Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - February 2019

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - February 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Heaviest wave of precipitation is done for C OK. We will see some backside redevelopment of wrap-around showers and freezing drizzle heading into the evening. Elevated surfaces and bridges will be the things to watch.

Once it passes will roads dry up overnight? Or will morning be tricky roads?

Models tonight are increasing precipitation rates. We could see very heavy freezing rain and sleet here in C OK just before lunchtime. As mentioned earlier, this will likely be one big heavy wave of precipitation, then majority of it should move on out as the storm is going to be flying to the north. We will still likely have some wrap-around snow showers and flurries heading into the evening hours.

Models are really bad at forecasting sleet, so some of these graphs below are way overestimated, but these will give an idea of the areas where heaviest precipitation is expected.

For the record I saw heavy freezing rain as ice storm. 15 minutes of heavy freezing rain is all it takes.

I do not blame this poster but for some reason posters here are attacked for everything. I said we averted an ice storm and instant poster attack mode.

Posters need to loosen up here. Read my last 2 posts this thread, was a matter of speech and hound dogs attacked. Some here are “never wrong’ and looking for fights. Chill out people.

That is my post. I wasn’t attacking you. Just clarifying that nothing was dodged. The forecast was correct on this storm from the very beginning. I posted on the 14th of February that next Tuesday (today) there would be a chance of winter precipitation and it did not appear significant. I mentioned several times here that there would be one major wave of heavy precipitation and then drizzle afterward. That is what we got. Sorry my post earlier wasn’t clear enough, i will remember next time to be more thorough with details. Again, this post is not in anyway written sarcastic or angry as an attack. I appreciate the feedback.

February 14:
    The cold air is delayed to tonight. So yes, we will likely see temperatures in the low 70s. Then the cold air blasts through at nightfall and OKC will barely get over freezing for Friday and Saturday. Sunday we will recover slightly before getting another reinforcement heading into next week. Chance of some precipitation still showing up Tuesday into Wednesday, right now it does not look significant.

Maybe he means me, but I don't see how a reasonable person could see it as anything other than an attack on Mike Morgan. Other than as noted, differing definition of relevant terms.

To answer the question on the table, the ground isn't frozen solid but neither is it that warm. One would be wise to assume there will be slick spots.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Quoting just because it bears repeating. At no point did I see anything resembling an icestorm in the forecast for the metro area. They were pretty clear it would be a mix, which is precisely what is falling in Mustang right now. Mostly freezing rain, but you can see some snow in the air. Ice was consistently in the forecast for far north Oklahoma, but not the metro. Even Morgan has been saying the problem is going to be the drive home in the afternoon, and that's the reason all the schools closed. Because of the illusion this morning that it would be good would collapse about the time school would be getting out. If Mike Morgan isn't drooling about doom and gloom, then saying we averted anything more sinister than falling down while getting the mail is a bit of a stretch.
    Wow,

This was my post just an observation with nothing intended other than to say no ice storm which is great. Then the attack posters insinuate I said they said we would have an ice storm. Overeaction to my casual post. I was simply happy we did not have one knowing weather can be tricky this time of year.

Here is what I posted get over yourself:

“I know these are tricky it seems so far we averted a big ice storm. Might still happen and even overnight if moisture before dry spell. But it appears we dodged this one which is fine by me”

Maybe he means me, but I don't see how a reasonable person could see it as anything other than an attack on Mike Morgan. Other than as noted, differing definition of relevant terms.

To answer the question on the table, the ground isn't frozen solid but neither is it that warm. One would be wise to assume there will be slick spots.
    All i know is that i work at Tinker and we got another day off even though in MWC the roads are fine so i am happy they thought it was going to be bad enough to close the base......smh

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    Wow,

This was my post just an observation with nothing intended other than to say no ice storm which is great. Then the attack posters insinuate I said they said we would have an ice storm. Overeaction to my casual post. I was simply happy we did not have one knowing weather can be tricky this time of year.

“I know these are tricky it seems so far we averted a big ice storm. Might still happen and even overnight if moisture before dry spell. But it appears we dodged this one which is fine by me”
    I do hope you get the help you need. Is your blood sugar low? Are you bored and trying to pick a fight? I don't think anyone's interested, but thanks. Take your attacks while claiming there are attacks on you elsewhere. Cheers.

It's still a mix of sleet and drizzle in Mustang. The School has not been closed for tomorrow, but I'm sure they are waiting on overnight precip. The amount of Cars parked on Neighborhood Streets is ridiculous. I don't blame them for not wanting to send a Bus down them.

