Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: R.i.p.

Uncle Slayton Guest

Default Re: R.i.p.

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    I know it's not OKC, but Norman Iron Starr closed. It's really too bad because it was a great building that went well with In the Raw...
    YGBSM!? I always intended to get by there, it looked interesting. Oh well. Ray's is about two blocks away and still selling the best sandwich in barbecue (TM).

Uncle Slayton Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    There are plenty of mediocre Mexican restaurants here like Chuy's, I have yet to find an "exceptional" Mexican restaurant here, just some good ones. Not many that I consider "import worthy". Like any food item, it is personal, I like Tex-Mex, not interior Mexican food, I grew up on Tex-Mex and most of the interior food even at some of the "the places in Austin" that I have tried I just don't like. I know people who love Polvo's, I can't stand the place and know a few others who feel the same.
    Feel free to flame away, everyone, but I really wish they'd open up an Uncle Julio's here in town. They have several in TX and a couple in IL, MD and VA. I happened by there while attending a conference in Dallas last year and really liked the food. The sangria swirl ain't a bad incentive either...

I ate at Uncle Julio's some when I lived in Dallas (Lemmon location) and it was good, not great but that was almost twenty years ago. It was the first place that I had a swirl.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    Adobe Grill - 50th & Shartel. Has this been posted before? I was going to bring tamales to a party tonight.
    May be thinking of another place, but thought I read a couple of weeks ago (either in the Oklahoman or Gazette) that they had a name change but still in business (same owners, menu etc)???

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    May be thinking of another place, but thought I read a couple of weeks ago (either in the Oklahoman or Gazette) that they had a name change but still in business (same owners, menu etc)???
    It took a little effort to find Adobe'sphone number, but when I called it, a recorded announcement played, giving me options to be transferred to nearby restaurants. "Press 1 for ___, press 2 for ___..." I was surprised, and have two assumptions: 1) Adobe didn't pay the phone bill, otherwise the OGM would mention something about Adobe and/or their successor; and 2) the phone company is getting entrepreneurial when the bill isn't paid, and trying to make some money by referrals. Again, only assumptions.
    Last edited by OKCTalker; 02-07-2011 at 08:02 AM. Reason: clarification

Adobe Grill, 5120 N Shartel Ave., is now Felipa's Comida Casera. Owner Mario Hernandez made the switch back in December, and will now offer a simple menu with no entrees priced more than $10.

Read more: http://newsok.com/food-briefs/articl...#ixzz1DHs2sMyR

flintysooner: thanks for the link

OKCtalker: could the number you got have been for another Adobe rest? Or maybe the number was correct, the switch didn't work and they have since gone out of business?

Couldn't find the link but in Wed's Oklahoman, there was a story that all 46 Ultimate Electronics stores will be closing. If approved by the bankruptcy court, the liquidation closings could begin as early as THIS WEEK. They have 2 stores in the Metro (Memorial and SW 74th) and one in Tulsa.

Couldn't find the link but in Wed's Oklahoman, there was a story that all 46 Ultimate Electronics stores will be closing. If approved by the bankruptcy court, the liquidation closings could begin as early as THIS WEEK. They have 2 stores in the Metro (Memorial and SW 74th) and one in Tulsa.
    here is a link
    http://www.bizjournals.com/twincitie...-sell-off.html

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Didn't know about that. Always wondered how they stayed in business in such an off the beaten path location.
    Shartel Cafe, right next door to the former Adobe Grill seems to be doing quite well. When you have good food, good prices, and good management/service, you can stay in business almost anywhere you're located, and Shartel Cafe seems to have figured out the magic formula.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I saw the sign was different, but thought it might be left over from the tenants that were there before the Cellar. Be nice if a Cellar-like store opened back up there. I work around there, so I'll keep watching it.
    So it looks like The Cellar as a business entity might be gone, but some of their stores are staying open (or re-opening) as liquor stores, just named differently and possibly owned by different people. The NW Expressway store did open back up as Sam's (I think that was the name), the Britton/May store is Grand Cru, and the 33rd/Boulevard (Edmond) store is Blvd.

