Widgets Magazine
Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeland Grocery Stores

Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

If I was CEO of Homeland, I would start thinking about the new liquor laws and how to implement a more extensive beer/wine selection than what Wal-Mart and Target will be able to offer. Mid-range grocers greatly benefit this way in other markets. When I lived in Charlotte, Harris Teeter (Kroger) had a huge, very extensive wine/beer section while Wal-Mart and Target typically only had a basic selection of domestic beers and bottom shelf wines.

That would probably get them back into the game in a relatively quick fashion.

I have my fingers crossed that they have a decent produce section once the renovations are finished. The produce in the Belle Isle Wal-Mart is horrible, and I'd love a closer option than the new WinCo or the Crest at 23rd and Meridian. Can anyone speak to how the produce is at the Save-A-Lot at 36th & Lottie?

4. Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

^^^^^^^
    This Homeland really stepped up their produce shortly after announcing the renovation, then it languished a bit while the renovation groundbreaking dragged out, but I noticed again that it seems to be much better already, even on the current temporary aisle. It's pretty amazing to me that the store FEELS like it has far more selection right now despite the fact that it is occupying about 2/3 the square footage it did, while the other 1/3 is under construction. Gives me great hope for the finished product.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^^
    This Homeland really stepped up their produce shortly after announcing the renovation, then it languished a bit while the renovation groundbreaking dragged out, but I noticed again that it seems to be much better already, even on the current temporary aisle. It's pretty amazing to me that the store FEELS like it has far more selection right now despite the fact that it is occupying about 2/3 the square footage it did, while the other 1/3 is under construction. Gives me great hope for the finished product.
    That's awesome to hear. Might have to check it out tomorrow just to see how it compares to the stores I mentioned, even with the ongoing renovations. It's by far the closest grocery store to my location, so I'll be really happy if it can end up being a viable option.

To add to the positive comments posted previously, I've got to say that this Homeland has the most awesome pharmacy staff. They remember you by name, and you can just walk up, hand them your prescription, and they'll get it ready within just a few minutes. It's never a hassle. These are some pleasant folks, despite one of their drop off windows having been boarded up now for a couple of months, no doubt leaving them feeling claustrophobic. They're looking forward to when the renovations make it over to their little area.

i can't quite tell because of the lighting but is the existing west facade (right side of the picture) being painted gray?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i can't quite tell because of the lighting but is the existing west facade (right side of the picture) being painted gray?
    Yes, all the sides except north now have gray paint over those tilt-up concrete aggregate panels.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, all the sides except north now have gray paint over those tilt-up concrete aggregate panels.
    gotcha... those probably look way less dated with some paint on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    gotcha... those probably look way less dated with some paint on them.
    Yes there is no doubt at all about that. They look about 10000X better now.

I'm disappointed they took down the sign with the antique car that said parking in the corner of the parking lot. I just liked how they labeled something that was so obvious

These are from yesterday.

They are cutting out concrete to make room for trees and some of the new signage is up.

HangryHippo Guest

Is a parking lot redo part of the plan?

The parking lot really isn't in bad shape.

I suspect they will do fresh oil and re-stripe.

Blog Entries

New sign on the corner, glad to see that!

There is noticeably more traffic at this store since the remodel has reached its final stages. The last few times I have been there the parking lot has been quite full. I am looking forward to seeing the final product.

19. Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

A new roof membrane too! I couldn’t imagine they’d do the remodel without it, but figured it would go on earlier in the remodel, so I was wondering.

20. Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

Quote Originally Posted by CCOKC View Post
    There is noticeably more traffic at this store since the remodel has reached its final stages. The last few times I have been there the parking lot has been quite full. I am looking forward to seeing the final product.
    Very glad to hear that. I hope it picks up more.

Trees are planted and the main Homeland sign on the building has been installed.

Homeland nears completion on $2 million renovation of core location

The Homeland grocery store at NW 18th & Classen has been a fixture in Oklahoma City's central neighborhoods for decades, with few nearby options.

[PRBREAK][/PRBREAK]

Last year, the company announced plans to completely renovate the building both inside and out after collecting feedback from residents in the surrounding neighborhoods.

The changes couldn't come fast enough for the store's patrons, as the aging facility had not seen much work in several decades. Before starting, even the large exterior sign was in disrepair.

Now, as work continues to a complete makeover, the new improved Homeland is starting to take shape.

A recent visit shows the eastern 1/3rd of the store is almost complete. This area has been closed off for months and completely rebuilt with a new deli, bakery, butcher and producer area. It will be the entry point of the remodeled store as customers will soon entry from a brand new vestibule.

The rest of the store has already seen upgrades in the form of new signage, shelving, freezer cases and flooring.

Outside, there is an entirely new north facade as well as new signage and new trees were recently planted all around. The building has been painted and less noticeable but equally important, a new room and HVAC system has been installed.

There is still plenty of work to be done in the pharmacy and customer service area as well as the checkout area in front of the store and the parking lot.

Homeland hopes to be completely finished in time for their Grand Reopening scheduled for July 11th.

The new section of this store in particular is extremely impressive.

I think people are going to be surprised and impressed with the final product.

24. Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

Super excited. Especially great for Heritage Hills, Mesta, Gatewood, CTP etc., but this is really great for downtown also. Even with the retooled (and very serviceable) Native Roots, most of downtown still doesn’t have the walkable bodegas people would like, and of course definitely not the full-on supermarket on the streetcar line - or else whatever people will deem “perfect” - but if you factor this store plus relative proximity to Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s downtown residents have at least the same quality of easily-driveable grocery options as many of the “best” parts of the OKC metro. Perhaps not the perfect urban grocery situation but big step up and you can no longer say downtown has no good grocery options close by.

25. Default Re: Homeland Grocery Stores

I think the next positive step for downtown hopefully will be a full-on CVS or Walgreens (hopefully on streetcar line and preferably walkable to the convention center). Another Native Roots type situation would be great if it happened, and of course the long-rumored/speculated supermarket in the Midtown area would be great. But this is a huge, HUGE improvement.

Thread Information