 'poster shot'

What he can't do is shoot. Or play defense. Sure he might get off a big block from time to time, dude can leap over a car! But when you watch the moments NOT featured on sports center, Blake Griffin looks more like a spoiled brat who hasn't been spanked in way tooo long.

He whines to the refs even after gettin the foul call, leans/shoves into players desperately trying to recover enough to make a basket, calls for the point guard to pass him the ball well before they cross half court, and trades off guarding players with any offensive game.

I have heard sports animal guys say Blake has a chance to become the best power forward ever to play in the NBA. After seeing the raw, over-hyped phenom play in person... I am not convinced he is the best player on his team. Bledsoe has great moves, and plays defense, and a very good jumper. If he gets a decent 3-point shot, and can guard some of the bigger PG's down the stretch, he will be a much better player to build around than Blake.

The comparison Blake Griffin brings to mind to me is Shaq. A player that was more powerful and athletic than the other players at his position, and one who was willing to bang his body around night after night even though he knew the free throws would rattle and bounce instead of swish. Shaq could rebound, block shots, and dunk. But when his legs got old, and the refs stopped blowing their whistles every time he flopped or begged, he hurt his teams alot more than helped.

If I am in the Clips front office the clock is ticking. The next 'Decision' special on ESPN will be after the 2013 season when Blake looks to take his talents to...

anywhere but OKC. Puh-leeez!~!!

Default Re: Blake the Fake...?

Uhhhh..... NO The Blake show is The real deal!No doubt about it!

Ummm, Bigg, I'm an OSU fan, and I think your full of it, SERIOUSLY?!? If he wasn't a great shooter, he wouldn't be playing at this level. You have to remember that he was a man amongst boys at the college level. The talent he plays with now is equal or greater due to the longevity of the average player in the NBA. College you get 4 years--5 MAX. He's just starting. You can't compare him to playing against guys that have played in the league for 4-7 years longer than he has AND in 7 years when he's playing somewhere else, you'll wish we had signed him out of free agency because he'll be that much better!

Shooting will only get better...And when it does he will be essentially unstoppable when the big guys have to respect his outside shot

I agree somewhat. He is a bit of a whiner and right now uses his athleticism and tenacity to score. How many times last night did he jump up and spin and either hope to score or get fouled? It was quite a bit. He's obvisouly very talented but his shooting will have to get better, cant make much beyond 15 ft, free throws included. He's also going to have to avoid injuries. If he does those things he will be a superstar.

Hey, he's got to be great, he made Capel look like a competent coach.....

Possibly you're generalizing from a small example. He looks like a reasonably good shooter HERE

he should be a senior in college right now and he missed a whole year - his shot has improved a lot since he played 2 years ago so I think he will be fine

guy works as hard at getting better as anyone possibly can

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Silliman View Post
    Possibly you're generalizing from a small example. He looks like a reasonably good shooter HERE
    We are generalizing that he's not a good shooter meanwhile you show a highlight film showing otherwise. Generalize much? He's a 62% FT shooter and he is shooting 51% from the floor, which is not that good for his position and being one of the league leaders in dunks. If it's outside 5 ft chances are hes not making it. Just like Amare Staudamire when he entered the league. Shooting is his only weakness so far but I'm quite sure it'll improve over time.

The Clippers are 21-37 and have lost 8 of their last 10. They are getting worse, not better. Blake is the best player on a bad team. Big deal. Maybe someday he will be the best player on a good team but that day is not today. He better start shooting better than 61% from the freethrow line as well.

Blakes the real deal, he goes to my church, lifechurch.tv NW campus when he's in town

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    The Clippers are 21-37 and have lost 8 of their last 10. They are getting worse, not better. Blake is the best player on a bad team. Big deal. Maybe someday he will be the best player on a good team but that day is not today. He better start shooting better than 61% from the freethrow line as well.
    ^^smoking something?

