Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 stores (retail, grocery or otherwise) you wish we had in OKC

Default Re: Top 5 stores (retail, grocery or otherwise) you wish we had in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Is the one on SW 104th and May? I always thought they had an expansive meat and deli selection as well as their produce being very good. I have been to Publix in Florida, Reasor's in the Tulsa area as well as a few Kroger's in Texas and I think this one tops them all. Maybe I am not going to as nice of stores in the other areas?
    +1, Crest is excellent.

Heard an ad for REI on the Sports Animal this afternoon. Anyone know why they would advertise in a market where they don't have a presence?

Quote Originally Posted by GoThunder View Post
    Heard an ad for REI on the Sports Animal this afternoon. Anyone know why they would advertise in a market where they don't have a presence?
    Online shoppers would be my guess.

Anything a station runs that is syndicated is either live or delayed. If it's live, the commercials, as bought for all markets, will run whether there's a presence or not. If it's delayed, the ads still have to run in a certain time block, and those can be aired in even local programming, but they still must be aired, presence of the advertiser in the market or not. National buys sometimes make good sense for advertisers who can reach a mass audience cheaper with special bundled deals than if they purchased market by market or even regional buys. I'm sure REI has a quality agency that knows all the '"deals" available on national buys at any given time and avail themselves of them. Bigger companies don't have to watch for those so closely as they buy and lock-in long-term national buys.

I've heard REI ads on local radio before (around the holidays, IIRC).

I was wondering about White Castle? Anyone know why they haven't built here?

Quote Originally Posted by okcsince1987 View Post
    I was wondering about White Castle? Anyone know why they haven't built here?
    I love White Castle, but they are a Northern and Midwestern chain. Tennessee is the only Southern state that has them. There was talk a couple of years ago about them expanding into North Carolina, but it hasn't materialized. I think OKC will see In-n-Out Burger before White Castle.

I was in Tulsa today, and made a quick stop at The fresh Market and was really impressed. Of course, no idea why their first location was in Tulsa and not OKC. I guess it's too good for the likes of OKC. It would be really nice if we had one of those.

Tulsa is a beta market for restaurants.... Maybe the same for retail as well

Not sure where to post this, but I noticed this quip in the local rag a few weeks ago. Thought you guys might be interested.

Von Maur plans first New York location - Omaha.com

Von Maur, which offers men’s, women’s and children’s apparel from such brands as Brooks Brothers, Nic & Zoe, Joe’s Jeans and Tommy Bahama, was founded in Davenport in the late 1800s.

The family-owned company now operates 27 stores in 11 states, including stores in Lincoln and Omaha, and an online business at vonmaur.com. The Rochester-area store will be the company’s 28th store.

Von Maur plans to open a store in Alabama in November and an Oklahoma location in November 2014.

damn, they're not going to open Quail Springs till November next year? You sure that's not supposed to be this year?

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    damn, they're not going to open Quail Springs till November next year? You sure that's not supposed to be this year?
    Next year. I've heard the condition of the Sears building was so poor its not an easy changeover.

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    That old Sears store needs a lot of work done to it, So I can see it being open in November 2014.

Ok, so for the first time in my life I stepped foot into a Trader Joe's in Dallas (Greenville neighborhood location, if that matters) and I didn't see what the big deal was. Now, granted we were in there for all of five minutes to look around since I had never been, but can someone explain to me the obsession with getting TJ's here? It looked like a smaller Whole Foods to me.

Ok, so for the first time in my life I stepped foot into a Trader Joe's in Dallas (Greenville neighborhood location, if that matters) and I didn't see what the big deal was. Now, granted we were in there for all of five minutes to look around since I had never been, but can someone explain to me the obsession with getting TJ's here? It looked like a smaller Whole Foods to me.
    Their prices tend to be extremely low. Nice environment, high quality products, some unique products, low prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    Their prices tend to be extremely low. Nice environment, high quality products, some unique products, low prices.
    Maybe I just didn't spend enough time in there. Thanks for the reply.

Trader Joe's is best for the alcohol. Of course, if we get one here it won't be able to sell the alcohol, but their beers and wines are excellent at a very low price.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    My brother in LA lives within walking distance of both a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods. He considers both to be too expensive and never shops at either.

I've been hearing about this store, didn't realize they only have 61 total, but are in growth mode.

Anyone ever been ( I have not) ? or Anyone want one in OKC?

http://www.containerstore.com/locati....htm?store=GAL

locations
    http://www.containerstore.com/locations/index.htm

because we always need a new sandwich shop or two to try out...

Togo's - Menu

this one looks like its run by hippies!

http://chebahut.com/locations/

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    I've been hearing about this store, didn't realize they only have 61 total, but are in growth mode.

Anyone ever been ( I have not) ? or Anyone want one in OKC?

http://www.containerstore.com/locati....htm?store=GAL

locations
    http://www.containerstore.com/locations/index.htm
    My speculation is the only reason The Container Store isn't in OKC is the lack of a real upscale shopping center. If a lifestyle center, even a small one, ever gets built in OKC it is very likely they will be a tenant.

22. Default Re: Top 5 stores (retail, grocery or otherwise) you wish we had in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    My speculation is the only reason The Container Store isn't in OKC is the lack of a real upscale shopping center. If a lifestyle center, even a small one, ever gets built in OKC it is very likely they will be a tenant.
    That may be, however The Container Store in The Woodlands is on a standalone pad site adjacent to The Woodlands Mall. Even though there is a lifestyle center nearby, The Container Store did not locate there. The Woodlands Mall is on the same caliber as Penn Square Mall, even though one of there anchors was vacated to make way for construction of a Nordstrom's. However, The Container Store located there long before a Nordstrom's was ever announced.

That being said, a lifestyle or upscale shopping center is not a requirement for The Container Store, as the box it is currently operating in was formerly Circuit City.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

23. Default Re: Top 5 stores (retail, grocery or otherwise) you wish we had in OKC

The Container Store is the only non-local I would get worked up over. It's a pretty special place. I would also be excited if you could transport a circa 1998 Restoration Hardware here. As for today's RH, you might as well put in a Pottery Barn. It is a completely different (and I have no doubt far more profitable) animal today.

I still love RH, although their furniture is not all unique to the brand. They're about the only mail order catalog I would buy furniture from. I just bought a bed from them that is so sturdy I can't move it. I'm still trying to figure out how Im going to get a rug under it. But, their style is definitely not for everyone and their prices aren't low. They have sales so often, though, that I would never pay full price. I would be very happy to have a store here, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    There is a Container Store in Dallas right across from Northpark Mall next to a Barnes and Noble, Tom Thumb and a Wells Fargo Bank. I would hardly call this upscale, but I guess being in close proximity to NP helps. They could always put one in the Belle Isle Shopping Center if a correct space ever opens up. It is right next to PSM which is the most upscale shopping in OKC, IMHO.

Thread Information