Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Senior Wellness Centers

Default Re: Senior Wellness Aquatics Centers

Quote Originally Posted by capt_john_97 View Post
    My understanding is that Woodson Senior center is to be renovated and the current pool there is to be connected to the center and enclosed. Now this is all rumor and speculation (also read smoke and mirrors). Also, to my understanding is that this is/was part of the MAPS3. I have no idea if/when this might happen. Just throwing out the rumor I have been told.
    You need to find a new information source, I guarantee this is 100% false.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    You need to find a new information source, I guarantee this is 100% false.
    Junkie, do you have inside info on what the plans are?

Well the information sources are wide and varied and that has been a persisting rumor amongst the people that work for the city(the workers that is...not people that are as well placed as rcjunkie seems to have been or still is). I dont know why they would want to save that pool. I see them building from scratch and giving the center to the YMCA or Boys and Girls Club. I can't see the need for that pool to be enclosed 8 lane 50 meter with seperate dive tank and baby pool makes no sense. building new with a 4 lane 25 yard senior fitness pool makes more sense.
    Now that is just my thoughts on it I have no official info

Default Senior Wellness Centers

I couldn't find the original senior wellness center thread so here is a new one. I just finished reading Suburban Nation last night and one of the chapters in entitled Victims of Urban Sprawl. This is what it said about Senior Citizens and I think this needs to be taken into serious consideration when selecting the location for the Senior Wellness Centers.

STRANDED ELDERLY
    Whether or not the suburbs work as promised for children, they are intended to benefit families, especially young ones. As families age and disperse, however, parents begin to find themselves in an environment that is no longer organized to serve their needs. As driving skills diminish with age, parents become increasingly dependent upon others for mobility, just as their children were once dependent upon them. This situation may represent some form of divine justice, but hardly a satisfying one, since being forced to drive and being forced to ride are equally unpleasant.

Many seniors choose to retire to a house in the suburbs especially in the Sun Belt—at least they think that’s what they are doing. But they would be mistaken, because, as soon as they lose their driver's licenses, the location of that house puts them out of reach of their physical and social needs. They become, in effect, nonviable members of society. Unless they are wealthy enough to have a chauffeur, or are willing to burden a relative, they have no choice but to re-retire into a specialized home for the elderly. Then, having left a second community behind, they spend the rest of their days quarantined with their fellow nonviable members of society. The retirement community is really just a way station for the assisted-care facility.

Most elderly are neither infirm nor senile; they are healthy and able citizens who simply can no longer operate two tons of heavy machinery. The phenomenon of suburban auto dependency is not just a theory for these people. It is the reason why we see otherwise reasonable men and women falsifying eye exams and terrorizing their fellow motorists. They know that the minute they lose their license, they will revert from adulthood to infancy and be warehoused in an institution where their only source of freedom is the van that takes them to the mall on Monday and Thursday afternoons.

It should not be surprising that contemporary suburbia, with its strict separation of land uses, has inadvertently segregated the elderly from the rest of society. Prior to 1950, there were few if any retirement communities in the United States; they did not exist, because they were not needed. The elderly would almost always stay in their old neighborhoods after retiring. Once they lost their ability to drive, they could still maintain a viable lifestyle by walking, even if slowly. The ladies pictured here have the good fortune of living in Winter Park, Florida, a small City built in the late nineteenth century. In such a place, where housing and shopping are in close pedestrian proximity, they can remain independent until they become infirm. This option is simply not available in today's suburbs.

Acknowledging the conveniences that traditional urbanism offers the elderly, sociologists have recently identified what they call a NORC: a Naturally Occurring Retirement Community. Amateur observers have another name for it: a neighborhood full of older people. Winter Park, Florida, is one such community, as is the Upper East Side of Manhattan. Many American cities have their NORCs, where a disproportionate number of the better-off elderly have moved in order to realize the benefits of retiring in a mixed use, pedestrian-friendly environment. One hopes that this sort of self-sufficiency does not become the exclusive privilege of the upper classes.
    With this in mind I would like to encourage these wellness centers to be located in places that not only serve the seniors directly, but also help to re-establish traditional neighborhood development in the urban core. I would like to have the following locations considered. And of course, each wellness center would need to be built to urban design specifications.

1) The Plaza District
    2) Captiol Hill
    3) Paseo
    4) N. Western at 43rd

Blog Entries

Default Re: Senior Wellness Centers

If you want to insure that there are no more Maps, be sure to alienate the rest of the city who pays into it by placing all projects downtown.

Default Re: Senior Wellness Centers

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    If you want to insure that there are no more Maps, be sure to alienate the rest of the city who pays into it by placing all projects downtown.
    These locations are not downtown, but based on your response I am thinking you didn't read the excerpt I posted. These places won't work if the elderly have to drive to them.

The task force / consultants just issued their final report and based on the distribution of older people in the metro (first graphic) they are looking at two different options for locations:

So it appears they are going to require seniors to drive to them instead of using this as an opportunity to develop sustainable neighborhoods. This is the dropping of the proverbial ball.

The last one looks closest to a Venn Diagram so I'm voting for it.

