Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lindsey Street

Default Re: Lindsey Street

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    It would be nice to have an earlier jog over to I-44 from Norman. Indian Hills would probably be the easiest as it is the closest to I-44. The current Norman spur is too far out of the way to make 44 a realistic alternative to taking north. A straight shot would be less than 4 miles of new road and a bridge. If you look at making the route avoid most of the current houses and such, it is still under 7 miles to connect the two.

A sample estimate trip from I-35 and Indian Hills is around 15.5 miles to Will Rogers. Taking an estimate path along an extended Indian Hills to 44 is around 17.5 miles. A trip from NW Norman on the new path is around 21 miles or 22 miles on the existing route.

So in the end, the distance will end up being roughly the same as the current solutions, but considering that people will be able to avoid traffic on I-35 and 240...they would be able to make up for it.
    Venture, I'm sure a few people would like that but the amount of traffic that would use that kind of route would hardly justify the expense. As I said it might be more feasible in around 20 years.

When compared to many other growing Cities Norman does a lousy job of thinking about its future traffic needs. Just look at the access roads along I -35.

As they reconstruct major Norman streets they should add a lot more right turn lanes. They should also set aside the right of way to accommodate expansion particularly on section line roads.

We can all post our gripes and even take our concerns to Norman city officials but if the past is any indication very
    little will ever be done in a timely way.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    When compared to many other growing Cities Norman does a lousy job of thinking about its future traffic needs. Just look at the access roads along I -35.

As they reconstruct major Norman streets they should add a lot more right turn lanes. They should also set aside the right of way to accommodate expansion particularly on section line roads.
    I won't argue about planning for the future but Norman is hardly alone it that regard. That is a problem in virtually every growing city contrary to what you think.

5. Default Re: Lindsey Street

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Venture, I'm sure a few people would like that but the amount of traffic that would use that kind of route would hardly justify the expense. As I said it might be more feasible in around 20 years.
    When they start tearing up I-240 & I-35 at the Ft. Smith junction (i think that is the name)...the demand will probably go very high. :-)

I won't argue about planning for the future but Norman is hardly alone it that regard. That is a problem in virtually every growing city contrary to what you think.
    There are growing pains in almost every growing city but Norman has made its situation worse than it should be and worse than in many other growing community’s.

About 25 years ago I spent a lot of time in various Dallas suburbs that were building many 4 and 6 lane roads well before development occurred. Much of this land was farm land at the time. The city of Moore Ok has built 4 lane streets where there is currently little traffic but in areas where they expect growth.

The city of Norman is playing catch up on its older major streets and even in areas of new development.
    This lack of forward thinking has cost us much more money and we don’t get as much built for our dollar.
    Norman will continue to grow for many decades. We should get ahead of the curve.

When they start tearing up I-240 & I-35 at the Ft. Smith junction (i think that is the name)...the demand will probably go very high. :-)
    venture, I'm sure that will cause some congestion but probably not any worse than the years it took to expand I35 north of that junction from 4 lanes to 6 lanes. They always had at least 4 lanes open with some of them rerouted and I'm sure that will happen there as well. What is known as the Ft. Smith junction is where I35 meets I40. I've never heard any particular name for the I240 and I35 junction.

8. Default Re: Lindsey Street

What is known as the Ft. Smith junction is where I35 meets I40. I've never heard any particular name for the I240 and I35 junction.
    Sorry keep forgetting that the Dallas Junction and Ft. Smith junction are the exact same thing. :-P

Sorry keep forgetting that the Dallas Junction and Ft. Smith junction are the exact same thing. :-P
    There isn't any formal designation just local jargon. Actually I think they consider the Dallas Junction to be where I35 first intersects I40 nearest to downtown and the Ft. Smith Junction to be where they split again when going East or North.

With the construction of the underpass at Robinson, they have created a wide mouth entering Flood. Are they planning on creating a 4-lane entry to flood heading south? It would be nice if 77 / Flood would continue 4 lanes into the heart of Norman. Outside of porter and 24th, How many north-south 4-laners do we have in central Norman? It seems that we'd only be removing a few trees to get this done.

