Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City News TV personalities: past & present.

Default Oklahoma City News TV personalities: past & present.

OKC is known for having some memorable TV news personalities, many of which are known for the longevity and experience (Gary England/KWTV, Linda Cavanaugh KTVY-KFOR)

some are known for some seedy scandals that they got enveloped into: (Jack Bowen/KOCO)

some were just beautiful (Patti Suarez/KWTV *wink*)

one I remember was an newsanchor...I want to say his name is Anthony Foster, but Im not too sure... i believed he either worked for KOCO or KFOR......I want to say the latter.. This was about 10 yrs ago around 1999. He was a white man with black hair..say in his mid 30's, perhaps? He was on the scene reporting live from the All Sports Stadium where they were hosting a Smashing Pumpkins concert.

anyways..some enraged fans, who were obviously drunk, rushed right in front of the camera and began acting immature saying things like "wooo...party on!..rock on!"

Mr. Foster then broke from his professional reporting posture and dived into a rage of on-camera anger in retaliation at the fans and said something to the effect of "GET OUTTA HERE!!!...WE ARE BROADCASTING LIVE!!...GET LOST, PUNKS!"

Mr. Foster then proceeded to return to his reporting assuming his resumed pose as if nothing had even occured, although his face was beet-red. It was hilarious, and it was the final time I ever saw him again...he didnt go to work for another area station...he just vanished into thin air almost...like a mystery.

anyone else recall this memory, or have a memory youd like to share?

Default Re: Oklahoma City News TV personalities: past & present.

I remember Bella Shaw from KFOR. She went on to greener pastures and anchored for CNN for several years in Atlanta and then became a co host for CNN's Entertainment segment in LA. I see where she is now a morning anchor for CNN/Times Warner at their local station in the LA area. Talk about a beautiful, stunning women. She gets better with age!

a lot of former OKC personalities are now here in DFW, such as Randy Mcilwain and Sophia Reza.

Theres a pretty asian anchor currently on one of the OKC affiliates, I cant remember which one, but I do remember my shot glass falling out of my hand and shattering on my friend's kitchen floor when I saw her., shes smokin hot.

Tony Clark...

Quote Originally Posted by mburlison View Post
    Tony Clark...
    who is that?

Quote Originally Posted by mireaux View Post
    who is that?
    He used to be a reporter at KWTV years ago, but went to CNN when it was first starting up. Back in the days when stations were still required to do public service programming, he had a show called "Newsbreakers", I believe. He used to have some seriously interesting folks on there.

7. Default Re: Oklahoma City News TV personalities: past & present.

a lot of former OKC personalities are now here in DFW, such as Randy Mcilwain and Sophia Reza.

Theres a pretty asian anchor currently on one of the OKC affiliates, I cant remember which one, but I do remember my shot glass falling out of my hand and shattering on my friend's kitchen floor when I saw her., shes smokin hot.
    The greatest loss OKC had to Dallas was Sana Syed, formerly anchoring on FOX25. The first time I saw her, I ATE the shot glass! ;-)

As far as Asian anchors here in OKC, maybe you're either talking about JiaoJiao Shen or Jaclyn Schultz.

From the scandals-twenty-years-ago-or-so department, Jerry Adams was a very popular local news anchor who bounced among, if memory serves, all three local network affiliates over time, but then became embroiled in a cocaine scandal that effectively ended his career (although I think by the time it broke he was already fading from the market).

One of the saddest things I remember is a former anchor at KWTV (and this was YEARS ago) named Ralph Combs. He was gone from the station, and I remember one time seeing him working at a novelty photo booth inside JCPenny's at Crossroads.

Many here probably are too young to know that Gary England, who was the grandfather of harum-scarum Fear the Weather meteorology, got started at radio station KTOK back in the 70s before his reign of terror on KWTV started. Amazingly, he's mellowed considerably over that time.

