Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Anchor Down

Default Re: Anchor Down

I was raised in SE OK. You grow up there, you eat enough fried foods that by your early teens your tummy has its own cast iron lining.

Ate there Friday before the David J show, not impressed. Cool location and that it's in a shipping container, nice to go to once, but not a repeat visit place for us. Had the Roger Dog, Bird Dog and a couple of drinks. They were just corndogs, absolutely nothing special about them, could've bought the same-tasting thing in a freezer from Crest, basically. The Bird Dog didn't taste like sausage or chicken, pretty bland actually. And their Wild Dog was a beef/pork hot link - BFD, you can get those (not wrapped in batter and fried, admittedly) at any BBQ place around. Glad we went to see what it was like, but ain't going back.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Ate there Friday before the David J show, not impressed. Cool location and that it's in a shipping container, nice to go to once, but not a repeat visit place for us. Had the Roger Dog, Bird Dog and a couple of drinks. They were just corndogs, absolutely nothing special about them, could've bought the same-tasting thing in a freezer from Crest, basically. The Bird Dog didn't taste like sausage or chicken, pretty bland actually. And their Wild Dog was a beef/pork hot link - BFD, you can get those (not wrapped in batter and fried, admittedly) at any BBQ place around. Glad we went to see what it was like, but ain't going back.
    It felt the same way, it's nice to say I've been there done that....

I've been to a few hotdog places in the city, and thought I'd ask this question.

What hot dog place merits a repeat visit?

I can only think of one, mutts, but way too expensive.

I've been to the coney island off of Main in downtown, Mutts, and coney island on Rockwell. Unless you count Sams too, which I went mostly for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    I've been to a few hotdog places in the city, and thought I'd ask this question.

I've been to the coney island off of Main in downtown, Mutts, and coney island on Rockwell. Unless you count Sams too, which I went mostly for the price.
    I do not like Coney Island , I'm pretty sure the chili is wolf brand, I like Mighty Dog , and Chili dog express.......I repeat these two monthly

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    I do not like Coney Island , I'm pretty sure the chili is wolf brand, I like Mighty Dog , and Chili dog express.......I repeat these two monthly
    I'd say its more hormel. I've always wanted to visit Chili dog express when I worked downtown. Never made it out there and I no longer work in that area...or in general

Too bad Coney I-Lander has never made its way down to OKC. Maybe I'm just nostalgic or brainwashed from growing up in Tulsa, but they're the best coneys I've ever had... by far.

Tim's at NW 50th & MacArthur has a great coney.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Too bad Coney I-Lander has never made its way down to OKC. Maybe I'm just nostalgic or brainwashed from growing up in Tulsa, but they're the best coneys I've ever had... by far.
    I agree with this, Coney I-Lander has the best coneys. I have yet to find anything that comes close in OKC. There was a Coney place downtown Tulsa east of Arbys that was in my opinion better, I don't know if its still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post

We generally do hot dogs at home (Coleman natural beef franks, some kind of good potato bun, our own homemade chili), so we haven't really been to any hot dog places here, but we do have Mutt's on our list so we'll hit there eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by loveOKC View Post
    I agree with this, Coney I-Lander has the best coneys. I have yet to find anything that comes close in OKC. There was a Coney place downtown Tulsa east of Arbys that was in my opinion better, I don't know if its still there.
    Isn't that where the original Coney I-Lander is located? The store looks a little different than the others ones, but I think that's a Coney I-Lander too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    We generally do hot dogs at home (Coleman natural beef franks, some kind of good potato bun, our own homemade chili), so we haven't really been to any hot dog places here, but we do have Mutt's on our list so we'll hit there eventually.
    Anecdotal experience, I spent $30 on two hotdogs. Different meats and arguably overboard on the toppings. I do like that they grill as opposed to keep in boiled water.

Isn't that where the original Coney I-Lander is located? The store looks a little different than the others ones, but I think that's a Coney I-Lander too.
    Possibly??? The name escapes me, but both were excellent!! I've made a few trips to Tulsa just for the coneys.

Tulsa has a Coney Island and a coney I Lander , and actually both have location near downtown.

Tulsa has a Coney Island and a coney I Lander , and actually both have location near downtown.
    I think the Coney Island is in the Brady District, but the Coney I-Lander is near that Arby's downtown, right?

we need James Coney Island here just to solve my Houstonian homesick days

I think the Coney Island is in the Brady District, but the Coney I-Lander is near that Arby's downtown, right?
    Coney Island is on Boulder street..

Coney Island is on Boulder street..
    Which is in the heart of the Brady District north of the bridges that separate it from the CBD.

What's the new Plaza development from this group? https://instagram.com/p/BGxPonjLJx3/

20. Default Re: Anchor Down

What's the new Plaza development from this group? https://instagram.com/p/BGxPonjLJx3/
    Pretty sure it's this..... http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.ph...highlight=yolk

No, it's not Yolk.

This is an empty building on Gatewood just south of 16th:

Traded messages with The Mule / Anchor Down guys and they said they are still working on their concept but it will be a restaurant and bar.

Very nice! I'm sure it'll be another great development.

Does anyone know why this has not reopened? I believe the Mule is opened as normal. This place has been closed since the Pandemic closures and they have had paper covering all the windows with a sign that just says "We miss you and stand with you OKC" or some variation of that.

Being closed for the entire warm season cannot be great financially.

I was told they are closed for good.

Thread Information