I do hope you get the help you need. Is your blood sugar low? Are you bored and trying to pick a fight? I don't think anyone's interested, but thanks. Take your attacks while claiming there are attacks on you elsewhere. Cheers.
    ???

Temperatures rebounding nicely ahead of the next storm. Which is right on the doorstep. It looks like most impacts at this time will be felt across KS. Any major impacts to the main body of OK will be dependent on a dramatic shift in track that is more E to W as opposed to S to N.

So the result will very likely be light rain chances Friday afternoon into Saturday afternoon. Saturday will also be particularly windy.

11. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - February 2019

Wow,

It's like trying to post in the political forums........

Does anybody have any prediction for when we might see a pattern shift away from this wet, cold rut we've been stuck in since what seems like November? Looking at the next 10 days it looks like things will remain well below normal, with the warmest days barely making it to the seasonal averages. Most days will average 10-20 degrees below normal if not colder.

OKC winters typically have plenty of days in the 60s and 70s but we've not really seen that this year. This winter reminds me a lot of my early childhood living in north central Missouri.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Does anybody have any prediction for when we might see a pattern shift away from this wet, cold rut we've been stuck in since what seems like November? Looking at the next 10 days it looks like things will remain well below normal, with the warmest days barely making it to the seasonal averages. Most days will average 10-20 degrees below normal if not colder.

OKC winters typically have plenty of days in the 60s and 70s but we've not really seen that this year. This winter reminds me a lot of my early childhood living in north central Missouri.
    I'm with you. this winter sucks and is slowly dragging into Spring

Light rain and maybe a rumble of thunder still on tap for late tonight (midnight+). This will be a line or wave of rain coming in from the southwest. After that Saturday will be pretty miserable with highs in the low 50s, but a very strong NW wind on the backside of the low.

Sunday through Tuesday will be less wind, with highs in the 50s. Some more cold air tries to come down for Wednesday next week, possibly some light moisture accompanying it. After that, it looks like the following weekend we get some more cold air and potential winter precipitation. But obviously that is very far out and things will change a lot.

A few quick moving showers coming through OKC now.

Check out this live wind map. Works great on iphone I assume it works on other platforms:

http://hint.fm/wind/

Quote Originally Posted by brian72 View Post
    This winter sucks and is slowly dragging into Spring
    Might as well count our blessings that it hasn't been worse from no big ice or snow storms in central Oklahoma. No record lows.

Check out this live wind map. Works great on iphone I assume it works on other platforms:

http://hint.fm/wind/
    I like it! Here's another pretty cool wind visualization site.

https://www.ventusky.com/

Maybe doesn't exactly fit here but not sure where to place and not worthy of own thread. I drove to weatherford yesterday and all of the windmills were non operational. Do they shut down if the wind gets to high?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Maybe doesn't exactly fit here but not sure where to place and not worthy of own thread. I drove to weatherford yesterday and all of the windmills were non operational. Do they shut down if the wind gets to high?
    Short answer is yes. If you wanna geek out here is a link showing all kinds of info about wind loads and havic they can cause:

https://www.windpowerengineering.com...e-drivetrains/

Short answer is yes. If you wanna geek out here is a link showing all kinds of info about wind loads and havic they can cause:

https://www.windpowerengineering.com...e-drivetrains/
    Interesting read and learned something new today Thanks

According to NOAA we have some cold/wet weather coming over next week. Chance are still low but the temps are gonna be cold:

Tuesday Night
    A slight chance of drizzle after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 37. Northeast wind 5 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Wednesday
    A chance of drizzle or freezing drizzle, mainly before noon. Cloudy, with a high near 37. North wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph.

Wednesday Night
    A slight chance of freezing drizzle before midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 24. North wind 9 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Thursday
    Partly sunny, with a high near 44.

Thursday Night
    Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31.

Friday
    Mostly sunny, with a high near 57.

Friday Night
    Partly cloudy, with a low around 26.

Saturday
    Partly sunny, with a high near 33.

Saturday Night
    A 20 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21.

Sunday
    A 20 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 29.

Sunday Night
    A 30 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 18.

Monday
    A 20 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 32.

Cold front teetering back and forth just NW of the I-44 corridor currently. We Should see it gain some momentum after lunchtime today and push through OKC, dropping temperatures into the 30s.

Then we will likely see fog and drizzle develop along and behind the front, some of it freezing obviously where it is 32F and below. The best chance for freezing drizzle in OKC is Wednesday night.

What about next Mon/Tue it seems we have a chance of snow and temps nkt avove freezing for 2-3 days.

Blog Entries

Interesting little front! NW OKC dropped fast. I see that El Reno is 21 degrees and Shawnee is 50.

Thread Information