I remember several older anchors from WKY->KTVY->KFOR, notably Ernie Schutlz, George Tomek (who still does the occasional hearing aid spot these days)...Channel 5 decided to get out of the ratings basement by building a fancy set that literally resembled the bridge of the starship Enterprise with viewscreen and arced anchor desk, with anchors Dave Gilbert and Jane Jayroe. Jayroe left for a time, then moved to KFOR before finally retiring some years later. Gilbert was also teamed up with someone named Mary Ruth Carlton. I think she was romantically linked with Barry Switzer at one point...

Tons of sports anchors have rolled through...John Snyder was a very well-respected sports anchor at KWTV years ago...a weekend guy named Ken Broo was there for a while..along with a guy named Ted Lightner (sp)..and local pitchman Chris Needham worked there in sports as well....many here remember our mayor Mick Cornett's pre-toupee stint as a KOCO sports reporter/weekend anchor. Jerry Park was KOCO's main sports guy at the time....I also recall when Mike Treps did WKY sports, and he gave way to Bob Barry Senior..

KWTV used to have a morning show called The Early Beat with Lola Hall and Bill Hare, back when local TV was still heavily influenced by agricultural and stock reporting...Bill reported the "barrows and gilts" prices every morning, and sometimes Wayne Liles would sub for him. Lola was KWTV's "weather girl," and she moved to the "hostess" position on that show with Tom Mahoney as weatherman......Fred Norman was probably the most colorful, curmudgeonly weatherman in this market, on KOCO for a long time until he got a little too honest about the youth movement at the station which ultimately got him fired. Back when Jack Ogle was anchor, Jim Williams was WKY->KTVY->KFOR's weather man, and he's also local radio personality Danny Williams' brother....they used to have this completely dark/black set, with a spotllight only on the current segment's host. Little to no chitchat in those days.

Man, did I watch too much TV then or what...

another favorite local tv personality would be KOCO's, Ho-Ho the Clown.

everybody loved them some Ho-Ho. It was real sad when he passed away.

I remember when every single KOCO newscast ended with people making this hand sign with their fingers (your thumb and index finger forming an O, while the other 3 fingers are slightly arched around it)

Quote Originally Posted by drumsncode View Post
    The greatest loss OKC had to Dallas was Sana Syed, formerly anchoring on FOX25. The first time I saw her, I ATE the shot glass! ;-)

As far as Asian anchors here in OKC, maybe you're either talking about JiaoJiao Shen or Jaclyn Schultz.
    yeah, i think it was jiao jiao shen. i googled her and it brought up KOCO's info page on her. JiaoJiao Shen - KOCO-TV News Story - KOCO Oklahoma City

i love what is says towards the end of her bio page:..."If you see Jiao Jiao around town, please stop and hello. She loves meeting new people and making friends".

Yeeeaah..if I see her around any town, im taking it friendlier leagues further than a simple hello to her.

I remember when every single KOCO newscast ended with people making this hand sign with their fingers (your thumb and index finger forming an O, while the other 3 fingers are slightly arched around it)
    O-tay!

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post

One of the saddest things I remember is a former anchor at KWTV (and this was YEARS ago) named Ralph Combs. He was gone from the station, and I remember one time seeing him working at a novelty photo booth inside JCPenny's at Crossroads.
    How is it sad? The man realized he had to do something to pay the bills.

What is really is sad is the people who lose a job and refuse to back to work unless it is the same job they had before or at least the same money they made at their former job. They will stay unemployed for an eternity while waiting for the dream job. In reality they could have done something else until the new job came along. I am not saying an investment banker should go work at McDonald's. However, they could land a job in the banking industry doing something less glamorous until another position comes open.

Quote Originally Posted by drumsncode View Post

Ah drumsncode, my favorite FoxNews Fren on this board........surely not her......

LOL

Many here probably are too young to know that Gary England, who was the grandfather of harum-scarum Fear the Weather meteorology, got started at radio station KTOK back in the 70s before his reign of terror on KWTV started. Amazingly, he's mellowed considerably over that time.

