Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Over the air TV and sub-channels

Default Re: Over the air TV and sub-channels

I would gladly take free 4K OTA in exchange for my viewing data...

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Is there a website that shows which channels one could expect based on location in the state? I haven't re-scanned in a few years so maybe that is why I am missing some channels or some channels are not clear? For instance we only get KFOR and KWTV but no KOCO.
    When you're located near the local limits for the high powered stations it can be frustrating to get consistently steady reception on all the channels from indoor antennas. I've found the paper thin square antenna won't get channel 5. However a bar antenna from Wal-Mart mounted at top of a window gets channel 5 well. However, channel 62 is the only channel that is shaky.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    My hope is it is on 43.3 after Escape leaves. Kinda wondering about that because KAUT 43 and KFOR 4 are both owned by Tribune Media, who also owns the Antenna TV network. Although Decades is not a true competitor for Antenna TV, it is another Baby Boomer network. And it is a joint venture CBS and Weigel Broadcasting, who own Me-TV. I also think that is the reason that Cozi TV wasn't picked up in OKC. NBC Universal owns Cozi TV, but I think Tribune didn't want it on their stations because it was too close a competitor to Antenna TV.
    Do those channels offer original programs or is it just recycled programs from syndication?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Do those channels offer original programs or is it just recycled programs from syndication?
    I really really hope it's the latter. Plenty of other channels dipped their toes in the nostalgia pool, got tired of paying licensing fees, and quickly went to crap when they decided they needed "original content". If someone wants to enjoy Family Ties and Knight Rider reruns, what's wrong with that?

I wish cable news, sports and special interest channels like HGTV, Sci-fi, Comedy and so on could be available on the sub TV channels. But I guess the cable companies don't ever want to see that happen. They suffer enough from the Internet as competition.

OTA has a better Sci-Fi channel than "Syfy". It's called Comet. No Comedy, but there's Laff.

The beauty of modern “Over the Air” is the tremendous amount if programming choices. OETA features HGTV style home improvement shows on sub channels 13.2 and 13.3, Sinclair Broadcasting is running sports nationwide with “Stadium” 25.3, Comedis on LAFF 52.3, etc.
    Oklahoma City features more than 35 free, over the air channels. Most of what you want is out there. Amazing world.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    When you're located near the local limits for the high powered stations it can be frustrating to get consistently steady reception on all the channels from indoor antennas. I've found the paper thin square antenna won't get channel 5. However a bar antenna from Wal-Mart mounted at top of a window gets channel 5 well. However, channel 62 is the only channel that is shaky.
    And I just so happen to have one of those thin antennas.

I am not opposed to upgrading my antenna, so could anyone recommend a good antenna either around the TV or installed in the attic? Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    And I just so happen to have one of those thin antennas.

I am not opposed to upgrading my antenna, so could anyone recommend a good antenna either around the TV or installed in the attic? Thanks in advance!
    Really, I wonder if there is such a thing as an indoor antenna with amp that gets all the high powered channels equally well as you get in the 40-50 mile range from the transmitters. Installing an antenna in the attic or on the roof would be too much of a bother to me and create an eyesore.

I have a Marathon HDTV antenna that i mounted in my attic and I get all available channels and they're crystal clear. It was a bit more expensive than others, but it works beautifully. I got it on www.freesignal.tv

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    I have a Marathon HDTV antenna that i mounted in my attic and I get all available channels and they're crystal clear. It was a bit more expensive than others, but it works beautifully. I got it on www.freesignal.tv
    We got lucky when we moved into our mid-70s Home eleven years ago, as there was an old VHF-UHF antenna already mounted in the attic. I ran new coax down to our TV and it works well. Rescanned our set this morning and it picked up 49 digital channels cleanly. We don’t use it often but it’s ready when Cox goes out.

If you have an old holdover antenna in the attic, don’t toss it!

We have a cheap $15 antenna in our attic (mounted with a zip tie) and cable running to a splitter to be distributed throughout the house. Really have no problems with any channels and get about 42-46 channels. Only problem is when our furnace kicks on, KFOR goes in and out for a bit.

Depending on where you live in relation to the OKC Tower farm, an amplified antenna could do more harm than good. If you are within 30 miles of Britton/Broadway extension, you probably don't need an amplified antenna.

Also, a good "cable like" free alternative to those with Apple TV's, Roku's, Fire Sticks, etc, take a look at the Pluto TV app. It's free content organized very much like a cable program guide with news and entertainment.

