Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Monkeypox declared Health Emergency

1. Default Re: Monkeypox declared Health Emergency

Quote Originally Posted by Scott5114 View Post
    Just because a disease isn't deadly doesn't mean it doesn't have a big impact on quality of life. I doubt most people would want to be laid up for the four weeks this disease can take to pass. Most people couldn't afford to miss that much work.
    I agree. No one wants to catch any nasty disease. But I don't get the problem with Monkeypox spreading. With COVID you can be sitting near someone at a bar, restaurant, concert, etc. and have no idea they're breathing virus into the air that you can breathe in. MPox is spreading by touching someone that has open sores. So avoid anyone with open sores. I know sometimes my overly logical engineering oriented mind makes things too cut and dried but this seems simple to me. And I would avoid me. I have something that produces sores on my arms that umpteen dermatologists haven't been able to diagnose or cure. I would stay clear of me unless you know me and know that I've had these for many years.

Default Re: Monkeypox declared Health Emergency

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Now now now blue. There maybe be 0 deaths now bit it has been declared an emergency and by october or November it could turn into a big thing where the public will not fill comfortable standing in line next to someone else until they get thier shot.

....what?

And a disease doesn't have to be deadly to be a public health hazard. Monkeypox can cause vision less, pneumonia, sepsis and other serious health effects. Also, the more it spreads the more it has a chance to mutate into something even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    ....what?

And a disease doesn't have to be deadly to be a public health hazard. Monkeypox can cause vision less, pneumonia, sepsis and other serious health effects. Also, the more it spreads the more it has a chance to mutate into something even worse.
    Yes like I said, the situation could change to a point that people will not want to stand in close proximity this November. It could be this disease or something else entirely.

The only thing I can predict the 100% certainty is there will be an expert or five that will be there to tell the public what to make of the current health emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I agree. No one wants to catch any nasty disease. But I don't get the problem with Monkeypox spreading. With COVID you can be sitting near someone at a bar, restaurant, concert, etc. and have no idea they're breathing virus into the air that you can breathe in. MPox is spreading by touching someone that has open sores. So avoid anyone with open sores. I know sometimes my overly logical engineering oriented mind makes things too cut and dried but this seems simple to me. And I would avoid me. I have something that produces sores on my arms that umpteen dermatologists haven't been able to diagnose or cure. I would stay clear of me unless you know me and know that I've had these for many years.
    From what it sounds like, compared to prior monkeypox outbreaks the sores in this may be more limited in extent, or may be as few as one and can mimic other lesion-producing conditions. The 1-3 week incubation period doesn't help either, nor does the fact that lesions may come at a different time than other symptoms. Either way, I highly doubt this many people are just willfully ignoring open wounds on their sexual partners....

I guess the question I have is. Has other diseases in the United States every been declared a national emergency? Flu? hepatitis?

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    I guess the question I have is. Has other diseases in the United States every been declared a national emergency? Flu? hepatitis?
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4151908/

Its pretty easy BDP, if you have a rash just tell your friends, 'I am sorry I can't go out to the club with you today. I have a strange rash and I need to see a doctor.'
    Exactly. It's good that that information is making it out there, right? Good on those working their ass off to put that info our there. It's working, yeah!

We just have to hope that people heed it and care about people other than themselves, at least a little, and make those changes.

But that's, unfortunately, a big ask these days. It shouldn't be like COVID because it doesn't spread as easily or the same way, or just the fact that it's a totally different disease,

I am sure all the proud Oklahomans in Oklahoma City will do what is required to stop the spread of the disease.
    Haha. Disease don't know nothing 'bout pride and it especially doesn't give a **** where you from.

But, yeah, you're gonna be okay. It's mostly spread by very close contact, so I'm pretty sure you're gonna be okay.

No reason to hate on those that do experience close contact, though, or those that are just trying to let people with a rash know, that maybe you shouldn't have close contact with anyone.

They are adults and will act like adults.
    [

Let's hope so!!

I also believe in second chances.

Well there first case of Monkeypox was June 10th in Oklahoma. Today on Aug 4th we just confirmed our 11th case. So not sure I'm too worried about it. JS Could it get worse sure but so could a lot of other things.

Until it hits the numbers of the annual OKCMOA attendance, I won't be worried.

Well there first case of Monkeypox was June 10th in Oklahoma. Today on Aug 4th we just confirmed our 11th case. So not sure I'm too worried about it. JS Could it get worse sure but so could a lot of other things.
    You definitely shouldn't be worried about it affecting you or your family right now. That would be silly.

That's exactly what the WHO and CDC are working on: keeping you from being worried about it.

Sleep well and I guess just hope that we don't have to deal with those "other things".

Opioid use disorder has been declared a public health emergency in the US by the HHS secretary since 2017. If you go to the main HHS page you can find all current national declarations. The Covid declaration has been extended to October 15. The opioid declaration appears to be on a longer frequency of six months instead of three like Covid. It has implications for access to care in all cases.

The answer to your question(s) is (are):

1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) Yes

The next question would naturally be, "were you born yesterday!?"

But I'm just gonna assume you have somewhere else to be.

I don't believe hepatitis has ever been officially declared at the national level, however cities, like Philly, have declared public health emergencies for hepatitis.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    The answer to your question(s) is (are):

1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) Yes

The next question would naturally be, "were you born yesterday!?"

But I'm just gonna assume you have somewhere else to be.
    https://www.phe.gov/emergency/news/h...s/default.aspx H1N1, Zika, Opioid, Covid are the only ones I see other than weather. So is this going to be a new trend? There are like 30 states with less than 100 cases. Hepatitis, Mono, Herps, chickenpox are they going to be next?

It seems like we could flatten the curve by abstaining from high risk activities for 2 weeks.

It seems like we could flatten the curve by abstaining from high risk activities for 2 weeks.
    Meh by the end of the week we will have moved on to Polio. JS. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/polio-v...th-department/

The curve is already flattening: https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/...gRufihOrwhw_xg

Meh by the end of the week we will have moved on to Polio. JS. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/polio-v...th-department/
    Unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    This is excellent news. I hope the trend continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Unreal.
    https://www.contagionlive.com/view/l...-eastern-china 2 soon?

During Covid is there were reports I animals tests positive. Has there been any reports of the virus going from humans onto the animal population with monkey pox?

During Covid is there were reports I animals tests positive. Has there been any reports of the virus going from humans onto the animal population with monkey pox?
    https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...-transmission/

Why did I hear banjos when I clicked that link?

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Why did I hear banjos when I clicked that link?
    It’s okay!

Smallpox? Spanish flu? Polio? I understand that public schools leave a lot to be desired where it comes to basic U.S. history, but maybe run a search before asking a question like that? Maybe pick up a book or two on your own? I shouldn’t be surprised. You see those man on the street interviews where folks can’t identify who fought in the civil war. Par for thé course.

Thread Information