Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 27 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Maples Barbecue

1. Plaza District Maples Barbecue

Excited about this: www.maplesbarbecue.com

Instagram: @maplesbarbecue

"OKC's first Texas style pit BBQ stand. Coming soon to Midtown. Brought to you by Day One Concepts."

Day One is the restaurant group formed by Todd Woodruff, who brought about Waffle Champion and also the Buttermilk Sliders food truck (housed in the original Waffle Champion food truck). Based on his track record it should be very well executed and a huge hit.

Not sure of the exact location. Guessing someone else here might know. Pete?

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Awesome!

3. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Just heard about this place today myself..... There are at least 5 different Texas styles of BBQ.... Hoping they are going to be cooking Central Texas Style but I'm skeptical how they are going to pull off Texas Pit Style in Midtown without catching a lot of grief from neighbors like a lot of places have had to deal with in Austin recently.

If they are advertising Texas Pit Style it better be a wood fired pit and not a commercial pellet smoker or they'll lose their credibility with me immediately....... Not that I have anything against pellet smokers but the best places in Texas are not using them. However some of the top KCBS cooks are...... Huge difference between KC and Texas BBQ though.

Pete mentioned a new and exciting concept coming in another thread..... This could have been what he was alluding do.

4. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Smoker is being fabricated locally from some large steel tanks. Photos of tanks are on IG account. Not sure what final product will look like, and still not sure about planned location. 'Cue is apparently going to be in same style neighborhood as Franklin.

5. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Yeah, just saw the pics on their FB page and that is promisiing.

Wonder how they are going to deal with the smoke. That was recently a huge issue in Austin with neighbors complaining about the constant smoke permeating their homes.

6. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Well, fortunately the prevailing wind during most of the year will blow from Midtown to Heritage Hills, where folks are pretty understanding.

Best laugh I've had all month Urbanized.

Blog Entries

Without huge expense they could use some electronic filtration to reduce or eliminate the smoke without affecting the draw of the air.

This sounds promising.

The website says November 2016. That seems quick.

11. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Without huge expense they could use some electronic filtration to reduce or eliminate the smoke without affecting the draw of the air.
    Possibly... I know when Austin was considering making all the places there install smoke scrubbers. That most of them argued it would change the flavor of their meats and the cost was prohibitive.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Possibly... I know when Austin was considering making all the places there install smoke scrubbers. That most of them argued it would change the flavor of their meats and the cost was prohibitive.
    It shouldn't have any affect on flavor as all it does is capture prior to being released to the atmosphere and has zero effect on the smoke chamber. Being electrostatic it doesn't require HEPA filter media and is a low static pressure drop device. Doesn't really require an industrial grade full "scrubber". A reasonably competent HVAC engineer should be able to put together an effective system to deal with neighborhood issues and it shouldn't break the bank.

Personally, I would love to have BBQ smoke directed at my house.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Catch,
    I'm with you! What a fine aroma.
    C. T.

As I understand it, it will be next to foodie's (in the parking lot). It's just a bbq trailer. No building.

Yup. Need that like button. The people in Austin who claim the smell of real BBQ is offensive can just move back to California.

Quote Originally Posted by Chitty View Post
    As I understand it, it will be next to foodie's (in the parking lot). It's just a bbq trailer. No building.
    Interesting. That's the only thing that made sense if they were going to actually hit the November 2016 open date.

18. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Well that's how Franklin got started..... The pics of the two large tanks they are going to be using really raise some concern about the smoke then.... I could see their being some complaints about it but hope there's not because this sounds like the concept I have been wanting someone to try here. I would have probably looked at doing it in the Farmers Market area but I completely understand the draw to try it in Midtown too.

19. Default Re: Maples Barbecue

Not going to be in this location. Location is still being finalized, but this is not it. Fabrication of smoker is starting today, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Not going to be in this location. Location is still being finalized, but this is not it. Fabrication of smoker is starting today, BTW.
    Will it be a fixed location deal or a food truck?

Fixed location.

They are trying to wrap up a ground lease.

Reminds me of when I visited Memphis and got to try Rendezvous in downtown... the exhaust from their kitchen blew directly into the alleyway where their front door is. I've never been so ready to just tear into a rack of ribs as I was that day, after waiting in line for an hour in that alleyway... just overwhelmed by that delicious aroma.

Some more info on Maples...

They are close to signing a ground lease in Midtown.

It will be a lot with a large concession trailer for ordering, and then the large flatbed with the smokers. There will also be some picnic tables but no indoor seating.

If all goes well, they could be open by the first of December.

It will be like Burn Co. in Tulsa or several places in Texas: open at 11, stay open until the meat sells out.

So "Texas Pit Style", in this case, means food truck (or concession trailer, whatever)? I was wondering exactly what it meant, considering (as mentioned) there are at least five distinct styles of Texas Barbecue. Since I quickly ruled out open pit, I wondered if they meant it is 'served' in the Texas style (which again means different things in different areas of the huge state), and that it would be you go order your meat from a dude who cuts it right there in front of you, you go select your sides, everything is weighed, you pay and get your food then there's an area with bread and pickles/onions/jalapenos and sauce if one is so inclined. But with no indoor space that is ruled out as well.

So, trailer in a lot, couple smokers, couple picnic tables. It's Bobo's with beef instead of chicken? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, just wondering what part makes it "Texas Style Pit".
    Last edited by stile99; 09-28-2016 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Typos are fun

They are expecting to open in December with no indoor seating? That seems kind of risky. I guess they are expecting a lot of their business to be grab and go...

Thread Information