I've noticed that KAUT has taken off This TV on one of their subchannels, but KBZC 42 has added Cozi TV to one of theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    just so you and everyone else knows there is no such thing as an "HDTV" or "HD" antenna those are marketing gimics

KBZC 42 must be super low powered. I live near Reno and Sooner Road and have an outside antenna that is 20 feet high pointing North and I haven't received it in about four months. I thought they were gone.

Nope, I have a friend in Edmond and he gets it on his TV, but sometimes it fades in and out, thought I read somewhere since this whole repackaging that there moving to a another channel.

Cozi TV website mentions KBZC on their channel list.

Edmond is right in their backyard. I just looked up KBZC-LD on the FCC site and they are only transmitting at 7 kW which is very low for TV transmitters. Also their antenna is on the tower located at 35°44′22.8″ N, 97°29′1.8″W. That is a mile North of Waterloo Road and between Kelley and Broadway. If it is weak in Edmond, you can only imagine how it is in the rest of the metro.

19. Default Re: Over the air TV and sub-channels

Quote Originally Posted by DCARS View Post
    If it is weak in Edmond, you can only imagine how it is in the rest of the metro.
    Can't even sniff it in Moore.

I live in the Village and have had hell picking up 42 KBZC. Or, as I had to call it in order to remember the call letters, the BoZo Channel. I get a piss-poor signal as often as not. But, it carries (hopefully still does) Get TV, which has Sonny & Cher, Dolly Parton Show and other orphan1970s variety shows; BUZZR, which is Goodson-Todman library of 1950s-90s game shows (Match Game 74, Password, etc.), and other oddball or old man networks.

Cozi TV is an NBC/Universal owned & operated network, and I hoped after KFOR and KAUT owner Tribune Broadcasting sold out to Nexstar Media Group that Cozi TV would be added as a sub-channel on KAUT. Since Tribune Broadcasting was the founder and owner of Antenna TV, I never thought they would add Cozi TV to their lineup. Hopefully it can happen now, but the Baby-Boomer networks have been so successful they made programming expensive and fragmented the market. Networks such as ME-TV, Antenna TV, Decades, Cozi TV, Grit, Charge, Heroes & Icons, Retro TV, This TV and others are all part of the Baby-Boomer sub-channel phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I live in the Village and have had hell picking up 42 KBZC. Or, as I had to call it in order to remember the call letters, the BoZo Channel. I get a piss-poor signal as often as not. But, it carries (hopefully still does) Get TV, which has Sonny & Cher, Dolly Parton Show and other orphan1970s variety shows; BUZZR, which is Goodson-Todman library of 1950s-90s game shows (Match Game 74, Password, etc.), and other oddball or old man networks.

Cozi TV is an NBC/Universal owned & operated network, and I hoped after KFOR and KAUT owner Tribune Broadcasting sold out to Nexstar Media Group that Cozi TV would be added as a sub-channel on KAUT. Since Tribune Broadcasting was the founder and owner of Antenna TV, I never thought they would add Cozi TV to their lineup. Hopefully it can happen now, but the Baby-Boomer networks have been so successful they made programming expensive and fragmented the market. Networks such as ME-TV, Antenna TV, Decades, Cozi TV, Grit, Charge, Heroes & Icons, Retro TV, This TV and others are all part of the Baby-Boomer sub-channel phenomenon.
    Yep, it still carries Get TV on 42-4, Buzzr on 42-3, CBN on 42-2, don't know on 42-1, Cozi is on 42-5, and I think theres shopping channels on 42-6 and 42-7,

Buzzr is now streaming 24/7 on PlutoTV. Ever since Viacom acquired Pluto, they have turned it into a major player. If you haven’t looked in awhile — check it out. iOS, Android, Roku, others ... or just Pluto.tv in your browser.

Quote Originally Posted by DCARS View Post
    KBZC 42 must be super low powered. I live near Reno and Sooner Road and have an outside antenna that is 20 feet high pointing North and I haven't received it in about four months. I thought they were gone.
    Its is a super low-powered station with antenna only about 200' on the candelabra near Kilpatrick and Kelley in North OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by TVVoiceGuy View Post
    Its is a super low-powered station with antenna only about 200' on the candelabra near Kilpatrick and Kelley in North OKC.
    Is this temporary? Is this station licensed for higher power?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Is this temporary? Is this station licensed for higher power?
    I think it is permanent low power. I have been desperately trying to get a good tune on it in the Village for over two years. Sux. Sux. Sux.

Thread Information