(Along with a recommendation to more closely qualify Consultant/GraphDrawers)

It is almost like we are slapping stuff all over the map without any rhyme or reason with little or no regard for future development. Then we complain about traffic in suburbia. Maybe the problem is that to get anywhere, we have to drive to it.

This is especially true for Urban Planners who don't even live within the confines of The Urban being planned.

Well . . . Isn't it?

(Not trying to be mean or rude or anything) . . .

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    This is especially true for Urban Planners who don't even live with the confines of The Urban being planned.

Well . . . Isn't it?

(Not trying to be mean or rude or anything) . . .
    Do the universal rules of urbanism not apply in OKC, so only someone living in OKC is capable of understanding the unique characteristics? What makes OKC different from any place else on Earth? Do the laws of physics not apply inside the OKC city limits either?

Dang.

I done forgot about The Universal Laws of Urbanism(/ Planning).
    I guess I feel sorta like the way Newton felt when Einstein's observations were presented to him.
    (But only "sorta") . . .

So . . . Just out of curiosity . . .
    'Zackly how much B.F. Skinner have you read, without a little Aldous Huxley and Kurt Vonnegut (e.g. "Cat's Cradle") thrown in, in order to develop your religion?

the map is not the
    territory that it might
    represent. nossir.

I would add "it ain't" (or "it don't") at the end, in parenthesis . . .
    But so doing would violate The Universal Rules of Haiku.
    (In fact, I'm not sure that periods are permissable.)

BTW: Where did you find that billboard and flags for Golden Goose Flea Market Mall?

That is pretty funny stuff RadicalModerate. Meanwhile back at the ranch, we are building senior wellness centers for today's seniors in a location they have to drive to. What about tomorrow's seniors? Why not spend the effort and money to create neighborhoods that people can grow old in so people don't have to keep moving in the first place?

Can you more exactly define "tomorrow's" seniors?
    And exactly where are these imaginary "senior wellness centers" actually being built?
    And isn't the whole concept of "[have] to keep moving" a large part of "wellness"?

Now, I'm sorry that I never got involved with "The Sims" . . .
    (thank goodness, "Angry Birds" has appeared over the virtual horizon . . .)

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Can you more exactly define "tomorrow's" seniors?
    And exactly where are these imaginary "senior wellness centers" actually being built?
    And isn't the whole concept of "[have] to keep moving" a large part of "wellness"?
    Tomorrow's seniors are today's parents. You live in apartment A when you your single, then you get married and buy a starter home. Then you have kids and you move to a subdivision. Then you kids leave and you move again. Then you get to old to drive and you move again to a retirement home. Why? Why can't there be traditional neighborhoods where you can live your whole life and never have to move unless it is employment related. If people didn't have to move every 10 years some people might actually be able pay-off their mortgage by the time they are 50 and we wouldn't have the housing mess we have today. And they would have something they could sell to see them through their final years, or leave to their family members. Inheriting a childhood home is unheard of today, but it used to be common place.

Based on the maps provided they appear they are going to be built in places dominated by the automobile which is only going to contribute to more sprawl, more traffic, and a great dependence on the car which leads us to your third question. Just how much exercise do you get driving a car? We want seniors to be active so we build things in places that require them to drive. Read the text I posted above about the stranded elderly. How are they going to the wellness center when they need it the most. My mother stopped driving 2 years ago and my grandmother lived for 20 years after she stopped driving. Both of them could walk just fine but there was nothing to walk to.

17. Default Re: Senior Wellness Centers

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    With this in mind I would like to encourage these wellness centers to be located in places that not only serve the seniors directly, but also help to re-establish traditional neighborhood development in the urban core. I would like to have the following locations considered. And of course, each wellness center would need to be built to urban design specifications.

1) The Plaza District
    2) Captiol Hill
    3) Paseo
    4) N. Western at 43rd
    Very few seniors live in those neighborhoods anymore. They tend to live in houses built in the 50's and 60's, not pre-war neighborhoods. Old buildings =\= old people.

Is the City trying to build walkable neighborhoods or not? Becasue if we aren't, then building public facilites in a part of town that requires a car is the perfect location. I was under the impression that public money was spent on places like the Plaza District to re-establish walkable neighborhoods. Maybe I was wrong in thinking that.

Good commentary piece on Walkability from city staff in Gazette today: [URL="http://http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/article-13219-working-toward-walkability.html"].

Walkability is key, so is ADA infrastructure and access to transit. Are any cities planning for the aging and disabled? Is there adequate paratransit bus service?
    Last edited by Frustratedoptimist; 10-12-2011 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Typo

Thanks for that link frustrated. I have a hard time believing someone with the City wrote that while at the same time senior wellness centers are getting built in locations that require the seniors to drive to use them. The left hand needs to tell the right hand what it is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Thanks for that link frustrated. I have a hard time believing someone with the City wrote that while at the same time senior wellness centers are getting built in locations that require the seniors to drive to use them. The left hand needs to tell the right hand what it is doing.