Bacchus on NW 174th or so and May closed a couple of weeks ago. I think they might have owned more than one store, so some of them are closing due to the liquor laws. Not totally sure if that's the case, but it's what I heard from one of the new owners of one of the old Cellar stores.

Also, pretty sure Winston MacDougal's (sp?) on NW 122nd and May is gone - the strip center's sign now says "Fully equipped deli for lease"

13. Default Re: R.i.p.

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    This thread is like the Oklahoma Senate. A strange mixture of homo-eroticism and right-wing propaganda.
    This is the most awesome post on OKC Talk - EVER.

City Bites on NW Expressway is now closed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    City Bites on NW Expressway is now closed.
    Think there was another thread specifically about problems observed at City Bites, so that closure doesn't surprise me. Sad how some once-hallmark names in OKC food have, or are in the process of, going by the boards

What do you think will take City Bites place?

Quizno's at NW 63 & May has closed.

Quote Originally Posted by etsuco05 View Post
    Quizno's at NW 63 & May has closed.
    Had I taken a bet on which chain's store(s) would have gone kaput first between CB and Quizno's, I'd have picked the latter every time. The Quizno's on SW 104th has been closed (at least) twice, it was nasty inside, and my wife got food poisoning there. That was our last visit. We just lost interest in City Bites, and the one time we visited in the last couple of years, it just wasn't very good.

BMW Motorcycle of Oklahoma City/Ducati Oklahoma has closed. From their website, it looks like the closure happened at the beginning of December 2011. I imagine it is a difficult job to sell expensive motorcycles during a recession.

Quote Originally Posted by Tapp Development View Post
    Could be anything at this point. It's a standalone building that's specifically built inside for a restaurant, not sure if they're leaving the kitchen intact or just gutting the building. If they leave the kitchen, another restaurant possibly, but if they don't, could be a tanning parlor next. :-) Might just sit empty for a while, that wouldn't surprise me, there's a *huge* amount of empty buildings and storefronts in strip malls (and entire strip malls) here in OKC.

Quizno's "jumped the shark" way back when they stopped running those Strange and Wacky Creature ads not long after their arrival in OKC. The ads "made" me eat at Quizno's . . . twice. A long, long time ago.

Is a new BMW motorcycle much more expensive than a new Harley?
    I had a brand new BMW R-75/5 back in 1971. I almost bought a Moto-Guzzi instead.
    Glad I didn't. Rode the BMW for about three years--then rode an old Panhead. Sold the BMW for 25% more than I paid for it (25% more = $500). Used the money to buy a Sportster (mistake). Sold the Sportster and bought a '65 '74. =)

A friend of mine's second bike was a Ducati. (He also had a BMW R-50).
    Set up for "cafe racing"... The Ducati. Not the BMW. He added a sidecar to that one.
    How nerdy was that? =)

I just noticed today that Catfish Cabin at 63rd and Meridian has gone out of business. I'm not sure when it happened but I pass by there every day and this is the first time I noticed it. They've been there for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tapp Development View Post
    Pawn Shop.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I just noticed today that Catfish Cabin at 63rd and Meridian has gone out of business. I'm not sure when it happened but I pass by there every day and this is the first time I noticed it. They've been there for many years.
    This isn't the first time it has shut down. The original Catfish Cabin at that location was actually in a building to the south of the most recent one. It folded and they were gone for quite a while, then re-opened under different management at the corner. Last time I was there it was noticeably going down hill...

There also used to be a Catfish Cabin in MWC at 10th and Douglas. It was an "all you can eat" buffet. I knew two brothers who went in and ate fried shrimp for hours, until they were run off and barred for life. (Which turned out to be only a few months because the place closed its doors).

As far as the one under discussion here goes, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did: Everything was greasy and tasted the same.

Thread Information