Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Movie theaters.

Default Re: Movie theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimbo View Post
    I agree that the Criterion was the classiest theater in town, but the Continental was by far the most modern for its time, with reclining seats (they actually just leaned back a little) and the big screen. The building is still there although it hasn't been a theater for a long time.
    I agree, the Continental was "state of the art" at the time it was built.

Anyone remember the University Theater in Norman...right by Jack's Five and Ten way back in the day...?

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkross View Post
    Anyone remember the University Theater in Norman...right by Jack's Five and Ten way back in the day...?
    I went there a few times but it wasn't on my normal theater circuit even though I grew up in Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I went there a few times but it wasn't on my normal theater circuit even though I grew up in Norman.
    I went all the time--they always had two atomic radiation mutant movies every Saturday...saw them all and sat on the front row with all the die-hards...it was a marvelous place with **zero** adults in the theater...

Unfortunately I think they finally tore down the Continental. There's still one left in Denver. The original theater has been preserved inside a megaplex.

I agree, the Continental was "state of the art" at the time it was built.
    Most amazing thing I saw there was 2001 (not during its original run, some re-issue of it), can't remember what year, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson8 View Post
    Unfortunately I think they finally tore down the Continental. There's still one left in Denver. The original theater has been preserved inside a megaplex.
    The Continental was a GREAT theater...saw "Yellow Submarine" there--first run...great snack bar too...

I went all the time--they always had two atomic radiation mutant movies every Saturday...saw them all and sat on the front row with all the die-hards...it was a marvelous place with **zero** adults in the theater...

There were not many choices in Norman in those days...(I am talking 1950's here, when Norman had 25,000 folks)

There were not many choices in Norman in those days...(I am talking 1950's here, when Norman had 25,000 folks)
    I agree there weren't many options in Norman then and that's one of the reasons that most of my movie going was in OKC even though I grew up there and didn't leave until after I started school at OU. Most of my parents' friends and relatives were in OKC so that's where we went most weekends. The theater situation improved a little when I was in college in the late 60's so I didn't have to leave town quite so much. Besides the Boomer there was a twin theater I could walk to from my fraternity house in the small shopping area just on the SW side of the campus.

I agree there weren't many options in Norman then and that's one of the reasons that most of my movie going was in OKC even though I grew up there and didn't leave until after I started school at OU. Most of my parents' friends and relatives were in OKC so that's where we went most weekends. The theater situation improved a little when I was in college in the late 60's so I didn't have to leave town quite so much. Besides the Boomer there was a twin theater I could walk to from my fraternity house in the small shopping area just on the SW side of the campus.
    You must remember the Berkowitz's...Wendy and her husband--and their Campus Corner antics...and the Gothic horror of a soda at Liberty Drug...you must have been a regular at the miniature golf course in that area as well...Heisman was the theaters (itty-bitty theaters with roll-up screens on a easel)...right?

You must remember the Berkowitz's...Wendy
    I remember a Wendy Berlowitz (I think) who was a grad assistant in the English department when I was in school at OU. One day she decided to read a poem to her class that I think she authored but I could have that part wrong. Apparently she felt the recitation would be more effective if she performed in the nude.

It pretty much made a significant impression on quite a few people as I recall.

Seems like she had a husband or boyfriend or something who was also rather unique and maybe a father or father-in-law or something that was a professor. But I no longer remember the details.

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    I remember a Wendy Berlowitz (I think) who was a grad assistant in the English department when I was in school at OU. One day she decided to read a poem to her class that I think she authored but I could have that part wrong. Apparently she felt the recitation would be more effective if she performed in the nude.

It pretty much made a significant impression on quite a few people as I recall.

Seems like she had a husband or boyfriend or something who was also rather unique and maybe a father or father-in-law or something that was a professor. But I no longer remember the details.
    Her husband was an acid-head back then--I think he either taught or did "research" (hysterical laughing) at OU...she auctioned her clothes one day on Campus Corner shortly after that incident in class--did get arrested for that...the Norman D.A. was miffed because none of the students who saw her disrobe in class were willing to press charges...