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    We are generalizing that he's not a good shooter meanwhile you show a highlight film showing otherwise. Generalize much? He's a 62% FT shooter and he is shooting 51% from the floor, which is not that good for his position and being one of the league leaders in dunks. If it's outside 5 ft chances are hes not making it. Just like Amare Staudamire when he entered the league. Shooting is his only weakness so far but I'm quite sure it'll improve over time.
    My video wasn't sent to represent a typical outing, just that you can't judge only from the recent Thunder game.

Everyone considers Dirk a good shooter yet Blake's FGP is only 1/2% less than Dirk's. Blake's 3 pt FGP is better than Dirk's. I happen to think Blake is logging too many minutes (he's top 4 in minutes as well as rebounding). He was shooting at a better effectiveness on both FG and FTs when Kaman was healthy, leaving Blake with a little rest.

His free throw percentage ought to improve. Dwight Howard's is better yet Blake looks to have better form.

This thread is stupid!but yet I have the urge to post comments?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Blakes the real deal, he goes to my church, lifechurch.tv NW campus when he's in town
    So that makes him the real deal on the court how?

Quote Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
    ^^smoking something?
    Kerry pointed out the obvious, Blake is very good but on a bad team, how is he smoking something?

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Silliman View Post
    My video wasn't sent to represent a typical outing, just that you can't judge only from the recent Thunder game.

Everyone considers Dirk a good shooter yet Blake's FGP is only 1/2% less than Dirk's. Blake's 3 pt FGP is better than Dirk's. I happen to think Blake is logging too many minutes (he's top 4 in minutes as well as rebounding). He was shooting at a better effectiveness on both FG and FTs when Kaman was healthy, leaving Blake with a little rest.

His free throw percentage ought to improve. Dwight Howard's is better yet Blake looks to have better form.
    Shooters never have as good as FG% as big men. Dirk is mostly taking outside shots, Blake is getting dunks and put backs. Centers and PF dominate the top of the FG% lists. Blake is a really good player but good shooter he is not. However, if he gets that 18ft jumper, watch out.

^^Because Kerry said about Blake "BIG DEAL" well The Blake Show is a BIG DEAL! Roll it up and smoke another,you included onthesrtip!If it's obvious then there is NO need to state it?Right?

He in his first year(tech. his 2nd) is allready a stud and averaging a double-double and leads The NBA in electryfying dunks!KD in his second year played on a BAD team and look where The Thunder are at now,so whats your point Kerry?Jesus ofcourse he plays on a crappy team he was just drafted two years ago as The #1 pick,and good teams dont get that #1 pick,so thank You Captain Obvious!Give credit where it is due and stop being haters!23 pts/gm and 13 reb/gm in his first year but since he's on a bad team it's NO BIG DEAL????????????????

My point is - it is his first year. Why don't you wait a little bit before claiming he is 'the real deal'. You sound like Dick Vitale. Do have any idea how many 'real deals' don't even see 3 NBA seasons? What is Blakes FG percentage if you take away the dunks?

My point is - it is his first year. Why don't you wait a little bit before claiming he is 'the real deal'. You sound like Dick Vitale. Do have any idea how many 'real deals' don't even see 3 NBA seasons? What is Blakes FG percentage if you take away the dunks?
    I guess that's a legit question. Kevin Durant has a lot of dunks, also, but plays further out. It's legit to compare other power forwards averaging 20 or more with Blake. But I'll pull out the abacus and slide a few wooden donuts around, then get back.

^^Yea this is a fair enough question,I guess time will tell if Blake fits your mold of a real deal player and as far as only dunking he is a real POWER foward!

Have you seen Blake play? I don't mean the highlight dunks, but watched him in person? He is VERY raw, not a good shooter at all, and no I do not think there will ever be a time that I want him wearing a Thunder jersey.

Where? I see some dunks, layups, one good jumper and a bunch of rattle in chunks. Yes he is a better shooter than Shaq, but all of the other issues I have from watching an entire game in addition to parts and highlights from other games.... tell me he has a long long way to go.

Thread Information