I remember several older anchors from WKY->KTVY->KFOR, notably Ernie Schutlz, George Tomek (who still does the occasional hearing aid spot these days)..
    Tomek is on the OETA Report.
    As for England, I wished a twister gets him,he is annoying as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    How is it sad? The man realized he had to do something to pay the bills.

What is really is sad is the people who lose a job and refuse to back to work unless it is the same job they had before or at least the same money they made at their former job. .
    Good gosh, oneforone, it wasn't anything more than a recognition that the guy had fallen on rough times, that's all. Do you mind if I recall having felt a little sympathy for the guy?

* sigh * sometimes......

Quote Originally Posted by gmwise View Post
    Tomek is on the OETA Report.
    As for England, I wished a twister gets him,he is annoying as hell.
    A couple of years back one almost took out the station while following a Tornado that tracked from Bethany to Northwest Expressway to Wilshire and Kelly.

I remember the camera crew rushing with the staff to their Hidey Hole (sp). I remember the camera guy kept panning the crowd and stopping on Amy McRee. She then shot him the coldest look as if she could kill him with her stare. After that he stayed focused on Gary.

lol

> as if she could kill him with her stare.

I wouldn't bet against those eyes.
    8^)

19. Default Re: Oklahoma City News TV personalities: past & present.

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    A couple of years back one almost took out the station while following a Tornado that tracked from Bethany to Northwest Expressway to Wilshire and Kelly.

I remember the camera crew rushing with the staff to their Hidey Hole (sp). I remember the camera guy kept panning the crowd and stopping on Amy McRee. She then shot him the coldest look as if she could kill him with her stare. After that he stayed focused on Gary.
    Well, if you have to die, looking into Amy's eyes might just be the nicest way to go! I would much rather go that way than hearing "Talk to me Val" as my last memory! ;-)

> I would much rather go that way than hearing "Talk to me Val"
    > as my last memory!

I'm thinking Val would agree
    8^)

21. Default Re: Oklahoma City News TV personalities: past & present.

It would be nice to have an automated, very location-specific weather alert system, so that if a tornado was right on top of you, you'd get a recorded message from Amy with that warm sweet voice of hers, saying, "Thanks for watching me all these years, now kiss your butt goodbye!" ;-)

Where is innovation in broadcasting when you need it?! ;-)

Another WKY-TV alumnus is Ross Porter, who was the sports anchor in the mid 60s. He left OKC for the NBC affiliate in LA, then spent many years as radio PBP for the LA Dodgers.

Fred Norman was probably the most colorful, curmudgeonly weatherman in this market, on KOCO for a long time until he got a little too honest about the youth movement at the station which ultimately got him fired.
    I remember his "walking weather" spots, where they'd shoot stop-motion animation on film of the national weather board, showing impending weather fronts moving across the country. Fred would then stand in front of a greenscreen and walk around as the film was superimposed behind him. A family friend was stage manager at KOCO (he was also HoHo's sock puppet "Pokey") at the time and helped shoot those segments; said they were very time consuming. Today with CG, everyone does this stuff in a few seconds, but in the late 60s-early 70s, it was actually pretty advanced stuff.

Back when Jack Ogle was anchor, Jim Williams was WKY->KTVY->KFOR's weather man, and he's also local radio personality Danny Williams' brother....they used to have this completely dark/black set, with a spotllight only on the current segment's host. Little to no chitchat in those days.
    I met Jim Williams once, several years after he retired. Seemed like a super nice guy. Didn't know he was related to Danny, although I can see a bit of a resemblance. Never made the name connection, I guess.

Man, did I watch too much TV then or what...
    No comment. I'm probably just as guilty :-).

If my memory serves me right was there two female news casters that were killed a short time apart. One being killed in a helicopter and another on NW 36th and Walker?

Let's not forget Mike Steely's ex-wife Suzanne! With her infamous 'FAT ... LIKE ME!!!' exposé. LOL

Thread Information