Widgets Magazine

Thread: Streetcar

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

I much favor a loop system. That would make it a lot easier to add more cars onto the track at peak times and have more service during then. With a hub and spoke, there would only be one car on a track. The loop system would also encourage downtown to develop much more organically.

The hub and spoke system does have one advantage though, and that's that a collision with a car would have less impact on a spoke than if it were on a loop that the entire system is along.

Brick streets are no big deal.

Here's an example of what's happened in Houston with LIGHT RAIL. LRT typically moves a lot faster than streetcar and is less accessible to pedestrians, therefor it usually has its own right of way..but not in Houston. Streetcar typically poses next do NO risk to cars or pedestrians because it's slower and more accessible to pedestrians, stops more often, etc.

YouTube - Metro's Greatest Hits

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CV2rdGX4JYc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CV2rdGX4JYc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

edit: looks like Kerry already beat me to some of the answers..

Default Re: The Modern Streetcar and Commuter Transit Project in MAPS 3 Progresses

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Here's an example of what's happened in Houston with LIGHT RAIL. LRT typically moves a lot faster than streetcar and is less accessible to pedestrians, therefor it usually has its own right of way..but not in Houston.
    I will never make a left turn in Houston again. I hope those people were all okay.

Thread Information