Quote Originally Posted by UGABulldawg View Post
    With the construction of the underpass at Robinson, they have created a wide mouth entering Flood. Are they planning on creating a 4-lane entry to flood heading south? It would be nice if 77 / Flood would continue 4 lanes into the heart of Norman. Outside of porter and 24th, How many north-south 4-laners do we have in central Norman? It seems that we'd only be removing a few trees to get this done.
    I'm not aware of any plans to add more lanes to any of the major central N/S roads (Flood, Berry, Peters or Porter) between Robinson and Main Street. Wouldn't object to seeing it on one or more, but in truth, once they get the underpass done, the Flood Robinson interchange didn't flow bad before the work there, so it ought not to flow bad after the work is done. Right now it's an intersection I avoid though, as the light timing is just awful.

I could be wrong about this but I seem to remember that for several years the city of Norman was considering a new major street that would run parallel to the rail road tracks from the OU area north to at least Robison.
    They could still build this but build and over pass over Robison and perhaps Main, Gray and Boyd and then have the street intersect with Flood Street / hy77.
    With the right type of timed signal lighting this could move a lot of traffic in and out of Norman.
    If this street was ever build they could incorporate sound damping devices that would reduce train noise

I could be wrong about this but I seem to remember that for several years the city of Norman was considering a new major street that would run parallel to the rail road tracks from the OU area north to at least Robison.
    They could still build this but build and over pass over Robison and perhaps Main, Gray and Boyd and then have the street intersect with Flood Street / hy77.
    With the right type of timed signal lighting this could move a lot of traffic in and out of Norman.
    If this street was ever build they could incorporate sound damping devices that would reduce train noise
    There is the Legacy Trail project that continues to be improved and will ultimately reach Robinson (I don't know about beyond), but that's walk/jog/bike/skate and not a roadway.

I suppose the easiest possible route for a road along that line would be widen Jenkins beyond Boyd to Duffy, then let it jog over to Jones and widen Jones up to Robinson. Anything on the other side would probably thrash a lot more residential than they want to pay for.

But maybe something is in the pipeline and I have overlooked it. Wouldn't be the first time I was among the last in Norman to know about something in Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    There is the Legacy Trail project that continues to be improved and will ultimately reach Robinson (I don't know about beyond), but that's walk/jog/bike/skate and not a roadway.

I suppose the easiest possible route for a road along that line would be widen Jenkins beyond Boyd to Duffy, then let it jog over to Jones and widen Jones up to Robinson. Anything on the other side would probably thrash a lot more residential than they want to pay for.

But maybe something is in the pipeline and I have overlooked it. Wouldn't be the first time I was among the last in Norman to know about something in Norman.
    The trail runs mostly on the east side of the tracks. This road was going to be on the west side of the tracks. Only a few buildings would have been removed. Some said that it would be a 2 lane road that they would turn into a one way 2 lane road going north after football games.
    I thought it was called the Front Street Project. This was about 10 years ago so what I remember maybe a little off.

There are growing pains in almost every growing city but Norman has made its situation worse than it should be and worse than in many other growing community’s.

About 25 years ago I spent a lot of time in various Dallas suburbs that were building many 4 and 6 lane roads well before development occurred. Much of this land was farm land at the time. The city of Moore Ok has built 4 lane streets where there is currently little traffic but in areas where they expect growth.

The city of Norman is playing catch up on its older major streets and even in areas of new development.
    This lack of forward thinking has cost us much more money and we don’t get as much built for our dollar.
    Norman will continue to grow for many decades. We should get ahead of the curve.
    Of course if they have no water for people, those roads are like the Alaskan bridge to nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Of course if they have no water for people, those roads are like the Alaskan bridge to nowhere.
    Not true

Quote Originally Posted by UGABulldawg View Post
    To four lane Flood to central Norman would require more then tree removal, would also require the removal of several homes and commercial properties.

Four lane roads thru Norman, 48th Av. NW, 36th Av. NW, 24th AV. NW, Porter, 12th Ave. NE. I agree that Flood and maybe even Berry should be 4 lanes, but don't see it anytime soon.

18. Default Re: Lindsey Street

I think the "wide mouth" to southbound Flood Ave. is to service the 7-Eleven that is going to be built on that corner....

Anyone know what they're building next to the street widening project? A small domed building is being built just east of campus on Lindsey.

20. Default Re: Lindsey Street

I heard it is the new islamic student center.

Quote Originally Posted by ChargerAg View Post
    I heard it is the new islamic student center.
    This is correct.

This is correct.
    Oh Jesus, please let this not become an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by BDK View Post
    I’m sure someone will make an issue out of it.

At one time they were going to build condos in that general area.
    I'm not sure why they haven't been built.

Quote Originally Posted by BDK View Post

I hope not. It shouldn't become one. They had a smaller building on the same lot, just not as apparent with the dome and all.

Thread Information