650 square miles, seniors live in all areas of OKC, do you expect the City to build a wellness center within walking distance of every senior.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    [/B]

650 square miles, seniors live in all areas of OKC, do you expect the City to build a wellness center within walking distance of every senior.
    No, I expect the part of the City that is building new stuff to build it where another part of the City is trying to create walkable neighborhoods. It is like half the City is trying to build a house and another part of the City comes along every night and tears some of it down. We could get where we are going faster if he we didn't take one step forward and one step backwards.

The MAPS 3 Subcommittee has drafted an RFP to find a partner for one or more of these centers:

BACKGROUND
    MAPS 3 is a 10-year construction program intended to improve the quality of life in OklahomaCity. It is funded by a limited term one-cent sales tax initiative which began in April 2010 and ends in December 2017. The projects span the entire city at an estimated cost of $777 million.The program includes $52,385,000 for “new health, wellness and aquatic centers designed for senior citizens” as defined in the City Council Resolution. The concept originally assumed thatthe city would construct the turn-key facilities and that operating partners would be solicited to operate the facilities at their own expense. In October of 2011, an RFP was released to solicitproposals from potential operating partners. Two responses were received, but both were rejected. The RFP has been revised in an effort to produce a broader level of interest andresponse from potential partners.

GENERAL SCOPE AND REQUIREMENTS
    The City of Oklahoma City (“City”) is soliciting proposals from qualified organizations tooperate one or more of the City owned health, wellness and aquatic centers designed for seniors (“Senior Wellness Centers”), which will be constructed over the next several years. (“Senior” isdefined as an adult age 50 or over). The Operating Partner will be primarily responsible for the operation and maintenance of the Senior Wellness Center. The City proposes to engage theservices of an architectural firm, Glover Smith Bode, who will work with the City and the selected Operating Partner to design any buildings, building renovations and associated physicalamenities related to the first center. The selected Operating Partner will assist in the planning and programming of the center.

The successful respondent shall have relevant experience, shall be able to provide programs andactivities that serve a diverse population of seniors, and shall have the fiscal and service capacity to operate and manage the center. Respondents should be able to demonstrate their SeniorWellness Center operation and service delivery experience and be able to work cooperatively with the City and the community to implement a successful operation. In the absence of directexperience, respondents should describe the capabilities which qualify them for consideration. It is anticipated that the Operating Partners will enter into a contract with the City, with annualrenewals at the City’s discretion. Because it may be advantageous to the parties, the City may wish to contract with or through a participating public trust. As part of the selection process, respondents will be required to submit a statement ofqualifications as described on the following pages. The City will select the most qualified Operating Partner and commence drafting an Operational Agreement from these submittals andsuch other actions as they deem appropriate to the selection process. The Operating Agreement may be preceded by a Memorandum of Understanding for up to one year.The City encourages proposals from single providers or from multiple providers under a common legal entity. Services and programs may be proposed for a single location or formultiple locations.

The kinds of services to be provided may vary, but core services and programs would ideally include the following:
     Fitness
     Aquatics
     Social
     Educational
     Retail
     Health

The physical facilities may vary in size and scope. Any new, self-contained facility will beapproximately 40,000 square feet. The City encourages proposals which include any of the following options or combination of options within the construction budget specified in theImplementation Plan. The combined construction and Furniture, Fixtures & Equipment budget for the first facility is $8,604,000. Facilities may be housed in a variety of building typesincluding any one or a combination of the following:

1. A new facility
    2. Renovation(s) of existing facilities
    3. Addition(s) to existing facilities

“Senior” is defined as an adult age 50 or over
    Turns out I was right when the thought occurred to me during the campaign, that by the time they get built, I will qualify. Made me feel old!

Am pleasantly surprised about the retail element!

25. Default Re: Senior Wellness Aquatics Centers

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    From the Senior Wellness Center Subcommittee, here are their objectives:

Provide 4 to 5 state-of-the-art health and wellness centers (1 or 2 to include aquatic programs)
     Encourage healthy lifestyles and serve as a gathering place for active seniors
     Reflect the needs of the surrounding community
     Reinforce the quality of life as it relates to physical, mental and spiritual well-being
     Create, expand and enhance life by providing meaning and purpose
     Foster the well-being of seniors by connecting them with each other
     Transform the aging experience into something positive and life-fulfilling

So, only one or two of these will have a pool and those will be built with ramps that make it easy for people to get in and out of the water.

All the centers will have fitness equipment; rooms for activities, meetings and classes; dining area; social lounges and game rooms.

I don't know why these originally were tagged as "senior aquatic centers" because they are really senior wellness centers similar to what you see in lots of communities.

It's clearly something Oklahoma City doesn't currently have and really needs.
    Sadly, anyone on the Senior Wellness Center Subcommittee that doesn't support aquatic centers at all 4-5 Wellness Centers has FAILED the seniors of Oklahoma City, the voters that approved 5 senior aquatic centers and has failed their responsibilities as committee members. Who the hell shrunk the aquatic centers to 1 or 2?

Sounds like the same kind of people who promised sidewalks in all neighborhoods without them to pass our last bond issue and almost totally reneged on that promise!

Thread Information