Her husband was an acid-head back then--I think he either taught or did "research" (hysterical laughing) at OU...she auctioned her clothes one day on Campus Corner shortly after that incident in class--did get arrested for that...the Norman D.A. was miffed because none of the students who saw her disrobe in class were willing to press charges...
    I am remembering a bit more as I think back. I think maybe the incident in the classroom happened after I graduated in 1970. I think it made the paper and maybe there was even a reporter present or something. Her husband was a genius kind of guy I think.

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    I am remembering a bit more as I think back. I think maybe the incident in the classroom happened after I graduated in 1970. I think it made the paper and maybe there was even a reporter present or something. Her husband was a genius kind of guy I think.
    The incident happened in 1970, I think...her husband was another of those so-called "bright" people who accomplished nothing and was a drug-crazed lunatic--as was she--to a lesser extent. They were last seen by me--panhandling on Campus Corner...

I miss the old commonwealth theaters that I grew up with. Northpark, Quail Twin and French Market. I know they weren't flashy, but being a kid and seeing the big event moviest there made an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson8 View Post
    I miss the old commonwealth theaters that I grew up with. Northpark, Quail Twin and French Market. I know they weren't flashy, but being a kid and seeing the big event moviest there made an impact.
    Ah yes, Quail Twin was a nice theatre - seeing Midway in Sensurround was very cool. Also saw Hendrix and Zeppelin midnight movies there, they did have a nice sound system (I think, assuming my memories are accurate) and biiiig screens. Saw some Andy Warhol 3-D movies at French Market. Waited in line for hours to see one of the original Star Wars trilogy (Empire or Jedi, can't remember) on the big screen at Northpark.

Quote Originally Posted by gen70 View Post
    The Center Theatre
    Awesome place back in the day, can't forget the first time I watched 'refer madness" it was at the Center Theatre. (of course, that was back in my heathen days)

You must remember the Berkowitz's...Wendy and her husband--and their Campus Corner antics...and the Gothic horror of a soda at Liberty Drug...you must have been a regular at the miniature golf course in that area as well...Heisman was the theaters (itty-bitty theaters with roll-up screens on a easel)...right?
    Exactly, I do remember all of that. Most of it had been put back in a dark corner of my mind for many years, though. LOL

Exactly, I do remember all of that. Most of it had been put back in a dark corner of my mind for many years, though. LOL
    No doubt you repressed it...and not a bad idea...

I saw Star Wars at North Park, Empire (several times) at Quail Twin, the trailer for Jedi at GC Quail Springs and finally Jedi at Northpark on the last day of school when I was in 4th grade. We rode our bikes from school to Northpark. The big theatre was packed and the employees were posted at the four corners of the theater with walkie talkies. I assume they were making sure the school kids behaved themselves.

Also saw Jedi at Northpark

Too young to remember where I saw Empire, but I do remember seeing it

Shields plaza 8 was the place i went as a young kid, i loved standing outside in the cold lines with my sister and parents, then be amazed by the snack bar area with all the mirrors, then the hall where you walk down to the theater number rooms reminded me of a space ship.. all the memories i loved them.. then when i hit teenage era , the place started turning into bad area to be , but it was the cheapest compared to the movies at crossroads... I kinda miss that dark theater entrance feel with all the odd designs

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    Shields plaza 8 was the place i went as a young kid, i loved standing outside in the cold lines with my sister and parents, then be amazed by the snack bar area with all the mirrors, then the hall where you walk down to the theater number rooms reminded me of a space ship.. all the memories i loved them.. then when i hit teenage era , the place started turning into bad area to be , but it was the cheapest compared to the movies at crossroads... I kinda miss that dark theater entrance feel with all the odd designs
    Saw several films on Shields in the 90's before they closed and killed it off, including Twister and A Time to Kill. It was a discount house then and that was great for catching films I only sort of wanted to see, or that I missed as first runs due to just being too dad gum busy.

I used to walk over to the MacArthur Park 4 at 23rd and MacArthur for Saturday matinees when I was a kid -- maybe 8 or so. Can you imagine letting an 8-year old cross NW 23 OR MacArthur alone these days? Crazy.

I remember seeing the Rocky Horror Picture Show there for the first time in about 1976. I was just completely blown away. I had no idea what I was in for.

Thread Information